Will McCarthy have us better than 8-8 or worse?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
With a healthy roster, I say 11-5 at the least. I still believe this was a talented team that was undercoached by Garrett and staff.
I think Dak will be a tad bit better and will be put in better situations. I think Zeke will be used more, and more effectively. I believe we'll draft a receiver in a deep receiver draft and that will make this offense even more potent. I expect the defense to improve and special teams. It may take the Skins and the Giants at least one to two more years to contend for the division, so that's a possible four wins there.
I'm expecting improvement not regression.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again if you're referring to Marinelli what Cowboys team he was a coach on that was 0-16?

The point is that Marinelli has never been good when in charge, and he's been in charge of our defense for the past 6 years.

He made his rep on Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffins back and parlayed that into a HC gig where he failed miserably. He has never succeeded in anything more than being a DL coach under a good DC.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Will McCarthy have us better than 8-8 or worse?

Better - with a caveat. 13 seasons as a head coach only 3 losing seasons, 6 division championships and 9 playoff appearances. His record speaks for itself. McCarthy has shown that if he has talent, he’ll produce results.

The caveat is, I have no idea who will be on this roster in September 1. Will Dak be on a franchise tag and refuse to play? Will they resign Cooper? Is Randy Gregory coming back? Will Vander Esch be fully healed? How about Byron Jones? Robert Quinn? Sean Lee? Blake Jarwin???

I honestly can’t remember an off-season with so many free agents and other decisions. None of us knows what this roster is going to look like - I could probably paint you 4 or 5 different pictures.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The point is that Marinelli has never been good when in charge, and he's been in charge of our defense for the past 6 years.

He made his rep on Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffins back and parlayed that into a HC gig where he failed miserably. He has never succeeded in anything more than being a DL coach under a good DC.

Again where does the 0-16 come from?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I believe we had a team last season that with some motivation and coaching was a 10-11 win team. If we do the off-season right I can see 11 wins or more.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can I wait until FA and the draft have concluded? It's already assured Jones is gone in the secondary, don't know the real situation with Vander Esch or if they'll keep Quinn, their best pass rusher.

I am expecting the O to be better than 8-8 as it was last year, that wasn't the problem. The D might actually be worse this season.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
2006 8-8 (named head coach in January of 2006 so he's basically 4-0 here)
2007 13-3 (Lost to the Giants in NFC Championship game)
2008 6-10
2009 11-5 (Lost to Arizona Cardinals in NFC Wild-Card Game)
2010 10-6 (Superbowl XLV win)
2011 15-1 (Lost to
New York Giants in NFC Divisional Game)
2012 11-5 (Lost to San Francisco 49ers in NFC Divisional Game )
2013 8-7-1 (Lost to San Francisco 49ers in NFC Wild-Card Game)
2014 12-4 (Lost to Seattle Seahawks in NFC Championship Game)
2015 10-6 (Lost to Arizona Cardinals in NFC Divisional Game)
2016 10-6 (Lost to Atlanta Falcons in NFC Championship Game)
2017 7-9
2018 4-7 (Rodgers got him fired)
2019 (Didn't coach)

121-69 as a head coach (that's taking out the first 12 games of the 2006 season as head coach because (as mentioned, he didn't take over the reins until January of 2006).

I'm not sugarcoating anything (notice I even said how he did in playoffs so I'm not hiding it)
He only has 3 losing seasons. He made Brett Favre who he became. I don't care what Rogers says. Rogers wouldn't be who he is without McCarthy.

So to answer the question at hand, absolutely, I believe we will be way better than an 8-8 average team.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idk you tell me. The objective as a coach is to win games

Or, it just means the dude isn't good when in charge. I think if you look over Marinelli's career resume', that point is hammered home. He's a DL coach and anytime he's been given a chance to do more, he hasn't done well. He never should have been our DC...........not in any merit based system.