Will Someone Explain Malik Davis To Me?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
They played the guy tonight like was the 3rd back, and then let the others kind put their resume out there.

I don’t get it. I’ve never seen anything special about Malik Davis. Is he a good special teams guy or something?
He appears to be a QB's worst enemy when it comes to picking up a blitz package. He got blown up last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Freeman is the best RB on this roster, and I'm not sure we're going to keep him. Be a crying shame if we keep Zeke and Dowdle over him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Freeman is the best RB on this roster, and I'm not sure we're going to keep him. Be a crying shame if we keep Zeke and Dowdle over him.
You might be thinking of Devonte Freeman who used to play for Atlanta. Royce freeman is a career backup who hasn't had more than 100 carries in a season since 2019. Easy mistake. I think the cowboys got confused too.

john

Reaction score
If Fassell likes a guy then he is safe. Most teams , the 2nd RB plays STs. but here that isn't the case and Davis does. So if Fassell has his way, we will cut Deuce or cause us to keep the xtra RB, and end up cutting that wr, LB or DB that hasnt impressed Fassell. Like Goodwin...what has he done to be considered uncuttable.

kskboys

Reaction score
You might be thinking of Devonte Freeman who used to play for Atlanta. Royce freeman is a career backup who hasn't had more than 100 carries in a season since 2019. Easy mistake. I think the cowboys got confused too.
Nah, I just think our RB room is that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Zeke Dowdle Freeman Vaughn Leupke . That’s it .

Malik Davis Peat & Connor gone .
To be honest all the backs who came in looked good in that game. That tells me the line was moving people. Love seeing that even if it's backups on backups. It's clear Zeke and Dowdle are locks for the roster. So is Luepke. I think Connor, Peat and Davis are all cutdown day victims. None of them stood out from the others. Vaughan and Freeman on the other hand bring something those other three don't. Freeman terrific power and Vaughan brings.. well.. juice. So I guess that's a long winded way of saying I agree with your list! LOL!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Which would be a mistake. At this point in their careers, Freeman is better than Zeke.

The bigger question is why is Zeke being handed a roster spot? Must be his stellar 3 YPC, hey?
Seriously, on what do you base this assertion? Freeman's best season from a YPC standpoint would be Zeke's 4th or 5th best. He's not as talented a player as Zeke and never has been. I think you are being blinded by visions of gimpy Zeke limping around in that knee brace the last two seasons he was in Dallas. I think the further he gets away from those injuries (and Kellen Moore's offense using him as a glorified fullback and 6th offensive lineman) the closer he will be to the Zeke we all know and love.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
AC I highlighted the last sentence in your post because I think this is an all too often overlooked point. When the defense does not have to worry about a RB that can instantly gash them for a big run, their safeties aren’t even needed to support the run.

Why is this huge? Because it takes away the power of play action passes and generally makes the passing game much harder to execute. In essence, with no RBs to threaten a defense, all the pressure to move the ball falls completely on the QB.

This type of weak running game creates more of those dreaded 3rd and 8 type situations where even great QBs are only about 35% successful on 3rd and long. 3rd and 2 is so different than 3rd and 8.
While this is true to some extent let's not ignore the fact that a running game that can induce death by a thousand cuts ( 5 yards a pop) is even more damaging to a defense than a big play run offense because typically big play backs are feast or famine. They give you 15 1 and 2 yard runs waiting for that one 50 yarder. It's much tougher on a defense when the offense is just methodically moving the chains down the field. Especially if they have a back who can cash in when they get close. Which the Cowboys did NOT have last year.. but should actually have two of this year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They played the guy tonight like was the 3rd back, and then let the others kind put their resume out there.

I don’t get it. I’ve never seen anything special about Malik Davis. Is he a good special teams guy or something?
He will be on waivers. Nothing else to explain.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Did you forget Dowdle?

What we should keep: Freeman, Dowdle, Vaugn Luepke.

What we'll prolly keep: Zeke, Dowdle, Vaughn, Luepke
Freeman should be on the 53. I am wondering if we stash Deuce on IR for a while.