CFZ Will Dallas Really Run More in 2023? Why?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
18 TD's there out of 21 = a success...and Moore's #1 Red Zone scoring efficiency is a success yes.

Dallas offensive talent (Dak-Lamb-Gallup-Noah Brown-OldZeke-Pollard-Schultz-O-line) would probably rank 6-12.

Yet w/Moore we've consistently been at, or near the top in production.
Not without Dak in the lineup we haven't. They were bottom 5 in 2020 after Dak got hurt and 25-ish when he was out 5 games this year.. as well as scoring an amazing 20 points at Minny in the game he missed in 2021. I will not argue that the Cowboys have been a very good red zone team WITH DAK IN THE LINEUP. Proving once again... "talent" matters. While we extol the greatness that is Kellen Moore we are compelled to ask.. Why aint he great with Cooper Rush, Andy Dalton, Ben Denucci or Garrett Gilbert slingin the rock?

In the 17 games Prescott has missed in the last three seasons the greatness that is Kellen Moore has given us 1 40 point game, ironically against the 49ers.. But most will forget that game featured a defensive TD and CD's TD return off the onside kick. Without those Moore's greatness peaks in the mid-20s scoring just like always when Prescott has not been available. They have hit 30 four times without Dak. They have failed to hit 20 points eight times. As in over half.. Over HALF the games without Dak Prescott Moore's greatness could not even get us to 20 points. Across those same three seasons, in 33 WITH Prescott they have topped 40 points ten times .. Damn near a third of their games.. They have hit 30 17 times.. So they topped 30 points in over half their games with Prescott in the lineup. On the flip side they have fallen short of 20 points 5 of those 33 games.

So 8 out of 17 games of stumblin ineptitude without Dak as opposed to 5 of 33 WITH him. Yet somehow I am supposed to credit the genius of Kellen Moore for our lofty offensive rankings? Now I realize that's low hanging fruit to point out that the team is better with its starting QB than without.. but the difference has been so stark it cannot be ignored. The point differential is ridiculous as is the yardage output difference. It's weird how better players make smarter coaches.. If you're a great coach it's supposed to be the other way around.

Again.. I have never said Moore is not a good coach.. or a smart OC.. What he's not is a "great" coach. All the numbers scream "the players are making him look better than he is" to me. The offensive production Moore was able to generate without Dak wouldn't have kept him on the job past one season. Jerry's pet or not..

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
More running means less interceptions. Dallas is focused on reducing interceptions, Yes, I am aware there could be more fumbles.

kskboys

Reaction score
Took Chiefs 20 games to win a Super Bowl, not one.

Chiefs passed 651...ran 417 times during the regular season. In AFC championship game 39 passes, 24 runs.

Insert Coin. Try Again.
Chiefs have the best QB in the game. Change your machine.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Why are we going to be run happy when we have a high paying QB already?
I don't think MM will be run happy if it's not working. Not only that but we don't know yet who we'll have for RBs. There's no guarantee yet that Pollard will be back to his old self, and we don't know who we'll have for a 2nd RB.
Oh well, we'll see.

T-RO

Reaction score
I don't think MM will be run happy if it's not working.

Then fans here will blame him for "abandoning the run". Big Mike is gonna be Big Piñata this season on this forum once things get tough.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I want to know how the pass routes will change more than running the ball.
Don't know how the pass routes will change, but here's hoping we see a lot fewer empty backfields in the red zone than we did with K Moore when we should've been using play action.

T-RO

Reaction score
Don't know how the pass routes will change, but here's hoping we see a lot fewer empty backfields in the red zone than we did with K Moore when we should've been using play action.

Again: Cowboys were #1 ranked red zone team in NFL in 2022, yet everyone thinks they know better.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
It is no secret that with effective run game , not the predictable first down run between the tackles , our play action passing will be more successful and that is essential for our QB to succeed .

so Big Mac wants to run effectively and be situational, not to abandon with leading to let the other teams climb back in. But to do that they need much more consistency in OL and good tackle and guard play as well as one RB who is physical and a load to bring down ( Along with flying Pollard) , so they need to concentrate the 3 areas in draft , find an OL ( starter if taken in 1-2 rounds ) and a good physical RB ( being RB rich the draft is ) and get a good to above average DT to help the run defense.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Again: Cowboys were #1 ranked red zone team in NFL in 2022, yet everyone thinks they know better.
Mike McCarthy certainly seems to think HE knows better. I have never been a slave to raw numbers though they certainly tell at least part of the story. However I know that if a team goes 6 of 7 in the red zone against a patsy then 2 for 6 against a good team they still would "rank" over 70% .. but that 70% number would in no way be indicative as to just how good they actually were. In fact I could argue that the 2 for 6 against the good team would be more telling of just who they were. Because it's that sort of team you're going to meet in the playoffs. The Cowboys and Kellen Moore got fat on patsies and got their butts handed to them by too many good defenses. I think the success they had against chumps fooled Moore into thinking his stuff actually worked more than his guys just being better than the other guys. So when the other guys were just as good or better his "genius" suddenly went missing. Figure out how to put 27-30 points on the board against EVERYBODY not 45 points on the board against chumps and 15 points on the board against good teams. THAT is the problem McCarthy should be looking to solve. I don't necessarily think running the ball more solves it.. but running it more in situations that dictate it certainly will help.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Wow,
mental gymnastics?
He doesn't mention Dak?

He doesn't have to.
Every single play whether a hand off or pass or audibled at the line is carried out by this position called Quarterback.

He is ultimately charged with the execution of every single play.

To feign ignorance in the name of saying the quarterback position was not mentioned?

Wow.
You are wasting your time brother.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
More running means less interceptions. Dallas is focused on reducing interceptions, Yes, I am aware there could be more fumbles.
yes, interceptions are bad. but one can also argue, last year could be considered anomoly, given it wasn't a problem in any of the previous years. but now all of a sudden all this moves to avoid interceptions.

now, if you want to discuss Jamies Winston interception control, then yeah, you got something.

and yes, interceptions need to go back to reasonable....MC asking Dak to be aggressive didn't work out so well

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't think MM will be run happy if it's not working. Not only that but we don't know yet who we'll have for RBs. There's no guarantee yet that Pollard will be back to his old self, and we don't know who we'll have for a 2nd RB.
Oh well, we'll see.
its not about being run happy. its about running enough and running at the right time, like running when you are up 14 in the 4th quarter instead of getting pass happy

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And one of the reason San Diego actually hired Moore, per Staley, is because he runs the ball, unlike what they got with Lombardi.

Moore was just a scapegoat.
Moore sucked. never wanted him. happy he is gone and the experiment is over. you tied your boat to a sinking dalton, then to a sinking whomever and then sinking Moore. why do you keep picking losers?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So wait…Dak didn’t contribute to our 12 wins last year or the year before? I think you’re trying to say this a certain way but you’re failing….
what he has trouble stating, since he is fuming out of his ears, is that Dak hasn't won 12 games as starting QB. he just doesn't know how to convey his thoughts.

now, ask him if wins are a QB stat? and he will deflect to something else.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
what he has trouble stating, since he is fuming out of his ears, is that Dak hasn't won 12 games as starting QB. he just doesn't know how to convey his thoughts.

now, ask him if wins are a QB stat? and he will deflect to something else.
I mean all he had to say was he didn't win 12 wins...he wanted to be too creative for his own good lol. Wins are a QB stat when its convenient for them lol.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
Fat Mac is full of hot hair.
Blimey! He spends the off-season beefing up the wr corps to run more?
Deek is reviewing his INT tapes? Why?
Because Jerald and Fat Mac believe we can pass like Mahomes!
We know what Pollard can do, and it is a reliable 80 yards per game or more.
But the passing game is what will take us to the Super Bowl.
Now, if only we had a capable QB ...