Will McCarthy have us better than 8-8 or worse?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or, it just means the dude isn't good when in charge. I think if you look over Marinelli's career resume', that point is hammered home. He's a DL coach and anytime he's been given a chance to do more, he hasn't done well. He never should have been our DC...........not in any merit based system.
No, he shouldn't have but that was Garrett letting his friend Kiffin set that up. And what did Kiffin ever do without that loaded with HOFer's D in TB?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
One has to keep in mind the head coaching position wasn't the only one replaced. Jerry literally cleaned house. Our D will show significant improvement w/Nolan as well as the players at all positions.

ST's are going to look like we actually have them w/O'quinn not in charge. McCarthy will re-assemble what Garrett dismantled, America's Team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Better. Actually that's an easy call. Just changing kickers (which Garrett couldn't do) would have netted 2 more wins. Incompetent coaching on special teams cost the Cowboys yet another win. The schedule looks easier next year also. The Cowboys will have more cap space available after Dak and Cooper than most are expecting. Main thing, Garrett is finally gone and a lot of assistants that needed gone also. So the answer is easy....BETTER.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but so much is learned losing every game of the season. it is a fallacy to think all of us learn from our mistakes. some don't.:)
True, which is why too many misuse the term "experience". It does not relate to time doing something.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
once a poor coach, always a poor coach. even garrett for all his warts was never 0-16. though he went 1-11 without romo in 2015. that too was pretty pathetic.

Come on Cern. Wade Phillips was a terrible head coach but has always been considered a good defensive coach. I'm not apologizing for Garrett but he was not the first nor will he be the last head coach with a team that tanks when they lose the starting QB for most of the season.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I'm not sugarcoating anything (notice I even said how he did in playoffs so I'm not hiding it)
He only has 3 losing seasons. He made Brett Favre who he became. I don't care what Rogers says. Rogers wouldn't be who he is without McCarthy.

So to answer the question at hand, absolutely, I believe we will be way better than an 8-8 average team.

Let's not go overboard. Favre won a Super Bowl in 1996. (Big Mc didn't come to the Packers until 1999). By then Favre had won a dozen awards, including MVP in 1995,1 996, 1997 and the Bert Bell Player of the Year. He had 5 Pro Bowls and three years of All Pro and been to the playoffs in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997.

Big Mc walked into the perfect situation.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Let's not go overboard. Favre won a Super Bowl in 1996. (Big Mc didn't come to the Packers until 1999). By then Favre had won a dozen awards, including MVP in 1995,1 996, 1997 and the Bert Bell Player of the Year. He had 5 Pro Bowls and three years of All Pro and been to the playoffs in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997.

Big Mc walked into the perfect situation.
Did somebody really say that McCarthy made Brett Favre... :omg:

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I will at say slightly worse, not because the Fat Man isn’t a good coach, but mostly because of randomness, parity and my belief that the NFC East can’t continue to be this bad.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I will at say slightly worse, not because the Fat Man isn’t a good coach, but mostly because of randomness, parity and my belief that the NFC East can’t continue to be this bad.

Post #37... CowboyFaninLexKy......

"2006 8-8 (named head coach in January of 2006 so he's basically 4-0 here)
2007 13-3 (Lost to the Giants in NFC Championship game)
2008 6-10
2009 11-5 (Lost to Arizona Cardinals in NFC Wild-Card Game)
2010 10-6 (Superbowl XLV win)
2011 15-1 (Lost to New York Giants in NFC Divisional Game)
2012 11-5 (Lost to San Francisco 49ers in NFC Divisional Game )
2013 8-7-1 (Lost to San Francisco 49ers in NFC Wild-Card Game)
2014 12-4 (Lost to Seattle Seahawks in NFC Championship Game)
2015 10-6 (Lost to Arizona Cardinals in NFC Divisional Game)
2016 10-6 (Lost to Atlanta Falcons in NFC Championship Game)
2017 7-9
2018 4-7 (Rodgers got him fired)
2019 (Didn't coach)

121-69 as a head coach (that's taking out the first 12 games of the 2006 season as head coach because (as mentioned, he didn't take over the reins until January of 2006).

I'm not sugarcoating anything (notice I even said how he did in playoffs so I'm not hiding it)
He only has 3 losing seasons. He made Brett Favre who he became. I don't care what Rogers says. Rogers wouldn't be who he is without McCarthy.

So to answer the question at hand, absolutely, I believe we will be way better than an 8-8 average team.

cern

Reaction score
Come on Cern. Wade Phillips was a terrible head coach but has always been considered a good defensive coach. I'm not apologizing for Garrett but he was not the first nor will he be the last head coach with a team that tanks when they lose the starting QB for most of the season.
but Marinelli was neither a good hc or dc. he stunk at both. garrett couldn't learn due to his arrogance and closed- mindedness. apparently, neither could Marinelli.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Worse. I think we'll win 7 games. maybe we get lucky and win a few extra but i doubt it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Or, it just means the dude isn't good when in charge. I think if you look over Marinelli's career resume', that point is hammered home. He's a DL coach and anytime he's been given a chance to do more, he hasn't done well. He never should have been our DC...........not in any merit based system.

True, He also should have had absolutely zero say in the draft process. Given his prior utter failure as a head coach. And look at the results of letting him have sway.

The front office could have done the opposite of what he proposed in the draft, as far as DL players, and would have been better off for it.

Dreski

Reaction score
One has to keep in mind the head coaching position wasn't the only one replaced. Jerry literally cleaned house. Our D will show significant improvement w/Nolan as well as the players at all positions.

ST's are going to look like we actually have them w/O'quinn not in charge. McCarthy will re-assemble what Garrett dismantled, America's Team.
I’m pretty excited about Mike Nolan and George Edwards both working on the defense. I know some have good reasons to be skeptical with Nolan, but I personally think that he also had something to do with the saints defense doing well too.

Adding George Edwards as an assistant is a big plus also. He helped run a really good defensive unit in Minnesota. Lots of experience between those 2 guys. I’m excited

Last edited:

8FOR!3

Reaction score
My best guess is 9-7, 10-6 range. Anything more would be good anything less would be disappointing. But it’s also first year with a new coach and a completely different defense so I think expecting too much is unfair. I’m hoping he’ll be the real deal and impress and get 11 or 12 wins.

Flamma

Reaction score
If Dallas puts the same talent on the field I think they'll be 2-3 games better in the first year. But I'm putting a lot of the difference on enthusiasm, coaching/gameplan. It's a big if because I'm not sure we'll be as talented at season's start. If we're not, then I'd say 8-8 or 9-7.