Why would McCarthy choose Dallas?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
$10 million is higher and reasonable for the way the Cowboys structure deals. It generally starts with a low salary with a prorated portion of the player's bonus. If Dallas wants to, it can take more of a hit that first year, but that hasn't been typical for the team.

They can get away with 10m cap for Cooper the 1st year but there is not a chance they get away with anything less than 20m cap hit for Dak in the 1st year of any deal he signs because with the kind of contract he is demanding it would just make the cap hit to big in future years

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
We'll see what McCarthy thinks of Jarwin. He would seem to be a better fit for a West Coast scheme. However, I can't say at this point that there weren't reasons for his limited playing time beyond the fact that Witten returned.

Because him and Garrett were good friends is one reason I can think of.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They can get away with 10m cap for Cooper the 1st year but there is not a chance they get away with anything less than 20m cap hit for Dak in the 1st year of any deal he signs because with the kind of contract he is demanding it would just make the cap hit to big in future years

Depends on how much the bonus is and how they structure it.

Using Wentz as an example, his signing bonus could be lower ($16 million) with a roster bonus ($29 million) set to kick in the next year. With that structure, the Eagles paid Wentz $8.3 million the first year of his new deal.

First-year hit is just going to depend on how much of the overall hit Dallas wants to absorb that year compared to the following year.

The Cowboys could go the Russell Wilson route and give him a big chunk of change as a signing bonus and take a big hit the first year. (Again, I don't see Dallas doing that because it hasn't been the Joneses' MO.)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I know Cobb wants to return with McCarthy as HC. Seems that he may be willing to take a deal similar to the one he was on this past season. His wife likes the Dallas area and has been applying for law firms in the area.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Depends on how much the bonus is and how they structure it.

Using Wentz as an example, his signing bonus could be lower ($16 million) with a roster bonus ($29 million) set to kick in the next year. With that structure, the Eagles paid Wentz $8.3 million the first year of his new deal.

First-year hit is just going to depend on how much of the overall hit Dallas wants to absorb that year compared to the following year.

Ya because they had the 5th year option to play with if they needed to. So Wentz took 30m signing bonus and a small salary, better than the approx 20m his 5th year option would have brought him. Cowboys have no such luxury with Dak. With the kind of deal Dak is reportedly asking for 35-40m per season (and who knows how much guaranteed money) the Cowboys can't afford an 8-10m cap hit the 1st season, if they do then the cap hits by the 3rd year will be ridiculous and depending on the amount of guaranteed money they would have a hard time getting out of the deal if they wanted to. At best Dak will have a 15m cap hit for 2020 on any deal he signs probably closer to 20 and that's only if he signs a deal if they tag him his cap hit is going to be approx 32m for 2020

CWR

Reaction score
I question their thought process to work with an owner that is so involved that his team has barely sniffed the playoffs in 25 years. Parcells was about the only one worth a dang and Jerry only hired him to help endorse his new stadium.

Fair enough, but if you think every coach that comes here is an idiot for accepting the job it makes for a pretty doomed season. Obviously your prerogative

My problem with that thought process is people have blabbered about how we cant get a legitimate coach for years and its just not true. McCarthy's coaching abilities can be debated, but his resume can't. Neither can the interest from other teams.

Which leads me to believe its not as bad as people believe it to once be. He hired his D coordinator and it appears he will fill out the rest of HIS staff. Key for me is that he calls the plays, anything less will be a red flag.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Which makes sense *only* if you're convinced you have your QB for the next 6-8 years.

Do you believe McCarthy, or Jerry for that matter, are sold on that? You dont want the possibility of a major cap hit down the road for a guy you aren't even 100% convinced is your guy right now

I think Jerry is convinced and McCarthy likely had to sign off on Dak to get the job.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Its going to be something to watch next year. I think Frederick was about 80% of his past form so he clearly has room to improve. Martin was still excellent and Collins improved a lot. Conner Williams should continue to improve and having him for a full season would obviously help, but Tyron Smith is still a big question mark.

I think McGovern as a starting quality backup is going to be a big help also, Bob Sturm did a review after the draft where he considered McGovern a better prospect than Conner Williams.
I think McGovern will get first team reps (especially if Williams is still not quite 100% post surgery ).

Tyron based on 2019 shouldn't be nearly as much of a question mark as years prior. Most media thought he had the best 2019 training camp out of any player and if it wasn't for a fluke injury (Dak prescott crashing his full body weight into Smiths ankles) this would of been the most healthy he has been since 2016

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I also think that $82 million isn't factoring in the rise of the salary cap or the rollover cap from this year. Everything I had seen said we should have $90+ million in cap space next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fair enough, but if you think every coach that comes here is an idiot for accepting the job it makes for a pretty doomed season. Obviously your prerogative

My problem with that thought process is people have blabbered about how we cant get a legitimate coach for years and its just not true. McCarthy's coaching abilities can be debated, but his resume can't. Neither can the interest from other teams.

Which leads me to believe its not as bad as people believe it to once be. He hired his D coordinator and it appears he will fill out the rest of HIS staff. Key for me is that he calls the plays, anything less will be a red flag.
Moore and Kitna not staying?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Ridiculous question. Dallas was still the #1 job available this year.
Very few coaches would choose another job over coaching the Cowboys. Only sour fans doubt that.

The Cowboys were a huge mess when Parcells came out of retirement for the challenge. Do you think the Cowboys were the only option for Parcells? Almost everyone wants to coach or play for or cheer for the Dallas Cowboys, no matter what the current situation is.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I think Jerry is convinced and McCarthy likely had to sign off on Dak to get the job.

Of Jerry is convinced then why hasn't Dak already been signed?

When has Jerry ever waited to pay someone big $$? Zeke is the longest he's waited in decades and even then he signed him before season started.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ridiculous question. Dallas was still the #1 job available this year.
Very few coaches would choose another job over coaching the Cowboys. Only sour fans doubt that.

The Cowboys were a huge mess when Parcells came out of retirement for the challenge. Do you think the Cowboys were the only option for Parcells? Almost everyone wants to coach or play for or cheer for the Dallas Cowboys, no matter what the current situation is.
Were we so impressed by McCarthy we didn’t interview anyone else except our other token to satisfy Rooney Rule?

For being the most attractive job you’d think we bring all the top prospects in?