Video: Will Cain: If we don't make it to NFCGG then Garrett must be fired

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then kick him upstairs and get a competent coach who isn't constantly owned by opposing head coaches.

It's been a decade and all this team does with him as HC is wheel spinning and getting nowhere.
Jerry doesn’t want a HC who could gain more credit. If he did he wouldn’t continue hiring puppets and manhandling football operations.

Remember Jerry tried winning championships with a proven HC but didn’t like it when there was an ego bigger than his who received too much credit for the success.

And he wasn’t owned by Pete Carroll in playoffs last year. I’m not advocating Garrett is a great HC but he’s obviously good enough when he has the talent or we couldn’t have beat Seattle. More likely we are simply getting beat by better teams.

Last edited:

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I get what Will is saying and I said that for most of the offseason. But let's say Dallas does make the NFC Championship game and loses like Minnesota did to Philly two years ago? I won't be okay with extending Garrett in that case.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me, when you have the #1 seed and lose the first playoff game, you've underachieved.

Losing Romo should not have turned into a 3-13 season in 2015. Underachieved.

I know to yourself and many others Garrett is never accountable for anything, but I beg to differ.

The list of excuses to keep Garrett is endless. And I know that if they finish 8-8 this year, that laundry list of excuses will grow even more.

So yes, I think the odds of Garrett getting an extension after this year even after even if they finish 8-8 (which is very possible) is very high. Because nothing is ever is fault. He is never outcoached. This will please many people around the Star and CZ.

That doesn't mean I have to like it.

You needn't worry about it. It's it happening. What the few remaining Garrett holdouts can't acknowledge is this fact. The one that everyone else can realize.

Jerry Jones had his excuse to extend Garrett. This team came back to win ten games, including a playoff game. The excuse was there, and few would have argued against Jones giving Garrett an extension then. Jones made it a point NOT TO. He willfully chose to have this thing play out. He will not follow up that decision and the backlash that would come by extending the man after a lesser season.

That's out there for the world to see. But a tiny minority have chose willful ignorance for themselves. They can cover their own eyes to it, but not anyone else's.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Don't worry. He will "overcome adversity" this season and sign a 3 year extension. While being outed in the divisional round or sooner.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Cowboy fans want another HC like Jimmy or even Bill then they need to root for a total collapse or revenue threatened with empty seats in the stadium.

Cause it’s unlikely Jerry’s arrogant ways have room for another proven HC to steal his thunder especially when he thinks he’s so close to finally proving he’s a Football Guy without a HC like Jimmy.

Reaction score
Jerry doesn’t want a HC who could gain more credit. If he did he wouldn’t continue hiring puppets and manhandling football operations.

Remember Jerry tried winning championships with a proven HC but didn’t like it when there was an ego bigger than his who received too much credit for the success.
I get it. Jerry's ego is bigger than the state of Texas. We all know this.

But I'm not going to just shrug my shoulders and accept it. I want the team to move forward in the playoffs. Get to Super Bowls again. I don't think Garrett can do that. It has to be somebody else.

Will it happen. Probable not for the reasons you have stated many times. The difference between you and me is that you are fine with this state of affairs and I am not.

And that's OK. And even though I know it's futile, I am going to keep pushing for change because I think it's in the teams best interests to do so.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did he look like the one in War Room making the decisions? No. It’s all about having Jerrys ear and attempting to convince him to go against his instincts.

Will has done a great job finding prospects to fill the vision of Garrett. What a Chief Scouts job is. And of course it was Garretts influence initially to name Will asst to Stephen.

Not sure why fans don’t want to credit Garrett as the major voice in the collaboration influencing the culture change and roster building we’ve seen since 2011?

Because prior to that, he was a big part of the problem. He botched the OL rebuild in 2010 and thats the reason we used all those first round picks. Garret thought T-rex costa was the answer at center. It was Romo who told him he needs a better center. He had as much to do with McLays promotion as he did with hiring of Bill Callahan. Garret is no king maker.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry has always had the power and money to bring in any HC . But since Jimmy left he has chosen lesser HC’s than most of us would have wanted with the lone exception of Parcells only because he needed resurrection from his lowest point following 3 straight 5-11 seasons to build support for a new stadium.

I’d love to hear those arguments on why Jerry has continued to bring in lesser HC’s than pursuing the top names available.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...I know to yourself and many others Garrett is never accountable for anything, but I beg to differ.

This isn’t actually at all how I feel on the topic. Nor have I seen anyone else ever post on the board who this might apply to, so it makes me question your willingness to look at the problem objectively.

You’ve got good point that the 2016 underachieved, though. I think those teams were pretty evenly matched, but we lost a home playoff game.

ICP

Reaction score
Lol, I think he should be fired even if he out-coaches Belichick and blows out the Patriots in the Super Bowl

Reaction score
You needn't worry about it. It's it happening. What the few remaining Garrett holdouts can't acknowledge is this fact. The one that everyone else can realize.

Jerry Jones had his excuse to extend Garrett. This team came back to win ten games, including a playoff game. The excuse was there, and few would have argued against Jones giving Garrett an extension then. Jones made it a point NOT TO. He willfully chose to have this thing play out. He will not follow up that decision and the backlash that would come by extending the man after a lesser season.

That's out there for the world to see. But a tiny minority have chose willful ignorance for themselves. They can cover their own eyes to it, but not anyone else's.
I'm going to try going into this season as a win-win. Either Garrett FINALLY breaks through and gets to where he has never been before - Win.

Or he gets canned - Win.

What would be you, me and many others crazy would be a mediocre year, another list of excuses and a Garret extension.

How Jerry could sell that to his fanbase, I have no idea. But Jerry can sell air conditioning units to eskimos in January.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because prior to that, he was a big part of the problem. He botched the OL rebuild in 2010 and thats the reason we used all those first round picks. Garret thought T-rex costa was the answer at center. It was Romo who told him he needs a better center. He had as much to do with McLays promotion as he did with hiring of Bill Callahan. Garret is no king maker.
Garrett by most beat writers and critics I’ve read locally has been the greatest influence in building this roster and current culture. Believe what you will.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I get it. Jerry's ego is bigger than the state of Texas. We all know this.

But I'm not going to just shrug my shoulders and accept it. I want the team to move forward in the playoffs. Get to Super Bowls again. I don't think Garrett can do that. It has to be somebody else.

Will it happen. Probable not for the reasons you have stated many times. The difference between you and me is that you are fine with this state of affairs and I am not.

And that's OK. And even though I know it's futile, I am going to keep pushing for change because I think it's in the teams best interests to do so.
I’m not fine with it. I’ve just accepted the handicaps and hindrances Jerry’s ways presents and looking for a way to overcome them within the parameters Jerry will allow.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett by most beat writers and critics I’ve read locally has been the greatest influence in building this roster and current culture. Believe what you will.

Local beat writers huh...........with credentials and access to the cowboys contingent on their objectivity. lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm going to try going into this season as a win-win. Either Garrett FINALLY breaks through and gets to where he has never been before - Win.

Or he gets canned - Win.

What would be you, me and many others crazy would be a mediocre year, another list of excuses and a Garret extension.

How Jerry could sell that to his fanbase, I have no idea. But Jerry can sell air conditioning units to eskimos in January.
How has Jerry sold to his fan base the last couple decades with his meddling which is the core cause of our lack of success.?

Jerry is the one we should be attacking not someone who is a product of his dysfunctional organization.

Unless next puppet up is simply going to make you feel better and provide more hope.

This fans sees the current puppet as our best hope for a consistent contender and potential breakthrough at some point. I’m not really sure it’s possible with Jerry’s ways though. Even when he brought in a Parcells his meddling still curtailed success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Local beat writers huh...........with credentials and access to the cowboys contingent on their objectivity. lol
I certainly trust their opinions , credentials and objectivity more than some anonymous fans on the internet. Lol

Reaction score
This isn’t actually at all how I feel on the topic. Nor have I seen anyone else ever post on the board who this might apply to, so it makes me question your willingness to look at the problem objectively.

You’ve got good point that the 2016 underachieved, though. I think those teams were pretty evenly matched, but we lost a home playoff game.
I think I'm quite objective. I'm sure you saw that list of coaches thats made the NFCCG the past 20 years to so and how long it took them.

It's a decade and counting for Garrett. Hasn't sniffed one yet. He should be held accountable for this. But he isn't. The proof that he is not held accountable is that he is still employed. Some are ok with this. Some are not. I'm not.

I am well aware that my blathering on Garrett is likely futile. He is Jerry's boy. But I don't have to like it.

pansophy

Reaction score

And he wasn’t owned by Pete Carroll in playoffs last year. I’m not advocating Garrett is a great HC but he’s obviously good enough when he has the talent or we couldn’t have beat Seattle. More likely we are simply getting beat by better teams.
Yeah I mean who is Jerry going to find who is better and doesn’t care that he and Stephen are in the limelight? I mean I don’t follow other teams that much but I don’t hear much from other owners and GMs, while Jerry is in the news saying something every week.