Will Someone Explain Malik Davis To Me?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While this is true to some extent let's not ignore the fact that a running game that can induce death by a thousand cuts ( 5 yards a pop) is even more damaging to a defense than a big play run offense because typically big play backs are feast or famine. They give you 15 1 and 2 yard runs waiting for that one 50 yarder. It's much tougher on a defense when the offense is just methodically moving the chains down the field. Especially if they have a back who can cash in when they get close. Which the Cowboys did NOT have last year.. but should actually have two of this year.
Ronnie I hope you’re right. But a defense doesn’t have to respect your running game if all you threaten them with is 2-3 yards at a time. The threat of breaking a big run is a weapon in and of itself.

The lack of a running game threat makes it harder on the offense as a whole because defenses can just cheat their safeties and LBs however they see fit. Ronnie I’m just being honest. This is least impressive backfield I’ve seen around here in nearly 20 years. I really like the new young lineman we drafted but having two rookie OL and a non-threatening array of RBs spells B..A..D to me. Just my opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score
Seriously, on what do you base this assertion? Freeman's best season from a YPC standpoint would be Zeke's 4th or 5th best. He's not as talented a player as Zeke and never has been. I think you are being blinded by visions of gimpy Zeke limping around in that knee brace the last two seasons he was in Dallas. I think the further he gets away from those injuries (and Kellen Moore's offense using him as a glorified fullback and 6th offensive lineman) the closer he will be to the Zeke we all know and love.
Zeke has lost his hops. Burst just isn't there any more.

I think the opposite, that you might be blinded by your love for the RB position. If Zeke was still good, he'd have been signed for much more than a mil and a half or so.

Zeke's last 4 years:

I don't think it's the gimpiness holding him back, I think he lost a ton of vitality from his bout w/ the disease. It hit him really hard, and he hasn't been the same since. I'd absolutely it if he's recovered, as you think he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Ronnie I hope you’re right. But a defense doesn’t have to respect your running game if all you threaten them with is 2-3 yards at a time. The threat of breaking a big run is a weapon in and of itself.

The lack of a running game threat makes it harder on the offense as a whole because defenses can just cheat their safeties and LBs however they see fit. Ronnie I’m just being honest. This is least impressive backfield I’ve seen around here in nearly 20 years. I really like the new young lineman we drafted but having two rookie OL and a non-threatening array of RBs spells B..A..D to me. Just my opinion.
Think it's really changed that much from Emmit's time?

Chasing6

Reaction score

I think the opposite, that you might be blinded by your love for the RB position. If Zeke was still good, he'd have been signed for much more than a mil and a half or so.

Zeke's last 4 years:

I don't think it's the gimpiness holding him back, I think he lost a ton of vitality from his bout w/ the disease. It hit him really hard, and he hasn't been the same since. I'd absolutely it if he's recovered, as you think he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't believe we are keeping 5 RB's and pretty sure Zeke will be one of them.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
If Fassell likes a guy then he is safe. Most teams , the 2nd RB plays STs. but here that isn't the case and Davis does. So if Fassell has his way, we will cut Deuce or cause us to keep the xtra RB, and end up cutting that wr, LB or DB that hasnt impressed Fassell. Like Goodwin...what has he done to be considered uncuttable.
Davis only stays because he is better on special teams than others trying to make the team.

The RB room is really sad IMO, and I am worried we will be stuck with a three yards and a cloud of dust running game.

rambo2

Reaction score
If they put Davis on the 53 it would suck. The special teams deal for Davis is a bunch of bs. They can put a better player on the team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Davis only stays because he is better on special teams than others trying to make the team.

The RB room is really sad IMO, and I am worried we will be stuck with a three yards and a cloud of dust running game.
If it is that sad why would we consider taking 5 RB's?

kskboys

Reaction score
Don’t understand what you mean? I’m just saying this is the worst collection if backs we’ve seen here in two decades.
Oh absolutely.

I'm saying you don't need a homerun threat, you need the guy who gets the tough yards. Emmit broke very few long runs during his career.

kskboys

Reaction score

He is? Who is saying he's good on ST's, haven't heard that.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Don’t understand what you mean? I’m just saying this is the worst collection if backs we’ve seen here in two decades.

Agree, while we were missing around the egirls and the cheeseheads got better at the position and the cheeseheads old RB ran it down our throats in the PO game.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
It's much tougher on a defense when the offense is just methodically moving the chains down the field. Especially if they have a back who can cash in when they get close.
In 2022 when Zeke was here...how about we look at the facts?

52 times Cowboys faced third and short (two or less yards)...and went with a run play. Here are the results:

Zeke converted: 16/26 (62% success)
All other Cowboys carriers: 19/26 (73% success)

Chasing6

Reaction score
Oh absolutely.

I'm saying you don't need a homerun threat, you need the guy who gets the tough yards. Emmit broke very few long runs during his career.
Just need to move the chains.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Zeke's last 4 years:

Never use the NFL's evaluation of dudes as the sole arbiter of whether a guy is any god or not. Teams misevaluate guys all the time. We saw a prime example of that playing QB for the Cowboys on Saturday. I think a lot of the dropoff in his ypc in Dallas had to do with Moore's offense. He simply ran Zeke the same 2 or 3 stupid up the middle delay handoffs over and over. Unless your line is just maulin people, and our wasn't, you aint gonna get big yards that way. Especially if you're a running back playing 2/3 of the games in a huge knee brace. As for the loss of hops? I dunno.. I saw him hurdler a dude in Denver and barely break stride on his way into the end zone last year. He was very effective in space for the Pats.. their line and QB play was just too horrid to allow the running game to make any hay. I'm not saying we are getting 2016 Zeke back.. but I do think 2018-2019 Zeke is a real possibility, especially if the line continues to show it can maul. Cause we know Zeke can.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Never use the NFL's evaluation of dudes as the sole arbiter of whether a guy is any god or not. Teams misevaluate guys all the time. We saw a prime example of that playing QB for the Cowboys on Saturday. I think a lot of the dropoff in his ypc in Dallas had to do with Moore's offense. He simply ran Zeke the same 2 or 3 stupid up the middle delay handoffs over and over. Unless your line is just maulin people, and our wasn't, you aint gonna get big yards that way. Especially if you're a running back playing 2/3 of the games in a huge knee brace. As for the loss of hops? I dunno.. I saw him hurdler a dude in Denver and barely break stride on his way into the end zone last year. He was very effective in space for the Pats.. their line and QB play was just too horrid to allow the running game to make any hay. I'm not saying we are getting 2016 Zeke back.. but I do think 2018-2019 Zeke is a real possibility, especially if the line continues to show it can maul. Cause we know Zeke can.
The Cowboys do not play their starters in preseason. Definitely not in preseason game 3.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
In 2022 when Zeke was here...how about we look at the facts?

52 times Cowboys faced third and short (two or less yards)...and went with a run play. Here are the results:

Zeke converted: 16/26 (62% success)
All other Cowboys carriers: 19/26 (73% success)
That's a weird interpretation of the data dude. In 2022 Zeke had 25 carries on 3rd and 1-3 yards. He got first downs on 18 of those and scored TDs on 3. That works out to 21 for 25. By my math that's an 84% success rate. Where might I ask did you get your numbers? Here is where I got mine:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00/splits/2022/