Will McClay talks Jerry

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Cool. What's he done in the last 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?

He's Gm'd a team. His teams made the playoffs 7 times in that time frame. Is it his fault they lost in the playoffs? They were good enough to get there. Just like the patriots theyve been good enough to make the playoffs but havent won the superbowl in 10 yrs.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Most GM's come up from the scouts. Not all but most do. I'd guess an average NFL GM has 15+ years of scouting prior to getting a shot at a GM job.

Define most. Post all 32 GMs and their resumes.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Are you a GM? do you know what they do? Do you know what Jerry does?

You seem to be telling me what they do and he does. I ask you the same questions?

I know I have watched hundreds of interviews of Gms over the fifty years I have been watching this sport and have heard them state what they do for a living. Read countless articles by journalists describing the GM job. Read the articles in the paper and online when they do those cute little day in the life of a GM things that were littering the Dallas Morning News in the 70's and more recently.

Does that make me an expert?

Nope.

Is there a consistent theme between GMs over the years about their jobs? A consistent theme from journalists about the GMs jobs?

Yep, there are.

So while you pull up a soapbox and tell me what this franchise does, keep in mind you just hoisted your argument on your own petard.

The draft is a talent acquisition function and the GM is responsible for stocking the pond with talent. They work closer with the head coach nowadays than before. Parcells used to get miffed at the idea he didn't pick the talent. Hence his comments if he was to cook the meal he needed to shop for the groceries.

But the GM has a job to do, and he is an executive, and unless he is woefully wrong for the job, he gets involved. Regardless of the strawman arguments made by some here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yet the people making the call on all teams but this team have experince in the GM spot. And when the franchise doesn't show progress, the GM is fired.

I fully agree with that. If Jerry was a GM and not an owner of any other team he would have been fired. No question about it.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He's Gm'd a team. His teams made the playoffs 7 times in that time frame. Is it his fault they lost in the playoffs? They were good enough to get there. Just like the patriots theyve been good enough to make the playoffs but havent won the superbowl in 10 yrs.

Wow, it is sad that "making the playoffs" is the standard we have come to expect. 1 playoff win in 18 years. Give me a break. I feel like I am taking crazy pills here. You are seriously waving the victory flag over making the playoffs 7 times in 15 years?

You are now comparing us to the Pats? The Pats who haven't had a losing season since 2000? The Pats who have been the 2 AFC championship games and 1 Super Bowl in the last 3 years? Really? You are smoking something good,

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
This interview had alot of good information on whats going on behind the scenes in Dallas. And all you trolls want to do is turn it into a Jones bash thread. You people are pathetic. Why do you people even come here.

So, a disagreement ends up with you calling people trolls. That stands to reason. When you can't support your position, just call names.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This interview had alot of good information on whats going on behind the scenes in Dallas. And all you trolls want to do is turn it into a Jones bash thread. You people are pathetic. Why do you people even come here.

Why do we come hear?

To keep real fans informed..... Instead of letting this administration distort the truth. That they are competent. And are on the job. It's all a bunch of BS. Jerry doesn't care about winning as much as he wants to stuff his wallet. Jerry is all about cutting corners for a buck. And that ugly truth is prevalent throughout the organization. It shows in the coaching...the roster, the process of preparing for the draft, the people he surrounds himself with. It's all a sham!!!! And every year we go through this process of how can we shine this turd up and sell this to the public once again?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You seem to be telling me what they do and he does. I ask you the same questions?

I know I have watched hundreds of interviews of Gms over the fifty years I have been watching this sport and have heard them state what they do for a living. Read countless articles by journalists describing the GM job. Read the articles in the paper and online when they do those cute little day in the life of a GM things that were littering the Dallas Morning News in the 70's and more recently.

Does that make me an expert?

Nope.

Is there a consistent theme between GMs over the years about their jobs? A consistent theme from journalists about the GMs jobs?

Yep, there are.

So while you pull up a soapbox and tell me what this franchise does, keep in mind you just hoisted your argument on your own petard.

The draft is a talent acquisition function and the GM is responsible for stocking the pond with talent. They work closer with the head coach nowadays than before. Parcells used to get miffed at the idea he didn't pick the talent. Hence his comments if he was to cook the meal he needed to shop for the groceries.

But the GM has a job to do, and he is an executive, and unless he is woefully wrong for the job, he gets involved. Regardless of the strawman arguments made by some here.

Im not telling you anything. Im informing what people that know what theyre talking about, people at VR are saying on the radio that i listen to every week. You can either accept what McClay is saying or not.

I dont have any problems with people who find something wrong with Jerry, but to come in every thread and spew the same bull in every thread. Or any thread that reports encouragement is just annoying.

Of course the GM is responsible but isnt solely responsible as Parcells, McClay have been on record as saying. Alot of you just refuse to listen to whats being said. Parcells gains nothing by debunking thoughts of the press and fans when concerning Jerry. Alot of you just think you can do a better job when it comes in your thought process of whats best for this team. But in truth none of us could do what Jerry does.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Why do we come hear?

To keep real fans informed..... Instead of letting this administration distort the truth. That they are competent. And are on the job. It's all a bunch of BS. Jerry doesn't care about winning as much as he wants to stuff his wallet. Jerry is all about cutting corners for a buck. And that ugly truth is prevalent throughout the organization. It shows in the coaching...the roster, the process of preparing for the draft, the people he surrounds himself with. It's all a sham!!!! And every year we go through this process of how can we shine this turd up and sell this to the public once again?[/q
uote]

If you are watching Cowboy games then you too are buying the so called shinny turd.

I think winning does mean a lot to Jerry, if this was about money he would not be handing out the contracts he has done. Hell he could sell the team tomorrow and walk away a lot richer than he was when he bought them.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
So, a disagreement ends up with you calling people trolls. That stands to reason. When you can't support your position, just call names.

If you think im attacking you then, if the shoe fits. Im just tired of the same miserable people ruin great threads like this and try to turn it into a bash Jerry thread. Just because McClay further seperates the whole Jerry is going in blind theory.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Why do we come hear?

To keep real fans informed..... Instead of letting this administration distort the truth. That they are competent. And are on the job. It's all a bunch of BS. Jerry doesn't care about winning as much as he wants to stuff his wallet. Jerry is all about cutting corners for a buck. And that ugly truth is prevalent throughout the organization. It shows in the coaching...the roster, the process of preparing for the draft, the people he surrounds himself with. It's all a sham!!!! And every year we go through this process of how can we shine this turd up and sell this to the public once again?

lol i know why people ignore you. ill do the same

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
NY Giants - Jerry Reese

Reese came to the Giants after a successful playing and coaching career at the University of Tennessee at Martin. During his college playing career (1981-1984), Reese was honored as a two-time All-Gulf South Conference pick. He is among the leaders on UT-Martin’s all-time career list in interceptions. Reese led the team with seven interceptions in 1982 and was UT-Martin's leading tackler in 1984 with 99. Reese was GSC Defensive Player of the Week three times during his career and was named team MVP following his senior season.

Following his playing career, Reese served as a student assistant and as a graduate assistant before becoming a full-time coach of the secondary from 1988 through 1993. He moved to receivers coach and assumed the assistant head coach title in January of 1993.
Washington Commanders - Bruce Allen

Oakland Raiders
Allen first joined the Oakland Raiders organization in 1995. He won the George Young Executive of the Year award with the club during their AFC Championship year in 2002.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Following the 2003 season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers released long-time general manager Rich McKay, whose relationship with Super Bowl XXXVII winning coach Jon Gruden had deteriorated. The Glazer family, which owned and oversaw the Buccaneers, hired Allen to replace McKay, as Allen had previously worked with Gruden in Oakland.

Allen immediately began looking for a more youthful team in Tampa Bay. This included releasing long-time Buccaneer John Lynch and allowing Warren Sapp to leave for free agency, along with drafting Auburn running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams in the 2005 draft.

The Buccaneers performance during Allen's tenure was mixed. His first year there, the team went 5-11. The next year however, they were 11-5 and won the NFC South division in 2005, but went 4-12 in 2006. The team rebounded to a 9-7 record and another NFC South title in 2007, after which Allen (and Gruden) had their contracts extended to 2011. Following a second 9-7 record in 2008 and missing the playoffs after four consecutive losses in December, however, both Allen and Gruden were released.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Philadelphia Eagles - Howie Roseman

Roseman was hired by the Philadelphia Eagles as an unpaid intern to work on salary cap issues in 2000. He was promoted to director of football administration in 2003. He was promoted to vice president of football administration in 2006. He was promoted to vice president of player personnel on May 30, 2008. He was promoted to general manager on January 29, 2010 after Tom Heckert was hired by the Cleveland Browns in the same role.

Seattle Seahawks - John Schneider

Green Bay Packers

He started working in the Scouting Department for the Green Bay Packers in 1993.

Kansas City Chiefs

He was the Director of Pro Personnel for the Chiefs from 1997 - 2000.

Seattle Seahawks

He worked for the Seahawks in 2000 under Ted Thompson.

Washington Commanders

In 2001, Schneider became the Vice President of Player Personnel.

Green Bay Packers

Schneider went back to the Green Bay Packers as the top personnel aide to the Packers' GM. He then elevated to Director of Football Operations.

Seattle Seahawks

In January 2010, the Seahawks made a splash with the hiring of Pete Carroll as its head coach. Schneider came on board one week later. It was a rare case in which the head coach had hiring control over the general manager. The Seahawks Front Office has been a collaboration from the beginning. Schneider has control over salary cap and contract issues and works closely with Carroll on personnel matters. Generally, Schneider will scout the players and report to Carroll who has final decision over roster moves. The relationship has been described as Schneider setting the menu and Carroll picking specific players off of it.