Will KM stick to this gameplan when Dak comes back?

fansince68

Reaction score
I think ultimately for this team to hit its potential they can’t play conservative. They are gonna have to sit it out but have to do it smart. Definetly need to call some plays that takes advantage of Dak’s legs and allows him to throw on the run.

Rush is getting the ball out fast and either Dak needs to do the same or they need to adjust to his actual skill set.
I agree, but it seems like Dak loses more and more of his ability to run each season. He appears unbalanced on the few runs that he makes. When it's 3rd and 4 on a potential game tying or winning drive, Dak rolls out then throws behind the receiver killing the drive when the qb run and slide past the 1st down line is the best choice. This behavior is on film many times yet it continues. Why?

visionary

Reaction score
And if the answer is yes, then yes

the answer is not yes

you’ve been a coach, tell me, can you create and call a consistent offense for a QB whose best plays are off schedule because of the above 2 deficiencies

you can’t

the OL didn’t magically learn to block and KM didn’t magically become smarter in one week

there is a reason and it’s staring you in the face if you want to open your eyes

fansince68

Reaction score
We’re have to open up the passing game a little if we’re going to score more points and be able to pull away. The last two games have come down to the last possession of the game. Hard to keep winning games scoring under 24 points every week.
In previous seasons, we have had early ints, (Dak), fumbles (Dak, Zeke, occasionally a WR), missed FG early and late in games. Doing the same things we've done in previous seasons will result in the same results. A change in view and tactics are necessary. Its all on film. We all see it but why doesn't the FO and coaches see it? Is our goal to have a winning team OR have an entertaining team?

fansince68

Reaction score
Running game works best when the RBs are getting good yardage and the QB is converting 5 yard 3rd down throws with consistency.
I might add, the qb needs to run for 3rd and 5 instead of the low percentage "behind the WR inaccurate throws" for incompletions.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It's myy theory that Kellen Moore wanted more of an NCAA Mountain West passing game than NFL NFC East power run game. Some very odd play calling...at times.

"gazzillion stats" was me trying to push the hyperbole limits. :oops:
I gotta say... I liked it!

fansince68

Reaction score
accuracy has always been questionable. mobility after his injury is questionable. leadership doesnt mean squat if you dont perform. poise? you are out of your mind... the guy folds like a cheap tent under pressure. at the end of the day, I dont think the guy can read a defense to save his life. He can be great at the deep ball, have accuracy, good mobility, off the chart leadership and have great poise but if you can't read a defense and make adjustments you are a below average to an average QB in the NFL.
Totally agree with you. All of your points have been seen and proven more times than we can count.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the answer is not yes

you’ve been a coach, tell me, can you create and call a consistent offense for a QB whose best plays are off schedule because of the above 2 deficiencies

you can’t

the OL didn’t magically learn to block and KM didn’t magically become smarter in one week

there is a reason and it’s staring you in the face if you want to open your eyes
I disagree...you call a game to your players strength. KM is trying to make Dak a gunslinger....he is better suited for ball control. Dak played great as a rookie because of a ball control offense.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd be happy if they just stop going empty when the run is working. Especially near the goal line. This crap has been going on since Romo/JG days.
Romo bashers used to blame Romo for checking out of the run just like the Dak bashers are blaming Dak now.
And then Kitna and Rush came in and it sure appeared that it was the case.

kskboys

Reaction score
There isn't a QB in the game that doesn't love it when the run is working effectively.

While I'm super happy with what Rush is able to do, a lot of the success has to be given to the resurgence of the offensive line play. If the offensive line continues to improve, we limit penalties and run the ball well, the QB is going to look much better. I'm glad I'm not responsible for building a team. But if I were, I'm probably spending 2 out of the first 3 round drafts picks every year on the O-line and D-line if they are anywhere close to BPA.

I'm happy with Rush, but I think it has more to do with Tyler Smith being pretty dang good than anything else.
It has even more to do w/ the fact that the OL isn't being asked to hold their blocks for long periods of time. Cooper's quick throws have benefitted the OL monumentally.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ball control and setting up the pass through the run game? Dak is good, but he shouldn't be throwing the ball 40 times a game....50/50 pass and run along with a stout defense has won many games in this league. Protect your defense and keep them fresh....
I know Dak calls many pass plays from the line, he needs to be held back a bit from doing this. Hopefully, he's learning something from the sideline and hopefully KM and MM have the sack to hold him accountable.

Thats a product of run success, not anything Moore does.

Big D

Reaction score
There isn't a QB in the game that doesn't love it when the run is working effectively.

While I'm super happy with what Rush is able to do, a lot of the success has to be given to the resurgence of the offensive line play. If the offensive line continues to improve, we limit penalties and run the ball well, the QB is going to look much better. I'm glad I'm not responsible for building a team. But if I were, I'm probably spending 2 out of the first 3 round drafts picks every year on the O-line and D-line if they are anywhere close to BPA.

I'm happy with Rush, but I think it has more to do with Tyler Smith being pretty dang good than anything else.
You may be on to something! :clap: The line play has been very good lately. All the complaining that gets done around seems to completely overlook the correlation between the line play and Dak and Zekes subpar play at times. Dak's gonna love the way this new lineup is performing I just hope he doesn't get hung up on living up to the expectations of his contract and just plays basic ball like he can.

kskboys

Reaction score
You may be on to something! :clap: The line play has been very good lately. All the complaining that gets done around seems to completely overlook the correlation between the line play and Dak and Zekes subpar play at times. Dak's gonna love the way this new lineup is performing I just hope he doesn't get hung up on living up to the expectations of his contract and just plays basic ball like he can.
OL will go back to what it was if Dak goes back to holding the ball forever.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I hope the game plan remains very similar when Dak is back. Plus, I hope they have him under center a lot more.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will Dak be able to read defences when he comes back?
Will Dak be able to throw with anticipation when he comes back?

if the answer is no, then no

I don’t think any QB can read defences, but most including Dak can read defenses. :laugh: