Will Someone Explain Malik Davis To Me?

Chasing6

Reaction score
They played the guy tonight like was the 3rd back, and then let the others kind put their resume out there.

I don’t get it. I’ve never seen anything special about Malik Davis. Is he a good special teams guy or something?
The players playing tonight were mostly to show their skill set for other teams to see them and pick them up when they are released.

Yes, their were a few battles left that may have been close enough that today's game was a factor.

However, 95% of the grading was already complete. This game may have been 5%.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best explanation of Malik Davis is his two year history as an NFL player: 2 seasons (now his 3rd), had 38 carries for 161 yards, 1 TD…all in his first year in 2022. Was not trusted as a pass blocker so last year never played a down. He’s nothing special.

My theory on why he’s here is very simple: this team is desperate for RBs and they usually like “their guys”.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They played the guy tonight like was the 3rd back, and then let the others kind put their resume out there.

I don’t get it. I’ve never seen anything special about Malik Davis. Is he a good special teams guy or something?
Some of it is the fact that both Vaughn and Freeman missed time because they were hurt, so Davis got a lot of those snaps in the first two game. Tonight, I think they wanted to see Vaughn and then when he proved that he should be on the roster, it became academic. I mean, the snaps Snoop Conner played also were a waste, but we weren't keeping anyone else on the 53. Who knows, maybe we didn't want to play Freeman more or Peat because we want to try to put them on the PS. If you're set, might as well feature the guys you don't mind someone claiming.

kskboys

Reaction score
Some of it is the fact that both Vaughn and Freeman missed time because they were hurt, so Davis got a lot of those snaps in the first two game. Tonight, I think they wanted to see Vaughn and then when he proved that he should be on the roster, it became academic. I mean, the snaps Snoop Conner played also were a waste, but we weren't keeping anyone else on the 53. Who knows, maybe we didn't want to play Freeman more or Peat because we want to try to put them on the PS. If you're set, might as well feature the guys you don't mind someone claiming.
Freeman is a vet. Not PS material.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Freeman is a vet. Not PS material.
Vets can be and are signed to the PS now. There are 16 spots to fill, and each player can be called up three times. You put vets like Freeman on the practice squad for that. You also put developmental players on there. Part of the reasons you cut some vets instead of younger players is you can come to handshake agreements with them not to sign with someone else while younger players can be claimed.

My PS picks (based on who I think we will keep on the 53) are:

RB Royce Freeman
RB Nathaniel Peat
WR Jalen Cropper
WR Kelvin Harmon or Tyron Billy-Johnson
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford
TE Peyton Hendershot or Princeton Fant
OL Dakota Shepley
OL Nathan Thomas
DE Al-Quadin Muhammad
DE Villaimi Fehoko
DT Denzel Daxon (doesn't count against number)
DT Albert Huggins
DT Justin Rogers
LB Buddy Johnson
LB Willie Harvey
CB Kemon Hall or Josh DeBerry
S Julius Wood

There are a few players who could shake that up. I wouldn't be surprised for C.J. Goodwin to start off on the PS or Andrew Booth.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a bum. I listened all week to Uncle Fester and Robert Belt tell me how Davis will get the roster spot over Deuce partly because of pass protection and then I watch Davis get absolutely ran over at the start of the game to get Lance killed. Deuce couldn't have done worse.

All of these other backs suck. Deuce is the only talent in the group. It reminds me of the Jackson 5.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He's a bum. I listened all week to Uncle Fester and Robert Belt tell me how Davis will get the roster spot over Deuce partly because of pass protection and then I watch Davis get absolutely ran over at the start of the game to get Lance killed. Deuce couldn't have done worse.

All of these other backs suck. Deuce is the only talent in the group. It reminds me of the Jackson 5.
My thoughts is it will be Zeke, Rico and Hunter then maybe Duece.

It is not a good sign for a RB to be moved to WR in camp, if his job is safe at RB.

Anytime a player is being moved to a new position, it should be a wake up call.

Keep in mind the pass Trance throw over Duece's head is most likely caught be another of our RB's.

J12B

Reaction score
Vets can be and are signed to the PS now. There are 16 spots to fill, and each player can be called up three times. You put vets like Freeman on the practice squad for that. You also put developmental players on there. Part of the reasons you cut some vets instead of younger players is you can come to handshake agreements with them not to sign with someone else while younger players can be claimed.

My PS picks (based on who I think we will keep on the 53) are:

RB Royce Freeman
RB Nathaniel Peat
WR Jalen Cropper
WR Kelvin Harmon or Tyron Billy-Johnson
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford
TE Peyton Hendershot or Princeton Fant
OL Dakota Shepley
OL Nathan Thomas
DE Al-Quadin Muhammad
DE Villaimi Fehoko
DT Denzel Daxon (doesn't count against number)
DT Albert Huggins
DT Justin Rogers
LB Buddy Johnson
LB Willie Harvey
CB Kemon Hall or Josh DeBerry
S Julius Wood

There are a few players who could shake that up. I wouldn't be surprised for C.J. Goodwin to start off on the PS or Andrew Booth.
Julius Wood is going to get picked up by another team if he goes to our PS

gimmesix

Reaction score
Julius Wood is going to get picked up by another team if he goes to our PS
I'll be surprised. Other teams have their own Julius Woods that they want to stash on their PS.

J12B

Reaction score
I'll be surprised. Other teams have their own Julius Woods that they want to stash on their PS.
Nah plenty of teams would place him on their 53 man roster.

He's good and we better not lose him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not a good sign for a RB to be moved to WR in camp, if his job is safe at RB.
Actually it's a good sign. Clearly they like him and want him to be on the team because of what he has shown at RB. The best time to find out if he can play any at WR is.....offseason and training camp!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Actually it's a good sign. Clearly they like him and want him to be on the team because of what he has shown at RB. The best time to find out if he can play any at WR is.....offseason and training camp!
Ok. What RB1 was moved to WR at camp in prior years?