Will Someone Explain Malik Davis To Me?

Havic

Reaction score
There is nothing to worry about or even wonder. He will not make the team, and is a camp
Body

Rayman70

Reaction score
he's going to be cut, agree. If he isn't, then we can revisit this and talk about if he has damning photos of Jerry or Stevie.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They played the guy tonight like was the 3rd back, and then let the others kind put their resume out there.

I don’t get it. I’ve never seen anything special about Malik Davis. Is he a good special teams guy or something?
We have the worst rb room in the NFL. My guess is the team is just trying to see if someone can step up. Seems Lance is our only run threat.

Nobody we play this year is going to need an extra safety in the box to stop the run.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The best explanation of Malik Davis is his two year history as an NFL player: 2 seasons (now his 3rd), had 38 carries for 161 yards, 1 TD…all in his first year in 2022. Was not trusted as a pass blocker so last year never played a down. He’s nothing special.

My theory on why he’s here is very simple: this team is desperate for RBs and they usually like “their guys”.
Camp body this year perhaps. I never understood the obsession with Davis.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Camp body this year perhaps. I never understood the obsession with Davis.
It's not obsession. Our FO isn't familiar with the players in the league so prefers to deal with the players it knows. The Texans have Cam Akers as their #4 rb on the depth chart. He's better than anyone we have right now. Why not offer a trade? Because Jerry doesn't know the guy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It's not obsession. Our FO isn't familiar with the players in the league so prefers to deal with the players it knows. The Texans have Cam Akers as their #4 rb on the depth chart. He's better than anyone we have right now. Why not offer a trade? Because Jerry doesn't know the guy.
because they draft and develop...we like our guys is alive and well.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have the worst rb room in the NFL. My guess is the team is just trying to see if someone can step up. Seems Lance is our only run threat.

Nobody we play this year is going to need an extra safety in the box to stop the run.
AC I highlighted the last sentence in your post because I think this is an all too often overlooked point. When the defense does not have to worry about a RB that can instantly gash them for a big run, their safeties aren’t even needed to support the run.

Why is this huge? Because it takes away the power of play action passes and generally makes the passing game much harder to execute. In essence, with no RBs to threaten a defense, all the pressure to move the ball falls completely on the QB.

This type of weak running game creates more of those dreaded 3rd and 8 type situations where even great QBs are only about 35% successful on 3rd and long. 3rd and 2 is so different than 3rd and 8.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
because they draft and develop...we like our guys is alive and well.
Yep. In the case of rb though, I think it's just failure to plan and execute. They thought they could sign Derrick Henry who wanted to play here. But , Jerry whiffed b/c he doesn't have the confidence in his judgement to pull the trigger. Then they failed to draft a rb. It's really unbelievable.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AC I highlighted the last sentence in your post because I think this is an all too often overlooked point. When the defense does not have to worry about a RB that can instantly gash them for a big run, their safeties aren’t even needed to support the run.

Why is this huge? Because it takes away the power of play action passes and generally makes the passing game much harder to execute. In essence, with no RBs to threaten a defense, all the pressure to move the ball falls completely on the QB.

This type of weak running game creates more of those dreaded 3rd and 8 type situations where even great QBs are only about 35% successful on 3rd and long. 3rd and 2 is so different than 3rd and 8.
I just have no idea what the FO is thinking other than just to implode this year, make Dak look bad, and hope to sign him for less?

"Let's put a rookie at LT and center, give him no run game, and let CD hold out. That will teach him a lesson." :flagwave:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yep. In the case of rb though, I think it's just failure to plan and execute. They thought they could sign Derrick Henry who wanted to play here. But , Jerry whiffed b/c he doesn't have the confidence in his judgement to pull the trigger. Then they failed to draft a rb. It's really unbelievable.
yep its nutty that he messed that one up. He wanted to be here, all Jerry had to do was extend the olive branch, and they arrogantly assumed he would take less to come here, and by most accounts, they didn't even call him. Can't make this stuff up.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yep its nutty that he messed that one up. He wanted to be here, all Jerry had to do was extend the olive branch, and they arrogantly assumed he would take less to come here, and by most accounts, they didn't even call him. Can't make this stuff up.
Well, you know, we got Duece so who needs Derrick Henry? lol

quickccc

Reaction score
They played the guy tonight like was the 3rd back, and then let the others kind put their resume out there.

I don’t get it. I’ve never seen anything special about Malik Davis. Is he a good special teams guy or something?
i see a try hard guy,.. he runs hard but i see other run hard guys too,... we simply don't emphasize RBs in pass game so i don't see anything about his receiving game .... and he's not a dynamic return guy in special teams .. so he's a bottom of the gallon barrel to me.

but coaches may see him differently beauty n the eyes of the beholder..

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
If there’s a big hole he can run straight in it then into whoever is straight ahead.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Malik looked solid in camp in 22 and 23. Looks like Freeman/Deuce made him expendable.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke, Royce, Vaughn and Lup, not room for anyone else imo
That's another thing. They've been talking about keeping 5 not 4 and Deuce still not making it. Zeke, Dowdle, Freeman, Davis, Luepke.