Will Stephen hire a GM one day? Don't bet on it

Eddie

Reaction score
Pro football will never be a business favoring a family of amateurs actively pretending to be a valid pro football entity. :rolleyes:

This not Jerry's Pizzeria where it can be handed down as a family business. We have seen such utter failure over the past 24 years as a football franchise, it's beyond reproach. Jerry has made billions off the Cowboys name, but has utterly failed as a football franchise.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, you didn't. You just say you did.

There's a reason why it was never a huge thing covered everywhere and a reason why no media member has ever referenced that comment from Stephen years ago and that is because it never happened. It was a lie and many wanted to believe the lie. It made them feel better.
OK, I didn't hear Bigfoot say it. It was more of a guttural grunting but it sounded like "Stephen's hiring a GM" to me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This not Jerry's Pizzeria where it can be handed down as a family business. We have seen such utter failure over the past 24 years as a football franchise, it's beyond reproach. Jerry has made billions off the Cowboys name, but has utterly failed as a football franchise.
Unfortunately, that's what it is. The pizza is not very good but the game room is great.

Several of the franchises are hand me downs, OAK, CIN, NYG, PIT and CHI and NO were to wives, like the Rams used to be. I don't see them selling the Cowboys because they all have jobs, it's nepotism central so they'll be around forever. They've got that bunch of squirrels you see in the suite getting ready to join up. Damned if they're not more frightening than this bunch.

SSoup

Reaction score
He'd have to be a moron to not have learned anything from the endless criticism his dad got. Hiring a GM is the easiest move he can make when it's up to him because it would signal he's not going to make the same mistake his dad made, and it also gives him a whole other position (in addition to head coach and coordinator posts) to scapegoat and make hires/fires as needed to appease fans.

If you rob yourself of one extra layer of a firewall just for vanity, you're really just inviting unnecessary hatred. There's a reason Jerry didn't ever just install himself as head coach officially, so that he'd still have someone to fire and blame instead of all that heat landing squarely on him. The fact that he understands that about the head coach position but willfully chooses not to understand it about the General Manager position shows how stupid Jerry really is. And shows how he fundamentally doesn't value positioning the team to acquire the best players. And shows he's still got a gambling mindset of chasing losses and expecting his next big win will offset everything and completely rewrite the narrative.

The odds that Jerry raised a kid smarter than him? Quite good. Rich idiots can afford to see that their kids are better educated, so they're set up to be smarter if they took advantage of those educational opportunities.

The odds that he raised a kid less tragically vain? Mmm, I dunno. Rich garbage people routine raise kids who are similarly flawed as people (and in fact they're often worse because they benefited from less character-building than the generation before them). We'll find out when the day comes, I guess.

foofighters

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/stephen-jones-on-kellen-moore-new-staff-questions

13:30 into the video, Stephey, the world's worst Director of Player Personnel and cap man, talks about how disappointed he is that it's been so long since the Cowboys won anything. Then he goes on to mention how people say he and his daddy have their fingers in places they shouldn't be in but that's why they got into the business and it isn't ever changing. They like their "relationships" with the scouts and coaches.

Watch the video and ask yourself if this sounds like a guy who is interested in handing football operations off to another when he takes over.

That will be yet another cosmetic change, Jerry to Stephen, that does nothing to improve the team.

He is his father's son.

(Cowboys!)
Meh. by then Goodell will have ruined football to the point that I am no longer interested and will be too busy riding my Harley...

rags747

Reaction score
This isn't surprising. Jerry bought a big expensive toy to play with back around 1990 and he wants to play with it himself. Stephen grew up watching his daddy play with the toy and learned to want the same thing. Little Stephen knows he will inherit his dad's toy one day and then he will get a chance to play. I get it. They have a really nice sports car and they want to drive it. Its fantasy football only its for real with them. If you suck at fantasy football every year, do you get someone to pick your roster for you? Nope, you continue to pick it yourself hoping for a miracle. I've seen this before with the NY Yankees and George Steinbrenner. When Steinbrenner died his kids took over. The difference is, when Steinbrenner wasn't winning he did something. He fired Billy Martin a few times. He signed Reggie Jackson. He hired baseball people like Brian Cashman to pick his team for him. He still meddled too much but at least he had enough pride to realize if his team did not win it reflected on him. Jerry doesn't seem to care about that. He always thinks he is doing a great job even if the Cowboys haven't done anything significant for almost 25 years. Stephen may be teh same but then again, he may also get bored with losing. We'll have to wait and see.
Loved Steinbrenner and love Jerry too. I wonder what that says...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s weird to me that we’ve got people who still think the Cowboys have personnel and cap management issues.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/stephen-jones-on-kellen-moore-new-staff-questions

13:30 into the video, Stephey, the world's worst Director of Player Personnel and cap man, talks about how disappointed he is that it's been so long since the Cowboys won anything. Then he goes on to mention how people say he and his daddy have their fingers in places they shouldn't be in but that's why they got into the business and it isn't ever changing. They like their "relationships" with the scouts and coaches.

Watch the video and ask yourself if this sounds like a guy who is interested in handing football operations off to another when he takes over.

That will be yet another cosmetic change, Jerry to Stephen, that does nothing to improve the team.

He is his father's son.

(Cowboys!)
Yep, unfortunately

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t believe Stephen will run it like Jerry. I’m not sure his siblings will allow it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
OK, I didn't hear Bigfoot say it. It was more of a guttural grunting but it sounded like "Stephen's hiring a GM" to me.

I read the sentences that quoted where SJ said he would not serve as GM when he took over the team. It was at least a decade ago and perhaps more. The problem is that, as long as Jerry is around to breathe and "have the last word," it's a promise that won't materialize. Is it possible that such promises can erode into nothingness and be long forgotten by Stephen? Only time will tell.

We might well be obliged to wait until such time as Jerry is no longer alive on this planet before the whole truth is revealed. I'm convinced of the fact that I may very well never see it come to fruition in my lifetime with Jerry being a year younger than myself. This constitutes a revolting development for one who has been following this team for the last 58 years. Good luck to those who are willing to wait that long for relief. ;)

Last edited:

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
IMG0833.jpg
Deedy...you will be proud, look what I found in the dumpster bin...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

He is his father's son.

(Cowboys!)

Your take is obtuse to how owners at other franchises work. This notion that the rest of them are excised from "football operations" is just ignorant and far too much of a fixation on titles.

This is doubly so when you consider Lurie, Snyder, and Mara, the other owners of the NFCE.

If you want to play the game of "the Joneses are too stupid to win" game and ignore empirical evidence to the contrary then have fun with that.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Just because I come here to talk smack doesn't mean I have an invested interest. 17 games this season and I watched maybe 3 all the way through. I'm sick of the Jerry and Garrett circus, and the NFL in general is becoming more and more like the WWF.

I've watched 0 in 2 years. Step up your game lol

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
Nope, this guy is dumber than his daddy. Might be better at managing the salary cap, but who else in this world is dumb enough to say Aikman is just an armchair QB?
His arrogance and attitude will be 10X worse than his daddy's when he is in charge.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many years have passed since he said he would hire a GM and with that, many appearances and interviews. He suffers from the same ailment as his old man and likes that half-assed celebrity status. He also thinks as his old man thinks and therein lies the trap of owning a business. Just because one owns something doesn't make them the best qualified to run it. Having the ability to buy a business doesn't qualify one to run all of it.
The Peter Principle personified.