Will Hernandez (UTEP) - Combine

Rayman70

Reaction score
I suspect his draft stock won't change a whole lot as the effects of the combine wear off. He'll go in the 20ish to 35ish range most likely, which is where I thought he'd go all along.

I want no part of him because he's an OG solely. I'd rather take a guy like Wynn, who can also potentially play OT. I think that's a better value play at 19 if you want to go OL.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't think he's a bad prospect. He's clearly a very good prospect. I just, personally, don't want him given he's strictly an OG and I think it's wiser to fill that LG spot with free agency or a middle round pick.
Dont think teams will look at him just as a guard. I think he may be athletic enough to play RT in a pinch. He would need to keep his weight around 320 though.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It only rises if someone had him outside of the first. The Senior Bowl had him in the first already.
If some team thinks he is a fit at say 12..I can see him going higher than he should.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dont think teams will look at him just as a guard. I think he may be athletic enough to play RT in a pinch. He would need to keep his weight around 320 though.

He's an OG.

Compare his arms and wingspan to say Nelson. That's why some think Nelson can play OT and while Hernandez will strictly be an OG.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Hernandez is not right there with Nelson. Nelson is going to be a Top 5 pick most likely. Hernandez might not even get picked in the first 25 kids. If you think there isn't much difference between Hernandez and Nelson, then honestly, I have no idea what you are watching.

I think what's going on is the realization is we may take this kid at 19 so now people will overrate how good he is.
Nelson is the best PROSPECT I have seen in a long time. And I mean that. Hernandez is good and will fix a problem but he is not Nelson. And its not even close.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Apparently someone in this thread disagrees.

And actually, I didn't want Floyd at all.

I wanted Martin when we picked him. Don't think I am one of these guys that is anti-OL and just wants flash players in the first round. But we've invested enough in the OL and the RB position to where we SHOULD be able to find an OG in free agency or even in 2nd or 3rd round to complete the OL. On a team that has such needs on defense finding elite level talent, it makes no sense to me to throw another first round pick at an OL.
While I agree. This team will try and fix OL with budget FA signings. That's not going to cut it. Only way we don't go G in the first round or second is if we sign Sitton or Norwell. And that aint happening. So strap in and get ready for Hernandez at 19. The fact he was hanging out with our OL guys already should have been a major tip off for everyone.

Sydla

Reaction score
While I agree. This team will try and fix OL with budget FA signings. That's not going to cut it. Only way we don't go G in the first round or second is if we sign Sitton or Norwell. And that aint happening. So strap in and get ready for Hernandez at 19. The fact he was hanging out with our OL guys already should have been a major tip off for everyone.

Oh I fully expect they will take an OG, or someone like Hurst, at 19.

They are a reactive organization that panics. 2014 they run the ball well with Murray. They believe though with this OL they can have a great running game without investing a lot in the TB spot. 2015 happens and they overreact and then think they have to have an elite TB to make the running game work.

They'll do the same thing here. They'll think the only reason their OL wasn't dominant in 2017 was because they were missing a 5th first round talent along the OL. So now they will scramble to use a high pick on one.

Misguided thinking. But I expect it at this point.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Oh I fully expect they will take an OG, or someone like Hurst, at 19.

They are a reactive organization that panics. 2014 they run the ball well with Murray. They believe though with this OL they can have a great running game without investing a lot in the TB spot. 2015 happens and they overreact and then think they have to have an elite TB to make the running game work.

They'll do the same thing here. They'll think the only reason their OL wasn't dominant in 2017 was because they were missing a 5th first round talent along the OL. So now they will scramble to use a high pick on one.

Misguided thinking. But I expect it at this point.
We aren't exactly a proactive org. We should have done that last year. Meanwhile low budget signings at LT will help right? This team sometimes makes me pull hair out. Meanwhile. Vita Vea who can transform our ENTIRE defense will get overlooked because well we don't value the position.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Agree..his movement is amazing! I may need to go back and look at this kids tape. He is more elite than I thought. His stock will rise.
2017 film Not gonna show a lot. Though he did well against OU’s DL guys

UTEP was a run-heavy team, so not a lot on pass protection. But look for Aaron Jones highlights & you’ll see plenty of Hernandez

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
40 times

D.Harrison is 6’6 288 - 4.90
W.Hernandez is 6’2 348 - 5.15
A.Corbett is 6’4 305 - 5.15
O.Brown is 6’8 360 - 5.85

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Wouldn't hate Hernandez at #19 (unless Vea was sitting there as well) but I'm much more worried about LT and Tyron's back problems so I'd prefer to go OT with ability to play guard until Tyron inevitably goes down (even if somehow Tyron can play all of 2017, don't forget Collins also had back problems, so he's no sure thing either).

Swing tackle is much more important than guard IMO even though one is a backup position and the other is a starting position. Give me an OT or at least Wynn who can play OT if needed over a pure guard. Maybe draft a guard with a 4th rounder and get another FA.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wouldn't hate Hernandez at #19 (unless Vea was sitting there as well) but I'm much more worried about LT and Tyron's back problems so I'd prefer to go OT with ability to play guard until Tyron inevitably goes down (even if somehow Tyron can play all of 2017, don't forget Collins also had back problems, so he's no sure thing either).

Swing tackle is much more important than guard IMO even though one is a backup position and the other is a starting position. Give me an OT or at least Wynn who can play OT if needed over a pure guard. Maybe draft a guard with a 4th rounder and get another FA.

If we have to take an OL in the first round because we are stuck with no trades and no real defender on the board we like, I'd rather take Wynn and his flexibility than Hernandez, who is simply an OG with this T-rex arms.

funkytown

Reaction score
I know this thread is about Will Hernandez..but what I'm about to say fits into that potential pick. What about the idea of drafting a RB in round 3..like Nick Chubb? .

I love the idea. This is a pretty decent RB draft too. I've been kicking that idea around for a few months but the idea keeps getting killed by most around here. Because we have Zeke some people believe we don't need to "waste" a pick on a backup running back. Well if we are talking 3rd or 4th round then most likely that player is going to be a backup, regardless of position. I'm all for it. The dream pick would be Sony Michel but he's gone before 50.

Sydla

Reaction score
I love the idea. This is a pretty decent RB draft too. I've been kicking that idea around for a few months but the idea keeps getting killed by most around here. Because we have Zeke some people believe we don't need to "waste" a pick on a backup running back. Well if we are talking 3rd or 4th round then most likely that player is going to be a backup, regardless of position. I'm all for it. The dream pick would be Sony Michel but he's gone before 50.

You can get a starter in the 3rd or 4th round.

At some point, especially if this team is hell bent on just dabbling in free agency instead of using it to fill some needs, you have to start ramping up the investment in the defensive side of the ball.

Using a 3rd round pick on a TB when you've used a Top 5 pick on one, would be foolish. Because one way or the other, you aren't getting the value at one of those picks. A 3rd round pick can be a starter in this league. Using it on a guy you plan to only get 15-20% of the carries would be a waste. The flip side would be using that 3rd round back to take a bunch of carries from your first round back, which then you wouldn't really be getting true value out of the first round pick.

FA and the later rounds are the prime area to grab a backup RB.

funkytown

Reaction score
You can get a starter in the 3rd or 4th round.

At some point, especially if this team is hell bent on just dabbling in free agency instead of using it to fill some needs, you have to start ramping up the investment in the defensive side of the ball.

Using a 3rd round pick on a TB when you've used a Top 5 pick on one, would be foolish. Because one way or the other, you aren't getting the value at one of those picks. A 3rd round pick can be a starter in this league. Using it on a guy you plan to only get 15-20% of the carries would be a waste. The flip side would be using that 3rd round back to take a bunch of carries from your first round back, which then you wouldn't really be getting true value out of the first round pick.

FA and the later rounds are the prime area to grab a backup RB.
I agree on most of this. But what if the Saints thought that way and passed on Kamara when they already had Mark Ingram? With the situation Zeke put himself in, his situation is unique given that he could be gone with one more mistake. I do not want Rod Smith getting 20 carries a game for an extended stretch.

And yes 3rd rounders should be starters, especially on a non-playoff team. But this team has wasted plenty of 3rd rounders in the past. Im ok with taking a chance on special back that slips to the 3rd. Similar to what we did with DeMarco Murray.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree on most of this. But what if the Saints thought that way and passed on Kamara when they already had Mark Ingram? With the situation Zeke put himself in, his situation is unique given that he could be gone with one more mistake. I do not want Rod Smith getting 20 carries a game for an extended stretch.

And yes 3rd rounders should be starters, especially on a non-playoff team. But this team has wasted plenty of 3rd rounders in the past. Im ok with taking a chance on special back that slips to the 3rd. Similar to what we did with DeMarco Murray.

For starters, Mark Ingram, wasn't a top 5 pick. He's also not in the same world as Elliott as a TB. He's also older than Elliott, having come into the NFL in 2011. So age could have been a factor in NO taking Kamara.

The other thing is, I just don't think Chubb is all that special. I think his leg injury has sapped him of some of his skill.