Why would McCarthy choose Dallas?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
The NFL regards Dak much higher than Dallas fans do. Be fascinating to see just how good Dak is under a new regime.

Good or bad, at least we ll know and he gets that chance.

I just want the choices to be MMs and not the Jones boys.

Darkhound

Reaction score
Well, despite we are -and have been for quite some time- a mediocre team, this is a PRIME TOP NOTCH SPORTS FRANCHISE....

johneric8

Reaction score
I'm going to interject here... Personally, Dak is my favorite player and what I see from him is totally different than what some of you whom don't favor him see. I see a guy that has everything you would want that needs strong leadership and direction. I think if we're being objective here, most coaches would love to have Dak, even Billicheck. I honestly believe that McCarthy is salivating to have a guy like Prescott and understands that he has a very high ceiling.

Lets also not forget we do have good depth and not many pieces away from being a complete team roster wise. How great would it be for a guy like MM to come in after falling out with Green Bay show that he can resurrect our failing underachieving team? Think about it for a second, we should be dominating but we all know why were not. Jerry is giving him major control and respect here to do what he sees fit. MM also has one of the most talented running backs in Zeke the league has seen in years.

This is one of those times where I believe Jerry Jones honestly outplayed us the fanbase. Much of us wanted Meyer or a young hotshot, but that probably isn't what we needed right now. I honestly feel like this was a smart hire and great for all parties. You got a once great coach ready to prove himself, one that applied himself over an above the norm during his off time, and you got an owner whom is ready to get people of his back and willing to give space to a proven head coach.

You guys need to pinch yourselves here because we have have a Super Bowl winning coach in our locker room!! That alone is worth a ton within our locker room. Lets be honest with ourselves here for a second, our players had no one they really bought into or respected and this is the #1 reason for how quickly our talent would fold and check out. These players are going to start believing again because they have a coach who will exude confidence and preparation. You have to remember some of the best coaches don't necessarily run around and throw tantrums and scream to get their point across, some of them just give you a look.

We have cried for Jerry to keep his hands in the cookie jar and based on what we've seen thus far there is a chance of that happening. We have a coach whom is not in training, we have a coach whom has proved he has the nuts to get it done. Jerry and MM needs each other right now and there is a healthy respect for one another. I also love the fact that Jerry and Stephan knew after spending time with MM that he was their guy! I think in business you can't underestimate timing and the stars and the moon. I think the starts and moon aligned for all parties and we as fans need to be somewhat optimistic.

CWR

Reaction score
Because he’s an idiot? Over rated roster and a meddling owner. Jerry probably got him to commit after drinking a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue during their little sleep over.

So any coach that agrees to come here is an idiot?

John813

Reaction score
He has the talent on offense right away.

The opinion on Dak varies on here, but IMO he's a good QB.
A talented RB that is durable and can run/catch the ball.
*If Cooper is retained a great 1-2 option with Cooper and Gallup.
An offensive line that has regressed since 2016 but still is a top offensive line.

Defensively, they have talent in areas. Will see cornerback take a hit in depth/talent.
Hopefully Nolan employs a different defensive scheme than Rods, "stop the run on the way to the QB" crap.

Verdict

Reaction score
There have been all kinds of debates about the Joneses making Mike McCarthy the newest coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Some love the move, some hate it. Some think it was too quick. Some wanted the latest hot name or a college standout instead.

However, last night I started thinking about why McCarthy would want to come to Dallas. After all, there's no doubt that any potential coach had heard plenty about Jerry's meddling ways. The organizational failure of Jones has been discussed pretty much ad nauseam. Choosing Dallas means having to put up with Jerry's hands-all-over approach of owning a team.

McCarthy clearly had other teams interested in interviewing, yet he picked the Cowboys as much as the Cowboys picked him. It could have just been a money thing. It could even be the high-profile nature of the job. However, I think there also could have been a few other reasons.

1) McCarthy, like most of us, could easily see that this team underachieved under Garrett. He's not in a rebuilding situation, but one where he only should need to add a few parts to possibly achieve immediate success.

2) This could probably be added to one because it's saying the same thing: Coaches know they can't win without talent and key pieces are in place here. He doesn't have to find a quarterback. He doesn't have to find a stud running back. He's got four very solid pieces to the offensive line if they can stay healthy. If we bring back Cooper, he's got a very good receiving corps. On offense, the only real questions are starting tight end and left guard (and we got decent play there from both Williams and Su'a-Filo, plus we haven't even seen Connor McGovern yet).

Defense is a little more sketchy. We've got one very good defensive end, two very good linebackers and a few decent secondary players. However, McCarthy is an offensive coach so I'm sure the offense was the draft.

3) Despite all the negatives about Jones, coaches know that he will get them what they ask for. I know the team has changed some on that, going cheaper in free agency, but I feel some of that was influenced by Garrett and his process, and the right coach will be able to produce a shopping list and get Jerry to fill it. If McCarthy tells Jerry that he needs a certain player, I just can't see Jones being able to resist getting him.

Here are a few more:

1. The Dallas Cowboys is the biggest stage of all.
2. The facilities are second to none in Dallas.
3. His visibility (and marketability) for endorsements are second to none in Dallas.
4. Dallas is a good area to live in.
5. Family atmosphere in Dallas.
6. The franchise has underachieved so it will be easy to out-perform the former coaching regime.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Here are a few more:

3. His visibility (and marketability) for endorsements are second to none in Dallas.
6. The franchise has underachieved so it will be easy to out-perform the former coaching regime.

Agree with all of those but you forgot 1

# 7. Dallas is also the biggest pressure cooker in the NFL and if you don't perform that pressure only builds from week to week......goes with the job of coaching America's team

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Somewhat agree.

I saw where we will have $82+mil in cap space for 2020.

And depending on any new CBA being implimented..

there will be two tags available to use.

This is a huge break for the present.

Do not know if that is a green light for shopping for FAs or not.

I think we are sort of tight with our own roster resigning them.

But defense is definitely priority right now.

What Nolan decides at DL, CB and safety will make or break any real chance to improve.

The defense got beat by teams with average QBs all year. It was something that clearly was too much for the offense to overcome.

So no playoffs unless this gets fixed.

Dream all we want. Ain't going to happen.

Scoring 30+ pts and giving up 38 is not going to get it.

We will see.

82m is not as much as you think
put aside 8-9m for the draft class then figure out who you want to keep from this list none of these guys are signed for 2020 as of yet and if you don't sign them you will have to sign a few FA to replace them can't do it all from the draft

Dak
Cooper
Quinn
Cobb
Byron Jones
Malik Collins
Michael Bennett
Sean lee
Joe Looney
Joe Thomas

there are a list of others too but these are the main guys

BoysForLife

Reaction score
82m is not as much as you think
put aside 8-9m for the draft class then figure out who you want to keep from this list none of these guys are signed for 2020 as of yet and if you don't sign them you will have to sign a few FA to replace them can't do it all from the draft

Dak
Cooper
Quinn
Cobb
Byron Jones
Malik Collins
Michael Bennett
Sean lee
Joe Looney
Joe Thomas

there are a list of others too but these are the main guys

Good analysis, it seems people think we have this unlimited money supply to sign everyone we want at any figure.

and if they give approx half that $82 million to Dak, that doesn't leave much left over to sign everyone else. Or a suitable replacement/upgrade, which on the FA market will probably cost more than re-signing the guys we have.

willia451

Reaction score
Why?

Because the Cowboys pulled out all the stops to get him. And Jerry probably agreed to meet most if not all the conditions he stipulated.

MM and the guys he's going to bring in are are all "Win Now" guys. And the Cowboys are the biggest stage in Sports. It's an exciting challenge for them.

Plus. Play time is over. If Jerry wants to expand his empire he needs success in the playoffs. 25 years and counting simply won't do anymore. The Star is starting to tarnish and the memories of past glories are fading.

Time to get something going.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When we know McCarthy has already signed on the dotted line, what difference does it make why MM chooses to come to Dallas? I can think of a lot of reasons people choose to raise a family in Texas rather than Wisconsin. The tax advantages alone are worth considering.

CB61

Reaction score
There have been all kinds of debates about the Joneses making Mike McCarthy the newest coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Some love the move, some hate it. Some think it was too quick. Some wanted the latest hot name or a college standout instead.

However, last night I started thinking about why McCarthy would want to come to Dallas. After all, there's no doubt that any potential coach had heard plenty about Jerry's meddling ways. The organizational failure of Jones has been discussed pretty much ad nauseam. Choosing Dallas means having to put up with Jerry's hands-all-over approach of owning a team.

McCarthy clearly had other teams interested in interviewing, yet he picked the Cowboys as much as the Cowboys picked him. It could have just been a money thing. It could even be the high-profile nature of the job. However, I think there also could have been a few other reasons.

1) McCarthy, like most of us, could easily see that this team underachieved under Garrett. He's not in a rebuilding situation, but one where he only should need to add a few parts to possibly achieve immediate success.

2) This could probably be added to one because it's saying the same thing: Coaches know they can't win without talent and key pieces are in place here. He doesn't have to find a quarterback. He doesn't have to find a stud running back. He's got four very solid pieces to the offensive line if they can stay healthy. If we bring back Cooper, he's got a very good receiving corps. On offense, the only real questions are starting tight end and left guard (and we got decent play there from both Williams and Su'a-Filo, plus we haven't even seen Connor McGovern yet).

Defense is a little more sketchy. We've got one very good defensive end, two very good linebackers and a few decent secondary players. However, McCarthy is an offensive coach so I'm sure the offense was the draft.

3) Despite all the negatives about Jones, coaches know that he will get them what they ask for. I know the team has changed some on that, going cheaper in free agency, but I feel some of that was influenced by Garrett and his process, and the right coach will be able to produce a shopping list and get Jerry to fill it. If McCarthy tells Jerry that he needs a certain player, I just can't see Jones being able to resist getting him.
They figured all that out at the sleepover at Jerrys house LOL

willia451

Reaction score
When we know McCarthy has already signed on the dotted line, what difference does it make why MM chooses to come to Dallas? I can think of a lot of reasons people choose to raise a family in Texas rather than Wisconsin. The tax advantages alone are worth considering.

Property tax is 3 times more here in Texas than in the Midwest. Just saying.

aria

Reaction score
So any coach that agrees to come here is an idiot?
I question their thought process to work with an owner that is so involved that his team has barely sniffed the playoffs in 25 years. Parcells was about the only one worth a dang and Jerry only hired him to help endorse his new stadium.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Here are a few more:

#6 is an emotional response..

the fact is its not easy to win divisions and go to the 2nd round of the playoffs.. or the playoffs period. Ask all the teams that consistently do NOT..

I know we need to go further but further is an NFCCG appearance, last I checked only 2 teams make that in each conference.

so if it were easy the same teams would do it every year but for the most part outside NE , there are consistently new teams in it.. this year the 2nd round only one team from last year is back..

Lets remember this as I realize we as fans have higher standards for our goal but its not like we were trash garett won 3 divisions in 6 years and got to the second round last year.. easy to surpass that is a lack of understanding or education how hard that is to do..

Kaiser

Reaction score
Packers? You mean the game where he almost threw for 500 yards? And and I recall him destroying the Eagles.

With all due respect, you can do this with any QB. "Hey look, they had a few bad games!" You are the type who screamed about Romo when he was here and now cries over his absence.

"Dak didn't have a TD in the NE Game!!"

"Neither did Brady"

"ummmm"

Darthkuriboh

Reaction score
What does that even mean? I know Garrett wasn't successful, but the Cowboys won a decent amount under him. Three conference titles in five years. You talk like we're discussing the Browns here.

Division titles. we never even made it to the nfc title game.

garyv

Reaction score

Existing Talent and to the NFL what the Yankees are to Baseball