Will Someone Explain Malik Davis To Me?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Tell you what since the beginning of last year I don’t see the Leupke obsession especially since he seemed shelved and a non contributor most of the year . Would keep Freeman over him .

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
They played the guy tonight like was the 3rd back, and then let the others kind put their resume out there.

I don’t get it. I’ve never seen anything special about Malik Davis. Is he a good special teams guy or something?
Forget him, pls. It will be Elliott (only Jerald would take us back on the DeLorean) plus Dowdle and Leupke. I do not see the Boys keeping 4 RB chaps as the team needs more depth on the D. They are all average RBs and will be a diversion/change of pace and not an offensive weapon.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Anyone given to worrying about a RB like Malik must be hard up for something to worry about. I guess I'm just jealous, actually. :muttley:

Last edited:

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
If you have a lack of quality at RB, you might as well have a variety. That's why you keep Vaughn over Freeman. It should be Vaughn over Elliot, but that just wont be the case. Dowdle will have the most carries. Until he gets hurt again. Then they will ride with Zeke. You'll see Deuce in garbage time. Leupke will be on the field a fair amount with different roles. Hopefully next off season, they'll find something at the position. Or maybe they just dont want to go down the same road again and over pay a RB.

Bagman

Reaction score
He's a bum. I listened all week to Uncle Fester and Robert Belt tell me how Davis will get the roster spot over Deuce partly because of pass protection and then I watch Davis get absolutely ran over at the start of the game to get Lance killed. Deuce couldn't have done worse.

All of these other backs suck. Deuce is the only talent in the group. It reminds me of the Jackson 5.
Agree 100%. If Deuce was even Emmitt Smith sized, he'd be an All-Pro. As far as M. Davis, he sucks. Way too soft as a runner and blocker. That was a DB that trucked him on the way to crushing Lance. Pathetic.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a bum. I listened all week to Uncle Fester and Robert Belt tell me how Davis will get the roster spot over Deuce partly because of pass protection and then I watch Davis get absolutely ran over at the start of the game to get Lance killed. Deuce couldn't have done worse.

All of these other backs suck. Deuce is the only talent in the group. It reminds me of the Jackson 5.
Agreed.

Anyone that would keep Davis over Deuce needs their heads examined.

shabazz

Reaction score
I knew what they really thought of Malik a year and a half year ago

In that 19-12 loss to the 49ers, when Pollard when out injured, Malik never got a single carry.....even Ceedee had 2 carries

kskboys

Reaction score
Vets can be and are signed to the PS now. There are 16 spots to fill, and each player can be called up three times. You put vets like Freeman on the practice squad for that. You also put developmental players on there. Part of the reasons you cut some vets instead of younger players is you can come to handshake agreements with them not to sign with someone else while younger players can be claimed.

My PS picks (based on who I think we will keep on the 53) are:

RB Royce Freeman
RB Nathaniel Peat
WR Jalen Cropper
WR Kelvin Harmon or Tyron Billy-Johnson
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford
TE Peyton Hendershot or Princeton Fant
OL Dakota Shepley
OL Nathan Thomas
DE Al-Quadin Muhammad
DE Villaimi Fehoko
DT Denzel Daxon (doesn't count against number)
DT Albert Huggins
DT Justin Rogers
LB Buddy Johnson
LB Willie Harvey
CB Kemon Hall or Josh DeBerry
S Julius Wood

There are a few players who could shake that up. I wouldn't be surprised for C.J. Goodwin to start off on the PS or Andrew Booth.
Good stuff. Didn't know that.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt he makes the 53. I’d keep Deuce and Freeman over him. He’s 25/26 so I’m not sure he is still developing, not great in pass pro, and is just OK as a runner. I’d give that last rb spot to someone with upside.
RBs don’t ’develop’ much accept maybe pass blocking
They are what they are when they come out of college

CWR

Reaction score
They played the guy tonight like was the 3rd back, and then let the others kind put their resume out there.

I don’t get it. I’ve never seen anything special about Malik Davis. Is he a good special teams guy or something?
Should of cut him after they refused to play him against the niners. Pollard went down and we absolutely needed more than Zeke.

kskboys

Reaction score
Freeman will be gone.
Which would be a mistake. At this point in their careers, Freeman is better than Zeke.

The bigger question is why is Zeke being handed a roster spot? Must be his stellar 3 YPC, hey?