Will Hernandez (UTEP) - Combine

Sydla

Reaction score
If we are flinging the rock more than 25 times per game,we are doing something wrong and wont win. We are a run heavy team. Lets get back to what we do best. BEAT PEOPLE UP AND PUNISH THEM.

Sweet.

Go sign a vet OG and use your 19th pick for any of our other needs.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think gaurd is going to be the pick at #19. I don't like it, but I think that is where Dallas will go.

I tend to think it will be an OG or Hurst. Marinelli loves those high hustle guys and we have Michigan connections.

I can possibly live with Hurst, but OG would just be a dumb move (unless they surprise in FA and fix some holes with real talent, not Nolan Carroll's buddies).

Rayman70

Reaction score
There's a gap between the ND kids. Nelson is the best OL in this draft, by far. Hernandez does not belong in the same conversation.

It's Nelson......... and then everyone else. He's got better size, technique, arms, can play OT possibly, and while Hernandez was shoving around mid-level talent at UTEP, Nelson was smacking Power 5 conference kids all over the place.
I get that. But it doesn't mean Hernandez isnt of that same ilk. Otherwise,guys like Larry Allen would never have gotten drafted at all..or guys like Sitton. I mean..yes level of competition is a good hing,but it shouldnt preclude ANYTHING or glean anything about what Hernandez can do. I would love Nelson...but IMO..Hernandez is right there with him..not much difference and in our scheme,hernandez would be stellar.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Watching the Combine this morning..btw Hernandez looks the part boys. The big boy can run!!

Sydla

Reaction score
I get that. But it doesn't mean Hernandez isnt of that same ilk. Otherwise,guys like Larry Allen would never have gotten drafted at all..or guys like Sitton. I mean..yes level of competition is a good hing,but it shouldnt preclude ANYTHING or glean anything about what Hernandez can do. I would love Nelson...but IMO..Hernandez is right there with him..not much difference and in our scheme,hernandez would be stellar.

Hernandez is not right there with Nelson. Nelson is going to be a Top 5 pick most likely. Hernandez might not even get picked in the first 25 kids. If you think there isn't much difference between Hernandez and Nelson, then honestly, I have no idea what you are watching.

I think what's going on is the realization is we may take this kid at 19 so now people will overrate how good he is.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sweet.

Go sign a vet OG and use your 19th pick for any of our other needs.
That wouldnt bother me..I'm on board. I only want to fix the LG spot and improve..dont care how we do it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hernandez is not right there with Nelson. Nelson is going to be a Top 5 pick most likely. Hernandez might not even get picked in the first 25 kids. If you think there isn't much difference between Hernandez and Nelson, then honestly, I have no idea what you are watching.

I think what's going on is the realization is we may take this kid at 19 so now people will overrate how good he is.
dude are you watching the combine..seems Mayock and his crew agree with me. The man-child is proving his value.

Sydla

Reaction score
dude are you watching the combine..seems Mayock and his crew agree with me. The man-child is proving his value.

LOL.

The combine.

So Mayock and the crew just said there is really not much difference between Hernandez and Nelson?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hernandez is starting to separate himself at the combine and is being talked about in the same light as the top couple of olineman. Telling you..this kid is already better than David DeCastro up in Pittsburgh and plays NASTY. Something Cooper is not. He is finesse.

Rayman70

Reaction score
LOL.

The combine.

So Mayock and the crew just said there is really no difference between Hernandez and Nelson?
Not in those words..but they included him in that convo along with Nelson.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hernandez is one of those kids that his combine performance matches up with his play on the field.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not in those words..but they included him in that convo along with Nelson.

LOL.

They did not. I've been listening. It's clear its Nelson and everyone else.

Look, you like the kid and I get that. But I think what you want here is to believe the kid is as good as arguably the best OL to hit the draft in the last 5-7 years.

The fact Nelson could play OT and Hernandez cannot, pretty much separates the two.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Kappa is lookin great too..he would be a nice 3rd round guy..maybe a 2nd.

Rayman70

Reaction score
LOL.

Look, you like the kid and I get that. But I think what you want here is to believe the kid is as good as arguably the best OL to hit the draft in the last 5-7 years.

The fact Nelson could play OT and Hernandez cannot, pretty much separates the two.
Keep watching..

Rayman70

Reaction score
LOL.

You do realize Hernandez is a 330 pounder that can move like a 290 pounder,right? These guys dont grow on trees...dont give a rats arse what level he comes from..

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'll keep watching and I bet when this underwear Olympics is over, Nelson will be the only OL that scouts and draft gurus have in the Top 10 in the draft.
You may be in for a treat then. But where I do agree with you...the term underwear olympics...thats a good analogy. I try not to get caught up too much with it. I dont mind as long as the tape matches up with what the guy does at the combine.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Hey I hear ya...maybe its not my preference either,but in the end,its the correct pick. Not sexy...no intrigue...but thats ok. Ask ourselves..what happened when we lost Leary and Free last year? You know the answer. We werent the same...even with Zeke. It showed from game one. We gotta fix this. Cooper and Chazzy boy Green...aka the dumpster fire,are not the longterm answers.

Copper was fine and drafting an OG RD#1 is not going to help the backup OT situation. So we'll have a line of all first rounders & Lael who should have been a first rounder. Overkill imo.

Sydla

Reaction score
You do realize Hernandez is a 330 pounder that can move like a 290 pounder,right? These guys dont grow on trees...dont give a rats arse what level he comes from..

I guess this is where you and I diverge. I don't put a ton of stock into the combine, especially for OL other than strength and size.

But again, if you want to believe Hernandez is as good as Nelson or just a slight notch below, have at it.