Will Donovan Wilson be benched?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's a nice problem to have and something we have not seen since Roy/Woody days.

Great starters but little depth behind them. Cowboys have I think more overall talent at safety than ever before. Not talking about individual starter but overall depth a safety.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Dono Wilson had 13 interceptions his Sr year in HS. Led that state of Louisiana. He did well at A&M too in that dept. He's just scratching the surface of what he can become. Always been a hard hitter, lacks homerun speed.

quickccc

Reaction score
and who hired McClay? who has promoted McClay? when other teams like Houston were shopping for GM who convinced and paid McClay to stay? I'm sorry I give the Jones group credit for hiring and staying with him. I have seen reports McClay is the 3rd most powerful man in Dallas and the Jones group listens to him. I know no one around here likes givne Jerry or Stephen any credit but I can tell you McClay did not hire himself. I give credit when credit is due

- Yeh and who does Stephen depend so very heavily upon to where he can operate the " Money Ball " approach ?
Where he doesn't have to spend high draft picks on safeties ?
To where Stephen does not feel the urgency need to pursue big name middle ground vet in FA.
Where he can try to get away with late round picks, gambling upon injury prone players, and journeyman pleasant surprises ?

- And I keep getting a laughing kick outta people here saying " Jerry drafted him "

The Jones place more responsibility and pressure upon McClay than probably any other lead personnel guy around NFL.
Let's face it, it's about the NFL draft and what McClay can conjure up in FA pool. He is the big key to Stephen Jones primary operation.
McClay is THE lead,.. he is the front runner most responsible for the current player personnel, ..

He is the big key lead to Stephen Jones primary operation - he is the most responsible for the current core player personnel,
because of what work load research and evaluation reports, trade value, constructing the value of the draft board and recommendations he contributes

You can hire a personnel guy (yeh, go try Mike Maylock !..LOL) … but it’s more about the quality about that personnel guy and what makes that hired personnel guy a standout.
You cannot just pick that kind of quality off an apple tree.
. .

Doomsday101

Reaction score
- Yeh and who does Stephen depend so very heavily upon to where he can operate the " Money Ball " approach ?
Where he doesn't have to spend high draft picks on safeties ?
To where Stephen does not feel the urgency need to pursue big name middle ground vet in FA.
Where he can try to get away with late round picks, gambling upon injury prone players, and journeyman pleasant surprises ?

- And I keep getting a laughing kick outta people here saying " Jerry drafted him "

The Jones place more responsibility and pressure upon McClay than probably any other lead personnel guy around NFL.
Let's face it, it's about the NFL draft and what McClay can conjure up in FA pool. He is the big key to Stephen Jones primary operation.
McClay is THE lead,.. he is the front runner most responsible for the current player personnel, ..

He is the big key lead to Stephen Jones primary operation - he is the most responsible for the current core player personnel,
because of what work load research and evaluation reports, trade value, constructing the value of the draft board and recommendations he contributes

You can hire a personnel guy (yeh, go try Mike Maylock !..LOL) … but it’s more about the quality about that personnel guy and what makes that hired personnel guy a standout.
You cannot just pick that kind of quality off an apple tree.
. .

McClay did not hire himself, I love the job McClay has done and evidently so does Jones which is why they kept him and promoted him, when Houston came calling Jerry and Stephen did all they could to keep him in Dallas and succeeded in keeping him. I think they understand the importance of McClay to this organization. I think it is critical for Jerry to hire people like McClay

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We finally have a coach that utilize all the players. He’ll figure it out. It’s gonna be back to sad times once Quinn leaves.

Not if he leaves Joe Whitt Jr. Jerry needs to do whatever he can to make sure that he retains as many of Quinn's "guys" as he can when that day comes. Whitt.. Al Harris.. George Edwards .. Aiden Durde .. Leon Lett.. all are quality assistants.. and it's showing up on Sundays..

quickccc

Reaction score
McClay did not hire himself, I love the job McClay has done and evidently so does Jones which is why they kept him and promoted him, when Houston came calling Jerry and Stephen did all they could to keep him in Dallas and succeeded in keeping him. I think they understand the importance of McClay to this organization. I think it is critical for Jerry to hire people like McClay

You act like McClay should bow down and express his grateful-ness for his stay here.
They "kept" him, they promoted him, and they apparently made darn sure they paid him very handsomely to retain his rights because they know how vastly important to their operations.
Especially when that operations includes the Stephen Jones' " Money Ball' approach.

You have to come out lucky to hire people like McClay, because you don't come by people like McClay, that's why you see such turnover in executive personnel around the NFL
with teams firing and trying to replace those type guys.

They've had previous player personnel guys that have came and gone,.. ala Jeff Ireland, Tom Ciskowski,..but McClay apparently brings elements to the table that those previous personnel guys
don't, the Jones wanted to make sure McClay remains a cornerstone for many years
to come, and apparently McClay himself has a desire to stay here as a huge cornerstone as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You act like McClay should bow down and express his grateful-ness for his stay here.
They "kept" him, they promoted him, and they apparently made darn sure they paid him very handsomely to retain his rights because they know how vastly important to their operations.
Especially when that operations includes the Stephen Jones' " Money Ball' approach.

You have to come out lucky to hire people like McClay, because you don't come by people like McClay, that's why you see such turnover in executive personnel around the NFL
with teams firing and trying to replace those type guys.

They've had previous player personnel guys that have came and gone,.. ala Jeff Ireland, Tom Ciskowski,..but McClay apparently brings elements to the table that those previous personnel guys
don't, the Jones wanted to make sure McClay remains a cornerstone for many years
to come, and apparently McClay himself has a desire to stay here as a huge cornerstone as well.

I don't think he should bow down before anyone, I will say I give Jones credit for hiring him and seeing to it they did not lose him. You seem to have an issue of giving them any credit as if McClay hired himself. Jerry does well when he hires great people around him. Parcells even said Jerry will listen to people within the organization he is not out running around making decision on his own, he puts lot of trust into those around him. Anytime there is a situation where there is not a consensus Jerry will listen to both sides then make the choice. These are Parcells word not mine. There are a lot of things I have disagree on with what Jerry and Stephen have done but I will always give credit when they do what I feel is the right thing. Unlike many here who would cut off their leg before ever giving them any credit for anything. McClay is here because they want him here, not spin just fact

quickccc

Reaction score
Not if he leaves Joe Whitt Jr. Jerry needs to do whatever he can to make sure that he retains as many of Quinn's "guys" as he can when that day comes. Whitt.. Al Harris.. George Edwards .. Aiden Durde .. Leon Lett.. all are quality assistants.. and it's showing up on Sundays..

They could only hope and gamble that Joe Whitt Jr. is a carbon copy of Dan Quinn, ..but its not a sure thing.
Whitt Jr. could read the blue print book, but Quinn is the blueprint book writer for this defense.

Quinn has established himself as a DC, with two different NFL teams, and he's directed two different NFL teams with top tier defensive unit.
As a pure DC, he's clearly a sure thing.

The big thing is you always have to have coaches evolve ..expand,.. adjusting accordingly and implementing new ideas and approaches
counter-scheming.

We've seen coaches, (on both sides of the ball) start out great but eventually fade into the abyss because they fail to adjust and counter scheme.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Donovan Wilson is playing so very well, but it's only a matter of time before incumbent starter Javon Kearse
is healthy enuff to return

- So do we bench Donovan in place of Kearse ?

- Malik Hooker is FS centerfield type, not a role suited for Donovan, nor Kearse. They both seem to be at their best when boxed closer to the line.

Donovan will still see some playing time as we employ 3 safety look in Dan Quinn's scheme.
But both Kearse and Hooker are full timers always.

It's a great luxury problem to have, at the cost of lesser playing time for Donovan.

BTW, enjoy Wilson as much as you can, as he's gonna hit the FA market with NFL teams bound to
toss a big contract at him. :(
He played 57% of snaps last season and 86% in game 1 of 2022.

Quinn's base is 3 Safeties.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Donovan Wilson is playing so very well, but it's only a matter of time before incumbent starter Javon Kearse

- Malik Hooker is FS centerfield type, not a role suited for Donovan, nor Kearse. They both seem to be at their best when boxed closer to the line.

Donovan will still see some playing time as we employ 3 safety look in Dan Quinn's scheme.

It's a great luxury problem to have, at the cost of lesser playing time for Donovan.

BTW, enjoy Wilson as much as you can, as he's gonna hit the FA market with NFL teams bound to
WE thought Kearse was going to get a big deal too, but he came cheaper then expected. Personally, I like Kearse better, less of a gambler and a better tackler. You would think Wilson still starts as they slowly bring Kearse back, but eventually they will see a lot of action on the field together and used in different packages.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think he should bow down before anyone, I will say I give Jones credit for hiring him and seeing to it they did not lose him. You seem to have an issue of giving them any credit as if McClay hired himself. Jerry does well when he hires great people around him. Parcells even said Jerry will listen to people within the organization he is not out running around making decision on his own, he puts lot of trust into those around him. Anytime there is a situation where there is not a consensus Jerry will listen to both sides then make the choice. These are Parcells word not mine. There are a lot of things I have disagree on with what Jerry and Stephen have done but I will always give credit when they do what I feel is the right thing. Unlike many here who would cut off their leg before ever giving them any credit for anything. McClay is here because they want him here, not spin just fact

I have an issue with the Jones “adding” more burden and pressure to what McClay already has to deal with, as I made mentioned before,
You cannot fill every key roles with just the NFL draft, …players are gonna be busts, and players depart in FA, and when you are not
adding key players per FA market, that places even more burden pressure on your personnel dept. to try to fulfill those needs in the NFL draft.
whereas the contending teams have the luxury of the draft, FA market and trades combining to place helping hand to improving those teams.

For the sake of conserving money , Stephen (who really leads the Cowboys team operations than his dad) won’t even make “ middle ground” big name key deals to acquire a Bridge player to help get over the top, per trade or FA,
It can be questioned if those conservative lack of movement adds more to the problems.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have an issue with the Jones “adding” more burden and pressure to what McClay already has to deal with, as I made mentioned before,
You cannot fill every key roles with just the NFL draft, …players are gonna be busts, and players depart in FA, and when you are not
adding key players per FA market, that places even more burden pressure on your personnel dept. to try to fulfill those needs in the NFL draft.
whereas the contending teams have the luxury of the draft, FA market and trades combining to place helping hand to improving those teams.

For the sake of conserving money , Stephen (who really leads the Cowboys team operations than his dad) won’t even make “ middle ground” big name key deals to acquire a Bridge player to help get over the top, per trade or FA,
It can be questioned if those conservative lack of movement adds more to the problems.

I agree they are not out buying up high priced FA, they have money on the cap right now and I expect that to be rolled into next years cap. I know we have some big contract players coming down the pike and I expect the Cowboys to sign them. I'm not as big on high priced FA who seldom go to a team and play to that level. I do think they should have done more. Right now I see quite a bit of depth on this team safety, CB, evidently QB, RB, OL will be better shape when
McGovern returns, depth a TE looking good. 2 areas of concern for me was DT and WR but by and large I don't think this is a bad team lacking talent.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Wilson played 60% of the snaps in games he was active last season. And thats with three games they were cautious with him coming back from injury. If he didn't get hurt, he probably plays 80% of the snaps last year. No he wont be benched, they have and will use Wilson and Kearse together

quickccc

Reaction score

Since you’re so revved up for credit to the Jones,.. .where Stephen Jones more comes in key and handy and where i do give kudos credit to

- Being able to re-sign ‘ core” cornerstone players, ..(ala Martin, Dak, Zeke, etc.)
- Being able to saying no to " non-core " players (ala Byron Jones)
- Maintaining philosophy of Not signing (or re-signing) “average” players to big, long term contracts.

- Managing to stay and keep the team in the black with team salary cap
- Somehow finding way to sign significant players to ideal team friendly deals ala Kearse and punter Bryan Anger

- While I have my skeptics about the current Cowboys HC, I also still to this day, give kudos to the Jones for not deterring to the ideal of hiring college football coaches
such as Urban Meyer and Matt Rule or fans lobbying for Lincoln Riley,... the club wanted to hit the ground running with an established vet HC with
a SB winning resume, not have to risk college HCs adjusting to the NFL rigors. .

- Also though there’s a flipside with the Jones meddling in with an insistence on retaining OC Kellen Moore, and keeping the Kellen offense, instead of a new McCarthy offense,
i really do believe it was the Jones, that not only pressed the issue with firing Mike Nolan, Tomsula but also recruited and imbedded Dan Quinn as the new DC here, .not McCarthy.

- Same type of flip-side that finally saw the final dismissal of decade long wonder boy Jason Garrett, and ditto for DC Rod Marinelli, who with the both of them, the club simply held
onto both of them far way too long.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wilson is one of those players who totally surprised me this year. I always knew he could play, just not at the level he's been playing at.

He has a couple sacks, too.
He's been turning a lot of heads lately.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
WE thought Kearse was going to get a big deal too, but he came cheaper then expected. Personally, I like Kearse better, less of a gambler and a better tackler. You would think Wilson still starts as they slowly bring Kearse back, but eventually they will see a lot of action on the field together and used in different packages.
You same posters were the ones crying about lack of turnovers. But are critical of Diggs and Wilson. Interesting

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Wilson is a notable sure handed tackler who has shown he can impact games, BUT, he was unable to take down Barkley in the backfield on a play that ended in a 36-yard TD run that gave the Gnats their first lead of the game in the third quarter. Not forgetting the second missed tackle by Wilson in that game as well.

Teams aren't going to give him a big contract & I'm certainly not enjoying his play as of late. Bring on Kearse already!