Will Cooper Rush be cut?

leeblair

Reaction score
Serious question: With Trey Lance and Dak Prescott, will the Cowboys cut/release Cooper Rush as the roster tightens?
They may do it as a favor to him to allow him to find another team who needs a stable backup rather than keeping him as a third string emergency option.

leeblair

Reaction score
How about let Trey Lance prove something first? Rush at least has shown he can manage games. Lance has shown very little in the NFL.
I'm for Rush, but I don't know that he would do as well in McCarthy's system as he did under Kellen Moore.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'm for Rush, but I don't know that he would do as well in McCarthy's system as he did under Kellen Moore.
I would hope McCarthy would be able to adjust the gameplan for Rush if Dak was to go down as well as Kellen did. McCarthy is supposed to be a QB guru and specialize in doing such things with his offenses. I think Rush would be fine for what he is.

But yeah, if Trey Lance shows upside to be a starter or viable backup then Rush should be shown the door.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Serious question: With Trey Lance and Dak Prescott, will the Cowboys cut/release Cooper Rush as the roster tightens?
They may do it as a favor to him to allow him to find another team who needs a stable backup rather than keeping him as a third string emergency option.
No.

Rush is the ultimate relief pitcher.

He’s not a starter.

But he’s an elite QB2.

Dallas loves Rush. For good reason.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I would hope McCarthy would be able to adjust the gameplan for Rush if Dak was to go down as well as Kellen did. McCarthy is supposed to be a QB guru and specialize in doing such things with his offenses. I think Rush would be fine for what he is.

But yeah, if Trey Lance shows upside to be a starter or viable backup then Rush should be shown the door.
lance is for real.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No reason for me to think this way other than just suspicion however I get the sense that they might try to utilize Lance with a few packages this year. I could see Dak as the starter, Rush as the backup, and Lance as a 5-10 snap per game RPO situational package type of player.

exciter

Reaction score
Conventional wisdom he should fair better in McCarthy’s system than Moore’s. The original scouting reports even said he’d basically be relegated to backup in a west coast offense because of his lack of velocity!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trance has an opportunity to compete with Rush.

Look at the current depth chart.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Isn't there some rule now where teams are suppose to carry 3 QB's?
There is no rule that you must have three QB on your 53 man roster. There is a rule that allows you to dress a third QB for games if he is on your 53 man roster and he will not count against your 48 man game roster. He can come into the game if both your QBs are unable to continue to play.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Well, we cut him once and no team wanted him. I would say it’s a low risk move to cut him again.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Rush is going to get real popular if/when some team's QB1 goes down this July or August. There may be other options, but probably none as appealing. Few other QB2s are proven and at the same time, considered potentially dispensable by their current team.

If it's a team that isn't serious about contending? Probably looking at a 5th round pick in return.

If a contender? 3rd round pick.

You heard it here first. No, really, you already did... :p I wrote this when we first acquired TL last summer.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Rush is going to get real popular if/when some team's QB1 goes down this July or August. There may be other options, but probably none as appealing. Few other QB2s are proven and at the same time, considered potentially dispensable by their current team.

If it's a team that isn't serious about contending? Probably looking at a 5th round pick in return.

If a contender? 3rd round pick.

You heard it here first. No, really, you already did... :p I wrote this when we first acquired TL last summer.
If that's the case, they would have done that last offseason when Rush's 4-1 record was a lot more fresh. I don't think anyone will be calling about Rush.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I believe McCarthy likes to carry three QBs, but I guess if Lance played well enough, maybe they would consider it for a roster spot they want to use elsewhere. We've cut him before and placed him on the practice squad, but that was before the team went 4-1 with him starting in 2022. His spot was secure last year.