Will the Cowboys pick up the option on Hurns?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They have to decide by March 13 but I'm confused. How can they release him if he injured?

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/02/17...-hurns/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Will the Dallas Cowboys pick up the option on Allen Hurns?

by Steven Mullenax4 hours ago Follow @stevenmullenax
Very soon the Dallas Cowboys will have to make a decision about the future of wide receiver Allen Hurns and if he’ll be on the team in 2019.

Last season, the biggest free agency signing the Dallas Cowboys made was arguably that of wide receiver Allen Hurns. The veteran wideout was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars last March after spending his first four seasons in Florida.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They have to decide by March 13 but I'm confused. How can they release him if he injured?

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/02/17...-hurns/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Very soon the Dallas Cowboys will have to make a decision about the future of wide receiver Allen Hurns and if he’ll be on the team in 2019.

Last season, the biggest free agency signing the Dallas Cowboys made was arguably that of wide receiver Allen Hurns. The veteran wideout was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars last March after spending his first four seasons in Florida.

Hope not.

DcFootball4

Reaction score

Isn’t he a slot guy? I would keep him around. I believe they can do a settlement with him on money and then release him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The risk here is he won't be available until August but the other issue is his 2019 salary locking in if he's on the roster for the first game.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

His money isn't guaranteed .... they expect him back by Training Camp so they can make a small injury settlement and release him

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Hurns, at his best, is a poor comparible to Bease and TWill, yeah, that TWill.
Unload the guy as soon as he is healthy as per an independent doctor. Hurns and his manager, knowing what an average player he is, will milk the injury, I am sure.
Blimey, the things I say!

CelticPunk

Reaction score

I remember reading a few times it would be a cap savings of $5M if we cut him now. I personally like the guy. From what I can tell he's been heavily involved in helping in the community, is a great locker room guy, and works hard. I obviously don't know him, but that seems to be the case. Beasley was a favorite of mine, but he seems to run his mouth a lot and doesn't appear to be happy here. If that's my choice, I go with Hurns, preferably with an injury settlement and lower salary.

cern

Reaction score
The damage to his ankle was severe. Doubtful he plays this year. If ever. Ergo, I'd release him. 5 mil is 5 mil.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think the option makes it easier to move on versus flat out just cutting him.

Another free agent fail by this current front office. Hope that gets better immediately. The college scouting department has greatly improved. Pro scouting? Not so much.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The don't have to "release" him. He signed a 1-year contract, with a team option for a second year. All they have to do is decline to pick up the 2nd year option. No injury settlement required.

The Cowboys sign a similar type contract with Henry Melton in 2014 - a 1 year deal with a team option for an additional 3 years. Prior to the beginning of the next season, they simply declined to pick up their option.

If the Cowboys don't pick up the option by 3/13/19, Hurns becomes a free agent. They don't have to "cut" him.

Last edited:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Injury settlement. Will give him part of his salary

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Going by last year, he's not nearly worth his projected salary.

If we exercise his option, I think we're eating another million as a roster bonus for him. That looks like throwing good money after bad. No thanks.

But with an injury settlement likely, there may be some reason to eat that while he heals instead of doing an injury settlement now.

He didn't do anything for us last year, after being our presumptive #1. It's all about the most cost effective way to move on from him now.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think it was a foregone conclusion that he was gone.

The horrific injury may have caused some guilt or obligation felt by the FO,

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think the option makes it easier to move on versus flat out just cutting him.

Another free agent fail by this current front office. Hope that gets better immediately. The college scouting department has greatly improved. Pro scouting? Not so much.
The pro scouting still has its lazy moments, but they did hit with Su'a-Filo and Woods.

I just wish they would get a little more creative/aggressive sometimes.

817Gill

Reaction score
The damage to his ankle was severe. Doubtful he plays this year. If ever. Ergo, I'd release him. 5 mil is 5 mil.
He’s going to be back by August and will most definitely play football again no question. It did look bad but it was a clean break no nerve damage, not a career ender.