Video: Will Cain: If we don't make it to NFCGG then Garrett must be fired

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Kellen Moore has to save him because this offense has been predictable and basic since the day he was hired and the offenses were at their best when we didn’t have a million tendencies that teams could lock onto.

Garrett finally has a deep loaded roster so we’ll see what he does with it.

Zordon

Reaction score
so...just hypothetically speaking....if we went 10-6, won a wild card game and lost in the first round....meaning we have won the NFC east 4 out of the last 6 years and 3 playoff games during that time, you would get rid of Garrett just bc he didnt make it to the NFCG?

Look i get it....but at the end of the day you want this team to be successful in the regular season as well as the playoffs and, while i would be frustrated, if they played that well with a new OC then there has to be some credit given.

Every year 28 teams do not make the championship games....just saying..
Really dude?

Garrett is starting his 13th season in Dallas as a coach, 9th as head coach. Historical data shows that if he were to make it to the NFCCG, he would have done it by now (see below). Since 1996, the longest it took a head coach to make it to the NFCCG was 7 seasons by Dennis Green. We are approaching a decade with Garrett as HC, yet you would seriously consider giving him another contract if we remained in the mix throughout the season and won a playoff game?

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/the...s-reached-there-on-average-in-3-years.427455/

I went back and looked at all NFCGG coaches since 1996. On average it took them 3 years to get to their first NFCCG from their hire date with their perspective team. Four did it in their first season. Nearly 50% did it within two seasons. Food for thought as Garrett enters his 9th season.

JdDgo7k.png

stilltheguru

Reaction score
nope, not at all....i just realize that every year if you focus on simply winning the superbowl you have a 31/32 chance of being disappointed.

For me, this is all about entertainment and how long i get to enjoy....my goals are always as folllows:

1) be in playoff hunt at Thanksgiving
2) make every game during the season a game that has meaning (aka not eliminated from playoffs)
3) make playoffs
4) win division
5) win a playoff game
6) make it to the NFCG
7) make it to the SB
8) win the SB

if they get through half of them then the way i see it i have gotten a good season of enjoyment, and everything else is great. I love the cowboys and have been a crazed fan since the late 80's but now i realize that if you just focus on the destination and not the journey then you are going to have more heartbreak and frustration than you really need

Call me what you want, but we all get enjoyment from different things and for me every additional game i get to watch wiht my 3 and 5 year old that has meaning is a win to me.
A lot of coaches can give you that without being an annoying clapping clown. Hell, Jay Gruden was headed to a decent year with Alex Smith until his injury. We have way more talent than Washington. Gruden would do no worse in Dallas. Garrett is nothing. Not bad, not good.

Sydla

Reaction score
and the sterotypical cowboys fans has superbowl "expectations" every year...so whats your point? I grew up in Plano till i was 19 and meet plenty of cowboys fans all over the country that expect them to win the superbowl every year simply bc they are the cowboys....come on dude, i don't have low standards i just have made a choice to focus on the journey rather than the destination that only 1 team is going to achieve each year

I don’t expect them to win a SB. I am just shooting for them making a NFCCG. They certainly have the talent to do so. I am not sure about the coaching.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, no. I don't agree that it's NFCCG or bust.

I do agree we've got a good enough team that the Championship game is realistic this season, though.

GenoT

Reaction score
Kellen Moore has to save him because this offense has been predictable and basic since the day he was hired and the offenses were at their best when we didn’t have a million tendencies that teams could lock onto.

Garrett finally has a deep loaded roster so we’ll see what he does with it.
However...if Kellen Moore doesn’t turn out to be the second coming of Sid Gillman, and the team falters because of the offense, then Jerry’s gonna point to KM’s inexperience and give JG another pass.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I think this year is all about auditioning Kellen Moore for the next HC of the Dallas Cowboys. If he turns out to be Jerry's McVay, Moore will be the HC next year. If the team doesn't have a good year, Garrett will be gone, and Moore will still be the front runner to be HC, but others will be interviewed.

Them

Reaction score
...past the Divisional rounds and more....get er done!...and Zeke get back to camp...now!...:angry:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you are fine with giving Garrett an extension if they underachieve? Again?

I don’t think they’ve underachieved to-date. I think most of you guys think this roster has been way better than it actually has been, generally.

I can see scenarios where we don’t make it to a championship game this season and it’s the head coach’s fault. Just like I can see scenarios where we don’t make it due to factors entirely outside of his control. Can’t you?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And who established we’ve under achieved?

We had the greatest turn around in Cowboys history after beginning 3-5 to make the playoffs.

We were one player away from missing the playoffs two consecutive years.

Reaction score
Yeah,,, cuz God knows this team hasn't been steadily improving and wins in the playoffs are guaranteed for fans who believe in their QB.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Well Jerry thinks this is the best young talent he has assembled since hes been owner, that's what they said on broadcast the other night....so it must be Championship game or bust.

Guess he forgot about the 90s young talented teams.

Brax

Reaction score
Excellent post.

I am as disappointed as anybody when the cowboys have a bad season, don’t make the playoffs, and when they lose in the playoffs and the season is over.

But you’re right. Watching football is supposed to be entertainment. I love watching the cowboys play. The 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016 and 2018 seasons all ended in disappointment. But they were all incredibly fun seasons to watch up until the playoff losses lol.

I can’t even sleep after most cowboys games because I am still hyped up. If it’s a primetime game I don’t get to sleep until around 3am. (I live on the east coast). And if they win. I am up listening to postgame shows, watching the highlights and overall savoring the win.
You have the right outlook, enjoy, have your opinions sure we all do, but mainly enjoy the games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so...just hypothetically speaking....if we went 10-6, won a wild card game and lost in the first round....meaning we have won the NFC east 4 out of the last 6 years and 3 playoff games during that time, you would get rid of Garrett just bc he didnt make it to the NFCG?

Who cares about "winning the NFC East? So you have the best record out of four team? Big whoop! Yes, if he doesn't take a deep, talented team further in the playoffs than the year before, he's fired and you get someone that you think can take you further. After 10 years, Garrett will have shown his limitations without a doubt.

Look i get it....but at the end of the day you want this team to be successful in the regular season as well as the playoffs and, while i would be frustrated, if they played that well with a new OC then there has to be some credit given.

I'm willing to bet that if "new" anything is the excuse, there will never come a time where you would hold Garrett accountable. There will be something "new" every year.

Every year 28 teams do not make the championship games....just saying..

Just making excuses is more like it.