Will Hernandez (UTEP) - Combine

Sydla

Reaction score
You may be in for a treat then. But where I do agree with you...the term underwear olympics...thats a good analogy. I try not to get caught up too much with it. I dont mind as long as the tape matches up with what the guy does at the combine.

Wait are you suggesting that after this Hernandez will be viewed as a possible Top 10 pick?

Hardline

Reaction score
There's a gap between the ND kids. Nelson is the best OL in this draft, by far. Hernandez does not belong in the same conversation.

It's Nelson......... and then everyone else. He's got better size, technique, arms, can play OT possibly, and while Hernandez was shoving around mid-level talent at UTEP, Nelson was smacking Power 5 conference kids all over the place.
He dominated Oklahoma and Texas defensive lineman. He's Taylor made for the next level

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The kid can play at a high level. He's no Larry Allen..but if memory serves,didnt he play at tiny Sonoma State? What about his level of competition? I think that pick turned out well. Level of Comp.means NOTHING...can you play ball or not..PERIOD. Film dont lie.

And Larry Allen cracked the top 20? Plus the old "well so and so did it" argument.

Man, it's like someone is writing and exam question for a Logic 101 class. All the post needs to start with is "identify the logically fallacies in the following argument" as a lead in

Rayman70

Reaction score
I guess this is where you and I diverge. I don't put a ton of stock into the combine, especially for OL other than strength and size.

But again, if you want to believe Hernandez is as good as Nelson or just a slight notch below, have at it.
Not me..the guys like Steve Smith and others are singing his praises..I'm only listening to the feed back...not that its always correct. So far,they LOVE Hernandez.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I know this thread is about Will Hernandez..but what I'm about to say fits into that potential pick. What about the idea of drafting a RB in round 3..like Nick Chubb? Think about it...very high production between the tackles guy...low to the ground lower body power..built a little like Emmitt and was the work horse at Georgia prior to his injuries a couple years ago. He would be a nice replacement for Morris. Chubb and Zeke behind that oline would be unstoppable!! Then we have Rod Smith!!! He can finish them off. Its who we are guys...we are a potent running team who must control clock. Its our identity and until we get back to that smash mouth game style,we wont get to the playoffs.

Not spending a 3rd rounder on an RB that will get 5 touches a game. Anytime you take Zeke off the field you get worse.

Sydla

Reaction score
He dominated Oklahoma and Texas defensive lineman. He's Taylor made for the next level

Nelson has a much bigger, stronger track record against Power 5 kids.

Please tell you aren't joining the mix and thinking he's as good as Nelson, right?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hernandez and Kappa lookin solid. Kappa plays nasty but his feet arent very good.

Rayman70

Reaction score

Please tell you aren't joining the mix and thinking he's as good as Nelson, right?
Its not that much difference...MAYBE some..but its small.

Sydla

Reaction score
Its not that much difference...MAYBE some..but its small.

Maybe a slight difference between Hernandez and Nelson. LOL.

Again, are you suggesting Hernandez is now a potential Top 10 pick in the draft like Nelson?

Sydla

Reaction score
Not spending a 3rd rounder on an RB that will get 5 touches a game. Anytime you take Zeke off the field you get worse.

Awesome.

Use your 19th pick on an OG and then your 3rd round pick on a backup TB. Maybe if we are lucky we'll use our 2nd round pick on a WR or TE!!!!

Actually, that seems exactly like something Jerry would do.

Hardline

Reaction score

Nelson is all world. No one is disagreeing with you
But Hernandez is elite.
You would've taken Floyd over Frederick.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Maybe a slight difference between Hernandez and Nelson. LOL.

Again, are you suggesting Hernandez is now a potential Top 10 pick in the draft like Nelson?
To be clear I doubt he will go top 10..but who knows,someone may get enamored. But the likely scenario is he will get drafted from 15-30. He is killing it in the combine,his stock will rise. Book it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Awesome.

Use your 19th pick on an OG and then your 3rd round pick on a backup TB. Maybe if we are lucky we'll use our 2nd round pick on a WR or TE!!!!

Actually, that seems exactly like something Jerry would do.
lmao..come now...just throwing darts man. Chill.

Sydla

Reaction score
But Hernandez is elite.

Apparently someone in this thread disagrees.

And actually, I didn't want Floyd at all.

I wanted Martin when we picked him. Don't think I am one of these guys that is anti-OL and just wants flash players in the first round. But we've invested enough in the OL and the RB position to where we SHOULD be able to find an OG in free agency or even in 2nd or 3rd round to complete the OL. On a team that has such needs on defense finding elite level talent, it makes no sense to me to throw another first round pick at an OL.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Wait are you suggesting that after this Hernandez will be viewed as a possible Top 10 pick?
doubtful..but remember..just because your not drafted high doesnt mean you wont have a similar career..or worse even. Its where you finish.

Sydla

Reaction score
To be clear I doubt he will go top 10..but who knows,someone may get enamored. But the likely scenario is he will get drafted from 15-30. He is killing it in the combine,his stock will rise. Book it.

I suspect his draft stock won't change a whole lot as the effects of the combine wear off. He'll go in the 20ish to 35ish range most likely, which is where I thought he'd go all along.

I want no part of him because he's an OG solely. I'd rather take a guy like Wynn, who can also potentially play OT. I think that's a better value play at 19 if you want to go OL.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't think he's a bad prospect. He's clearly a very good prospect. I just, personally, don't want him given he's strictly an OG and I think it's wiser to fill that LG spot with free agency or a middle round pick.

Rayman70

Reaction score
But Hernandez is elite.
Thank you sir. Well said. The kid is proving his worth today as well. His movement skills for a kid his size is AMAZING.