Will McCarthy have us better than 8-8 or worse?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't really think McCarthy is key to our record, so much as the FO and the Coaching Staff. McCarthy and his group can identify talent bring it to the attention of those who make personnel decision but he doesn't actually make the picks so I don't really believe he has as much control over our record as do others.

JMO

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
When talent is equal, coaching is the difference.

Unfortunately, with our free agent situation and Stephen's cheapskate and completely incorrect philosophy on outside free agents, I think we will take 2 step backwards on our overall roster talent.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
I expect at least 8-8 or better. Depending how free agency and the draft goes. But I’m optimistic MM will be tenfold better than clapper. Hell, his in game adjustments will give us at least a win or two.

blindzebra

Reaction score
With having 25 UFA, some aren't really needed and with Prescott, Cooper and possibly Quinn resigned that leaves little if any room left to sign other free agents to fill those other 22 UFA roster spots. That leaves the draft and signing a bunch of undrafted rookies So this season might not be quit as good as some here think.
77 million goes to 90 million if we dump Crawford and Fleming. Couple of restructures gets them over 100. They can sign several free agents.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Will McCarthy have us better than 8-8 or worse?
Sort of depends.

I think it depends on the players.

Do they take all the changes as belief in them?

Or a vote of "No confidence in them?

There has to be a good bit of holding their breath right now.

The new coaches will carry the message.

How it's received is critical.

Many who had success under Garrett are going too be wanting to quickly find familiar ground under the new regime.

Those that did not are going to want a fresh start aalong with the new coaches.

It's definitely a "we are all in this together thing" now.

One thing I hated about Garrett..

back in 2016 when Dak and Zeke electrified all of us..

the team talked alot about being all together and committed to winning as team mates.

Garrett was very mistakenly given credit for it and named Coach of the Year.

Totally wrong.

The reason being in 2017, the team dived and nothing Garrett could do or say could work.

Same thing again in 2019.

We came off a great year at 2018 only to implode in 2019.

Garrett could do nothing to fix anything.

So I am so glad he is gone and with McCarthy win or lose..

we have a Coach who is accountable.

For what that is worth?

JBS

Reaction score
When talent is equal, coaching is the difference.

Unfortunately, with our free agent situation and Stephen's cheapskate and completely incorrect philosophy on outside free agents, I think we will take 2 step backwards on our overall roster talent.

I think it will pretty hard for that to happen. 1 step back, sure..2 is a bit of a stretch..even if you add up all of the talent we might lose, it doesn't amount to all that much..that doesn't even factor in any new additions

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
77 million goes to 90 million if we dump Crawford and Fleming. Couple of restructures gets them over 100. They can sign several free agents.

So removing 2 more players that would raise the number of roster spots that need to be filled to 24. Then on top of that you're advocating the Cowboys fall back into the same ugly vicious cycle restructuring contracts that kept them with little or no cap space since the caps was started until Stephen put a stop to that and for the first time the Cowboys have some cap space. Gee thanks but no thanks. It took way way way way way to long to break that cycle to start it again.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think it will pretty hard for that to happen. 1 step back, sure..2 is a bit of a stretch..even if you add up all of the talent we might lose, it doesn't amount to all that much..that doesn't even factor in any new additions
which new additions?

The draft? because all 32 teams draft players... don't be one of these guys here who automatically assumes we will outdraft 31 other teams, let alone the 3 teams in our division or the 6 teams who made the NFC playoffs.

JBS

Reaction score
which new additions?

The draft? because all 32 teams draft players... don't be one of these guys here who automatically assumes we will outdraft 31 other teams, let alone the 3 teams in our division or the 6 teams who made the NFC playoffs.

Has nothing to do w out drafting anyone..you said the roster will take 2 steps back...the comparison is next year's roster vs last year's..I'm betting there is no way it's 2 steps behind...

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Around 9-10 wins maybe make the playoffs and win one or be one and done. The draft wont change my opinion fa might but most likely not.

This team is good 3-4 years away from contending I feel.

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Has nothing to do w out drafting anyone..you said the roster will take 2 steps back...the comparison is next year's roster vs last year's..I'm betting there is no way it's 2 steps behind...
We will see.

Keeping Dak and Cooper is going to take a huge chunk of available cap room. We also have a lot of free agents this year..Maliek Collins, Robert Quinn, Michael Bennett, Sean Lee, Randall Cobb, Jason Witten, Blake Jarwin, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Joe Thomas, Antwaun Woods, Christian Covington, Tavon Austin, Kerry Hyder, Anthony Brown, Jeff Heath..and more. This FO has been guilty of overpaying their own guys and not really valuing outside talent.

I'd love to be surprised here but I do feel the roster takes two steps back as far as overall depth and talent. The (lazy) FO will say coaching will be enough of an upgrade and also say how "paying their own guys" was the priority. That's not getting better, at the very best, it's standing pat.

JBS

Reaction score
We will see.

Keeping Dak and Cooper is going to take a huge chunk of available cap room. We also have a lot of free agents this year..Maliek Collins, Robert Quinn, Michael Bennett, Sean Lee, Randall Cobb, Jason Witten, Blake Jarwin, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Joe Thomas, Antwaun Woods, Christian Covington, Tavon Austin, Kerry Hyder, Anthony Brown, Jeff Heath..and more. This FO has been guilty of overpaying their own guys and not really valuing outside talent.

I'd love to be surprised here but I do feel the roster takes two steps back as far as overall depth and talent. The (lazy) FO will say coaching will be enough of an upgrade and also say how "paying their own guys" was the priority. That's not getting better, at the very best, it's standing pat.

That's kind of my point. Even if the fo sucks and we get all of that wrong. My argument is, you can basically add all of those guys up and it's nearly impossible to take 2 steps back..those guys aren't very good

Nav22

Reaction score
I didn’t like the McCarthy hire but I think we’ll be better than 8-8 in year 1.

Hell, Wade Phillips went 13-3 in year 1. Chan Gailey went 10-6 in year 1.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
That's kind of my point. Even if the fo sucks and we get all of that wrong. My argument is, you can basically add all of those guys up and it's nearly impossible to take 2 steps back..those guys aren't very good

Good? Probably not

Depth? Yes.

We only have 6 draft picks. A lot of those guys are going to get replaced with UDFA's.

JBS

Reaction score
Good? Probably not

Depth? Yes.

We only have 6 draft picks. A lot of those guys are going to get replaced with UDFA's.

Dallas will lock down Cooper long term here soon..his cap hit year one won't be anything crazy..dak will get tagged...the door will be open for the FO to improve this team..you are correct in your evaluation of the fo, so suggesting they will be better than last year will be challenging for this group..I just can't see them going 2 steps backwards bc they aren't losing that much production

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
At least 9-7 for starters.. It really depends on FA and the draft though for it to get much better....

quickccc

Reaction score
i'm confident MM won't have the same flaws that as cripplling with Garrett, and Nolan should not have the same mutiny that was going on in the Marinelli/Richard/Bloom camp.
its a far gone conclusion that the OL " should " be somewhere on same level at the protection that Columbo set it as when team was tops among least sacks allowed.
and i trust the MM/Kellen and its RB/WR/TE coaches to cohesive to be among top offenses in NFL , as with new special teams Fassel to fix that unit.

But the big contest has always been what the defense ends up like ... people can keep talking Dak .. or zeke ... or Amari .. or McCarthy/kellen offense
but it's gonna end up being that what Nolan can make out of it.

Will this be a much more physical defense- much more big play defense - when all said and done ...and this and that win/loss record and playoff advancement and success - its gonna depend upon what we see defensively - especially overall ..and down the stretch run .