Video: Will Cain: If we don't make it to NFCGG then Garrett must be fired

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Philly winning a super bowl has turned up the heat on Garret. ........and they were banged up and had some of their best players on IR. They turned that team around in 2 years while this is Garret's 9th. At some point, the excuses have to stop even for Jerry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this year is all about auditioning Kellen Moore for the next HC of the Dallas Cowboys. If he turns out to be Jerry's McVay, Moore will be the HC next year. If the team doesn't have a good year, Garrett will be gone, and Moore will still be the front runner to be HC, but others will be interviewed.

I don't think he would jump over Kris Richard in the pecking order so quickly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Philly winning a super bowl has turned up the heat on Garret. ........and they were banged up and had some of their best players on IR. They turned that team around in 2 years while this is Garret's 9th. At some point, the excuses have to stop even for Jerry.

It's clear that they have, it's just a few holdouts huddled together in a corner who refuse to realize it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think he would jump over Kris Richard in the pecking order so quickly.

Yeah, I think Lincoln Riley has a better shot than Kellen Moore at this point (whose following in the same career path as Garret.........back-up QB being gifted coaching jobs they haven't earned.)

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Nope, it is definitely time! Well, it has been time, but so far the only thing Garrett has shown is that he can run to the end of his chain and bark. He has has a decade to do this. Win BIG or go home this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I think Lincoln Riley has a better shot than Kellen Moore at this point (whose following in the same career path as Garret.........back-up QB being gifted coaching jobs they haven't earned.)

While I will still be on that 'Sean Payton to Dallas' bandwagon until they hire someone else. I still think he's ultimately the next head coach of this team.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I will still be on that 'Sean Payton to Dallas' bandwagon until they hire someone else. I still think he's ultimately the next head coach of this team.

I have no issue with that......... I just doubt Jerry can swallow the pride required to let Sean Payton do what he does. No way Payton lets Jerry pick his staff and have final say over roster. We would have to be in the gutter and it would only last until the team showed signs of turnaround. Parcels 2.0

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no issue with that......... I just doubt Jerry can swallow the pride required to let Sean Payton do what he does. No way Payton lets Jerry pick his staff and have final say over roster. We would have to be in the gutter and it would only last until the team showed signs of turnaround.

I don't see it as an issue at all. Payton has never struck me as a guy that has needed a whole bunch of power or roster control. In fact, he strikes me as a guy that loves coaching offense, and just wants a good defensive coordinator to coach that side of the ball. If he gets that? He's both happy and very successful.

I think that he and Mickey Loomis do a great job of balancing roles and responsibilities and I have no doubt that things could work the same with the Cowboys. Football people on the outside can clearly see how well the Dallas personnel staff - Joneses included - have done for several years in assembling player talent. And any capable coach would love to get their hands in that talent, knowing that they could do a better job that the current coach from an X's and O's standpoint.

Valkyr

Reaction score
As long as the guy playing GM still breathes air, Garrett or someone like him is the best we're going to be able to do.

We need Jerry to be 'comfortable' after all.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Each season stands on its own merit. I’m not sure how you set measurements on this season before it unfolds?

Of course there’s goals but we aren’t even picked to win the division this year. We were basically one player away last year after starting the season 3-5 from finishing .500 or below before having the greatest turn around in Cowboys history to make the playoffs.

Now we have some fans placing going to the championship game as some sort of ultimatum. Totally ridiculous. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have no issue with that......... I just doubt Jerry can swallow the pride required to let Sean Payton do what he does. No way Payton lets Jerry pick his staff and have final say over roster. We would have to be in the gutter and it would only last until the team showed signs of turnaround. Parcels 2.0
Yep

I hope that when this thought or instinct with Payton is put to rest we can place all of this members thoughts and instincts on our coaching situation to rest.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

I hope that when this thought or instinct with Payton is put to rest we can place all of this members thoughts and instincts on our coaching situation to rest.

Doesn't excuse Garret and his poor game management. Not sure how chaz green wasn't the last straw fro you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Doesn't excuse Garret and his poor game management. Not sure how chaz green wasn't the last straw fro you.
My support of Garrett isn’t revolved around his coaching flaws. It’s the influence he’s had on our ownership in building a more talented roster and better culture. He’s like a walk around GM.

The key is surrounding Garrett with more experienced and proven asst coaches which don’t appear to intimidate Jerry like a proven HC does who could threaten taking more of the credit away like Jimmy did.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My support of Garrett isn’t revolved around his coaching flaws. It’s the influence he’s had on our ownership in building a more talented roster and better culture. He’s like a walk around GM.

The key is surrounding Garrett with more experienced and proven asst coaches which don’t appear to intimidate Jerry like a proven HC does who could threaten taking more of the credit away like Jimmy did.

I'd credit McLay for the more talented roster.

Reaction score
I don’t think they’ve underachieved to-date. I think most of you guys think this roster has been way better than it actually has been, generally.

I can see scenarios where we don’t make it to a championship game this season and it’s the head coach’s fault. Just like I can see scenarios where we don’t make it due to factors entirely outside of his control. Can’t you?
To me, when you have the #1 seed and lose the first playoff game, you've underachieved.

Losing Romo should not have turned into a 3-13 season in 2015. Underachieved.

I know to yourself and many others Garrett is never accountable for anything, but I beg to differ.

The list of excuses to keep Garrett is endless. And I know that if they finish 8-8 this year, that laundry list of excuses will grow even more.

So yes, I think the odds of Garrett getting an extension after this year even after even if they finish 8-8 (which is very possible) is very high. Because nothing is ever is fault. He is never outcoached. This will please many people around the Star and CZ.

That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Reaction score

Then kick him upstairs and get a competent coach who isn't constantly owned by opposing head coaches.

It's been a decade and all this team does with him as HC is wheel spinning and getting nowhere.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd credit McLay for the more talented roster.
Did he look like the one in War Room making the decisions? No. It’s all about having Jerrys ear and attempting to convince him to go against his instincts.

Will has done a great job finding prospects to fill the vision of Garrett. What a Chief Scouts job is. And of course it was Garretts influence initially to name Will asst to Stephen.

Not sure why fans don’t want to credit Garrett as the major voice in the collaboration influencing the culture change and roster building we’ve seen since 2011?