Will the Cowboys pick up the option on Hurns?

conner01

Reaction score
Going by last year, he's not nearly worth his projected salary.

If we exercise his option, I think we're eating another million as a roster bonus for him. That looks like throwing good money after bad. No thanks.

But with an injury settlement likely, there may be some reason to eat that while he heals instead of doing an injury settlement now.

He didn't do anything for us last year, after being our presumptive #1. It's all about the most cost effective way to move on from him now.
His option is too high for the production
I think 4 WR’s from last years roster could be gone

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They are OK at WR

ACooper- Gallup- NBrown-....... projects- CWilson- RDavis

Bring back TAustin or Beasley........ whoever is cheaper and Draft someone

garyv

Reaction score
They were unlikely to keep him with or without the injury. His 2019 salary would be 6.25M.

The team does not owe him money. His contract didn't have guaranteed money.

If he had been injured in 2019 off-season practices, then they would owe him money in 2019.

This is true so cutting him just saves them 6.25 million for next season

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
That's 7.25 million if you let both T-Will and Hurns go. That is a nice chunk of money to put towards adding an impact player at S or DT.

I wonder what a guy like Robert Quinn would cost if he hits the FA market.

Danny Shelton or Jonathan Hankins and Quinn on short show me deals would be very intriguing to me.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They need to decline his option. Stop wasting time with receivers coming off ankle/ foot injuries. Hurns was bad when healthy, next year he will be worse. He might bounce back in 2020.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
They have to decide by March 13 but I'm confused. How can they release him if he injured?

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/02/17...-hurns/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Will the Dallas Cowboys pick up the option on Allen Hurns?

by Steven Mullenax4 hours ago Follow @stevenmullenax
Very soon the Dallas Cowboys will have to make a decision about the future of wide receiver Allen Hurns and if he’ll be on the team in 2019.

Last season, the biggest free agency signing the Dallas Cowboys made was arguably that of wide receiver Allen Hurns. The veteran wideout was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars last March after spending his first four seasons in Florida.

I saw Hurns as the slot receiver here if Beasley walked. One horrible ankle and leg break later, I'm skeptical, doubtful, apprehensive, questioning. unsure, quizzical (ie) I don't see an extension clearly through my windshield. I'll pass and let the team doctor's and training staff decide on extent of recovery for game 1

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Naming the four.... Williams, Beasley, Hurns, Austin? That leaves a rather bare refrigerator. I would keep one of Bease, Austin, Hurns. Got a three sided coin? :). Make that two-sided, I'm not a big fan of Austin's fragility.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The don't have to "release" him. He signed a 1-year contract, with a team option for a second year. All they have to do is decline to pick up the 2nd year option. No injury settlement required.

The Cowboys sign a similar type contract with Henry Melton in 2014 - a 1 year deal with a team option for an additional 3 years. Prior to the beginning of the next season, they simply declined to pick up their option.

If the Cowboys don't pick up the option by 3/13/19, Hurns becomes a free agent. They don't have to "cut" him.
Hey, where the hell have you been? We need this type of info this time of year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They are OK at WR

ACooper- Gallup- NBrown-....... projects- CWilson- RDavis

Bring back TAustin or Beasley........ whoever is cheaper and Draft someone
This is an OK corps if you have a dynamic receiving TE. Without that, this is pretty poor and abysmal if you have an injury.

I'm fine letting Hurns go - pretty much have to - but that top 5 you mention there is bad.I'd try to add 2 veterans to that group.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Was not impressed, but some of that could very well be the guy throwing it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is an OK corps if you have a dynamic receiving TE. Without that, this is pretty poor and abysmal if you have an injury.

I'm fine letting Hurns go - pretty much have to - but that top 5 you mention there is bad.I'd try to add 2 veterans to that group.
I guess I like it a lot more than you do

There are only so many targets to go with Zeke and the TEs

We are talking about adding depth that will be 5-6th options

ACooper
Gallup
Zeke
Barwin
Slot WR
Schultz
RB3
NBrown
CWilson

jrumann59

Reaction score
Going by last year, he's not nearly worth his projected salary.

If we exercise his option, I think we're eating another million as a roster bonus for him. That looks like throwing good money after bad. No thanks.

But with an injury settlement likely, there may be some reason to eat that while he heals instead of doing an injury settlement now.

He didn't do anything for us last year, after being our presumptive #1. It's all about the most cost effective way to move on from him now.
Besides Cooper going by last year all the WR did not deserve the money got.