Will Donovan Wilson be benched?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Since you’re so revved up for credit to the Jones,.. .where Stephen Jones more comes in key and handy and where i do give kudos credit to

- Being able to re-sign ‘ core” cornerstone players, ..(ala Martin, Dak, Zeke, etc.)
- Being able to saying no to " non-core " players (ala Byron Jones)
- Maintaining philosophy of Not signing (or re-signing) “average” players to big, long term contracts.

- Managing to stay and keep the team in the black with team salary cap
- Somehow finding way to sign significant players to ideal team friendly deals ala Kearse and punter Bryan Anger

- While I have my skeptics about the current Cowboys HC, I also still to this day, give kudos to the Jones for not deterring to the ideal of hiring college football coaches
such as Urban Meyer and Matt Rule or fans lobbying for Lincoln Riley,... the club wanted to hit the ground running with an established vet HC with
a SB winning resume, not have to risk college HCs adjusting to the NFL rigors. .

- Also though there’s a flipside with the Jones meddling in with an insistence on retaining OC Kellen Moore, and keeping the Kellen offense, instead of a new McCarthy offense,
i really do believe it was the Jones, that not only pressed the issue with firing Mike Nolan, Tomsula but also recruited and imbedded Dan Quinn as the new DC here, .not McCarthy.

- Same type of flip-side that finally saw the final dismissal of decade long wonder boy Jason Garrett, and ditto for DC Rod Marinelli, who with the both of them, the club simply held
onto both of them far way too long.

again I try to be open and fair, I give credit when I agree with things and I put blame on decision. I have no problem doing both. Was McCarthy my 1st pick as HC? No, but I think he was a good hire and willing to give him the chance to prove himself, this is year 3. As for firing Nolan? Yes Jerry had every right as a GM and he is far from the only GM who has fired coordinators.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
They could only hope and gamble that Joe Whitt Jr. is a carbon copy of Dan Quinn, ..but its not a sure thing.
Whitt Jr. could read the blue print book, but Quinn is the blueprint book writer for this defense.

Quinn has established himself as a DC, with two different NFL teams, and he's directed two different NFL teams with top tier defensive unit.
As a pure DC, he's clearly a sure thing.

The big thing is you always have to have coaches evolve ..expand,.. adjusting accordingly and implementing new ideas and approaches
counter-scheming.

We've seen coaches, (on both sides of the ball) start out great but eventually fade into the abyss because they fail to adjust and counter scheme.
I give Quinn loads of Credit. The defense he ran in Seattle is not the same defense he runs here yet they are both top defenses with different type players. Guy struggled as a HC toward the later years but has been excellent as a DC and has learned a lot as well. The defense he ran in Atlanta was the same he ran in Seattle which didn't go well because he didn't have the personnel. He comes here and builds the defense around the players he has instead of the running that cover 3 stuff all the time. I have crazy respect for this guy.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What's the point, Wilson has 1 turnover this yr.
The year is still very young. Wilson has shown a penchant for making plays in the past. In 2020 he had 2 picks and 3 FF's in 10 starts. The 3 FF's tied for the league lead amoungst safeties

manster4ever

Reaction score
and who hired McClay? who has promoted McClay? when other teams like Houston were shopping for GM who convinced and paid McClay to stay? I'm sorry I give the Jones group credit for hiring and staying with him. I have seen reports McClay is the 3rd most powerful man in Dallas and the Jones group listens to him. I know no one around here likes givne Jerry or Stephen any credit but I can tell you McClay did not hire himself. I give credit when credit is due

......meh

quickccc

Reaction score
I agree they are not out buying up high priced FA, they have money on the cap right now and I expect that to be rolled into next years cap. I know we have some big contract players coming down the pike and I expect the Cowboys to sign them. I'm not as big on high priced FA who seldom go to a team and play to that level. I do think they should have done more. Right now I see quite a bit of depth on this team safety, CB, evidently QB, RB, OL will be better shape when
McGovern returns, depth a TE looking good. 2 areas of concern for me was DT and WR but by and large I don't think this is a bad team lacking talent.

It hasn’t all been rosy for Wil McClay either, ..

- the Taco Charleston over TJ Watt will likely always haunt and linger over him. .

- We’ve had issues filling in the LG starting role situation, despite the high draft picks we’ve invested in with the two Conners.
And with Tyler Smith likely permanently moving to LT, ..there is still gonna again be the void of a long time cornerstone LG.

- The jury is still out on 2nd round pick CB Kelvin Joseph, but it’s not looking promising at this time, as well as.3rd round pick CB Nashon Wright .. ditto with DL Chauncey Golston who was also a 3rd rd pick.

- Cox has yet to play more than 8 snaps in the NFL.
- I have no idea why this club will not make significant draft pick packages to trade up for more significant graded players than compiling these 10 and 11 picks in these drafts.

- But as a group, as a whole,.. and overall, I’ll gladly take and trust McClay’s pluses vs his minuses .

- In a draft, re-do Micah Parsons would very likely go No.2 overall behind QB Trevor Lawrence, several NFL teams passed him over all to No.12th overall.

- Only thing I’d prefer is let McClay lead his way, let him decide draft value, ..without internal influence or
How much input and influence should an coach have in the draft process ? And how much should he Not have a stronger ear say ?

- Quinn personally working out a LaNashon Wright maybe shouldn’t force or influence Personnel Dept, into “ reaching” for a Chris Wesley type as early as in the 3rd round

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The year is still very young. Wilson has shown a penchant for making plays in the past. In 2020 he had 2 picks and 3 FF's in 10 starts. The 3 FF's tied for the league lead amoungst safeties
I like Wilson, he should see a lot of snaps when Kearse returns, just like Kearse more. Think he was one of the best tacklers in the entire league last yr

Cmac

Reaction score
Wilson was already starting at SS while Kearse played the "Big Nickel" role as the small linebacker/big safety. The only person who will losing playing time when Kearse comes back is Mukuamu. Wilson is a playmaker whose main problem is that he is a big hitter who is not built like one. He's between 205 and 210 but brings the wood like he's 225-230. Unfortunately his body knows the difference and keeps breaking on him. Reminds me a a taller Bob Sanders.. who was a 5'9" 205 pound heat seeking missile at safety for the Colts back in the day. Could never stay on the field but was one of the best in the game when he was..
RonnieT24.....good post. Most don't remember Bob Sanders......and he did bring the wood. Layed in on the line for the Colts. Perfect example of why NFL players should get their money when they can.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
That tackling didnt show up vs niners. Donovan outplayed him that game too.
I like Wilson, he should see a lot of snaps when Kearse returns, just like Kearse more. Think he was one of the best tacklers in the entire league last yr

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honestly they aren't similar players. There wont be an effective on eithers snap count. Both will be in on 80 or so percent of plays

Toro9

Reaction score
He'll probably show up on obvious running downs. Nice to have a guy like him at your disposal. Not quite the same hitter but he reminds me of Roy Williams a bit.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Donovan Wilson is playing so very well, but it's only a matter of time before incumbent starter Javon Kearse
is healthy enuff to return

- So do we bench Donovan in place of Kearse ?

- Malik Hooker is FS centerfield type, not a role suited for Donovan, nor Kearse. They both seem to be at their best when boxed closer to the line.

Donovan will still see some playing time as we employ 3 safety look in Dan Quinn's scheme.
But both Kearse and Hooker are full timers always.

It's a great luxury problem to have, at the cost of lesser playing time for Donovan.

BTW, enjoy Wilson as much as you can, as he's gonna hit the FA market with NFL teams bound to
toss a big contract at him. :(
If your following production than you can not send him to the bench.
Donovan Wilson was however the Danny Dimes spy of the day play.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You same posters were the ones crying about lack of turnovers. But are critical of Diggs and Wilson. Interesting
Judging by some of the stuff I have seen some people post, I dont think they paid much attention when Wilson broke out in 2020. I dont think alot of posters here watch the games when we arent good

If he played 16 games that year, he probably makes the Pro Bowl

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
WE thought Kearse was going to get a big deal too, but he came cheaper then expected. Personally, I like Kearse better, less of a gambler and a better tackler. You would think Wilson still starts as they slowly bring Kearse back, but eventually they will see a lot of action on the field together and used in different packages.
S's like Kearse dont have a ton of value unless the are JOK level. If Wilson gets 3-4 INT's and 5-6 FF's, he will get a much bigger deal than Kearse got. Kearse is good at what is asked to do, but Wilson is a much better player

RonnieT24

Reaction score
RonnieT24.....good post. Most don't remember Bob Sanders......and he did bring the wood. Layed in on the line for the Colts. Perfect example of why NFL players should get their money when they can.

Amen.. I will never be one of these people who gets all worked up because a guy gets "overpaid" in the eyes of some keyboard warriors. These guys are out there sacrificing their bodies to the point that most of them will be limping or walking with a cane by the time they're 50 or won't remember their own home address in their 40s.. and some jabroni on the internet is mad that they're taking some of a billionaire's money in exchange.. Screw that.. I wish them all to get all the money they can get.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
S's like Kearse dont have a ton of value unless the are JOK level. If Wilson gets 3-4 INT's and 5-6 FF's, he will get a much bigger deal than Kearse got. Kearse is good at what is asked to do, but Wilson is a much better player
I disagree, that's not taking anything away from Wilson as a player, just think Kearse skillset is more valuable. It's a good problem to have this season, we worry about who to keep after the season. I believe Quinn will use both to play towards their strengths. Wilson attacking and Kearse covering.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I disagree, that's not taking anything away from Wilson as a player, just think Kearse skillset is more valuable. It's a good problem to have this season, we worry about who to keep after the season. I believe Quinn will use both to play towards their strengths. Wilson attacking and Kearse covering.
Covering is Wilson's strong suited. He isnt a box S. He is a former slot CB. Kearse is a box S and roving LB. To use box players right, you bring Kearse to LB on passing downs. Kearse doesnt have the skill set to be manned up in the passing consistently, thats why he got the contract he did.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Covering is Wilson's strong suited. He isnt a box S. He is a former slot CB. Kearse is a box S and roving LB. To use box players right, you bring Kearse to LB on passing downs. Kearse doesnt have the skill set to be manned up in the passing consistently, thats why he got the contract he did.
Kearse was excellent in covering the TE last season.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kearse was excellent in covering the TE last season.
I dont dislike Kearse, he was a nice find, but we have to stop pretending he is some secret star. He is a solid for what he is asked to do. Wilson has legitimate star potential