Will KM stick to this gameplan when Dak comes back?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
on here the eye tests fail. :) you better find some ex-player or some talk show host to back that crap up. :)
On here...

eye test?

d6bv49t-e418cf71-88fc-43da-8549-0381ed2e3fdd.gif

There's your eye test.

Zman5

Reaction score
I'd be happy if they just stop going empty when the run is working. Especially near the goal line. This crap has been going on since Romo/JG days.
Romo bashers used to blame Romo for checking out of the run just like the Dak bashers are blaming Dak now.

sbark

Reaction score
Nope
2 diff QB, Cooper gets ball quik, top 2 in NFL.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ball control and setting up the pass through the run game? Dak is good, but he shouldn't be throwing the ball 40 times a game....50/50 pass and run along with a stout defense has won many games in this league. Protect your defense and keep them fresh....
I know Dak calls many pass plays from the line, he needs to be held back a bit from doing this. Hopefully, he's learning something from the sideline and hopefully KM and MM have the sack to hold him accountable.

I'd hope he's learned something. There are two ways that Dak can take what happened. Either A, he becomes a disheveled and unconfident player as he did after the Falcons game in 2017 until we got Amari Cooper. Or, B, he can basically do what you're saying here and stick to, essentially, a gameplan that's been working. If he goes with option B, then I think he can get back to how he was playing from the start of last season until the Patriots game. I think if he chooses option B, then he will find greater success and this team will go much farther. If he goes option A, then Cooper Rush will likely be needed the rest of the season.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He needs to. The somple gameplan has been most effective for both qb's. These guys are very similar in the fact they need the skill players around them to step up so the qb looks better than they are. Keep running, early, often, effectively, playaction, etc keep the defense guessing and honest.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The question is will McCarthy continue reining in Moore to stick with the run game and sticking to their play sheets for the game plans.

I take it some of you don't watch McCarthy's press conferences.

I do know that he's been helping Moore with the playcalling lately. Hopefully he continues to do so upon Dak's return.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Just listened to the Rich Eisen podcast with Amari Cooper on it... And, he tells how in Cleveland, they actually run what they practice, during the games. Unlike "previous spots," by the time the game comes on Sunday, "it's like a whole new game plan" compared to what was practiced during the week... Smh

Welcome to the forum. If that's the case, that's a huge problem and could explain the slow starts we usually see. It means that the players are likely confused because they are deviating significantly from the gameplan.

Cmac

Reaction score
accuracy has always been questionable. mobility after his injury is questionable. leadership doesnt mean squat if you dont perform. poise? you are out of your mind... the guy folds like a cheap tent under pressure. at the end of the day, I dont think the guy can read a defense to save his life. He can be great at the deep ball, have accuracy, good mobility, off the chart leadership and have great poise but if you can't read a defense and make adjustments you are a below average to an average QB in the NFL.
......"leadership doesn't mean squat if you don't perform" never hampered the praise SLee or JWitt continued to receive.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd be happy if they just stop going empty when the run is working. Especially near the goal line. This crap has been going on since Romo/JG days.
Romo bashers used to blame Romo for checking out of the run just like the Dak bashers are blaming Dak now.

That's why I'm glad that McCarthy has been taking Moore under his wing lately. Moore had been running a Garrett-style offense. By having Mike taking him under his wing, then Moore can learn better play formations so that he can clean the Garret stink out of his playbook.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weird post. Who wants Dak to have a "gazillion" stats? What is going on here?

Not touching the confession of you being dense.
I think you're pretty cool.
It's myy theory that Kellen Moore wanted more of an NCAA Mountain West passing game than NFL NFC East power run game. Some very odd play calling...at times.

"gazzillion stats" was me trying to push the hyperbole limits. :oops:

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
......"leadership doesn't mean squat if you don't perform" never hampered the praise SLee or JWitt continued to receive.
Talk about a weird post. You are trying to compare the "leadership" a QB needs...especially one that's been hailed as one of his best assets....with the Tight End?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's myy theory that Kellen Moore wanted more of an NCAA Mountain West passing game than NFL NFC Eat power run game. Some very odd play calling...at times.

"gazzillion stats" was me trying to push the hyperbole limits. :oops:

If that is the case, then I certainly hope he's learned that he cannot fully implement that philosophy into an NFL offense from his learning from Mike. I think he can get away with a bit of that, but he does need to have a bit of a traditional NFL philosophy infused into that mindset as well. Essentially, a good balance of those philosophies would be wise.

LysleE

Reaction score
Dak is getting paid like an elite quarterback and I think the play play calling is a reflection of that; it is requiring a level of skill, both mentally and physically, Dak doesn’t possess. I’m not saying Dak is a bad QB, but clearly he is not Allen or Mahomes, which I think he is being asked to be.

Rush doesn’t possess the physical tools Dak does but he has a quick release and reads defenses better than Dak; I think our OC did a great job tailoring a gameplan for Rush: emphasizing the run, thus being able to stretch the field with the pass. Rush wasn’t required to do things he wasn’t able to do.

I don’t know why our OC doesn’t do that for Dak; I feel Jerry wants to try and make Dak the QB he envisions because he is paying him $40MM a year.

visionary

Reaction score
Ball control and setting up the pass through the run game? Dak is good, but he shouldn't be throwing the ball 40 times a game....50/50 pass and run along with a stout defense has won many games in this league. Protect your defense and keep them fresh....
I know Dak calls many pass plays from the line, he needs to be held back a bit from doing this. Hopefully, he's learning something from the sideline and hopefully KM and MM have the sack to hold him accountable.

Will Dak be able to read defences when he comes back?
Will Dak be able to throw with anticipation when he comes back?

if the answer is no, then no

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is an extremely simple concept and very easy to see.

The 2016 model (a big time run game) allowed a rookie 4th round QB and a so so defense to win 13 games.

kskboys

Reaction score
We’re have to open up the passing game a little if we’re going to score more points and be able to pull away. The last two games have come down to the last possession of the game. Hard to keep winning games scoring under 24 points every week.
Running the ball and playing the TOP game automatically keeps scores down.

Cmac

Reaction score
Talk about a weird post. You are trying to compare the "leadership" a QB needs...especially one that's been hailed as one of his best assets....with the Tight End?
SteveTheCowboy......you missing the point.....AGAIN.
In response to a post that spoke of Dak's leadership......we ain't heard no one question that from the team......it's been all board posturing. Thus I asked in comparison, why?.....since our past "leadership" guys never got questioned about it, while fading performance due to injury or age.....never got questioned on this board.....ever. And that would be SLee and JWitt I'm wriiting of. Clear now?

Scotman

Reaction score
There isn't a QB in the game that doesn't love it when the run is working effectively.

While I'm super happy with what Rush is able to do, a lot of the success has to be given to the resurgence of the offensive line play. If the offensive line continues to improve, we limit penalties and run the ball well, the QB is going to look much better. I'm glad I'm not responsible for building a team. But if I were, I'm probably spending 2 out of the first 3 round drafts picks every year on the O-line and D-line if they are anywhere close to BPA.

I'm happy with Rush, but I think it has more to do with Tyler Smith being pretty dang good than anything else.