Will the Cowboys trade a player for a pick?

Rayman70

Reaction score
What if tank wants $23M per year. Do you still feel the same way about him? I personally don't think he's worth that. Tank resigning here is not a foregone conclusion.

You can't pay Tank to be the highest paid DE in the league when he's not worth that type of cap hit. You want to keep the player. So do I.

But we should have learned with the Dez contract not to pay an outrageous contract to a one trick pony player.
hes worth it easily even if he affects 1 important play in a crucial situation. Forget the sack for a minute....he is a darn good run stuffer too. I don't think he was right physically against the Rams btw. That part worries me some going forward. Do we sell high or buy low?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could see a trade up into the 1st if a target falls but not with a player. DE's and CB's are not that easy to come by and with Jones and Lawrence, you'd have to find a partner that is aligned with the value placed on them by the Cowboys and willing to pay the freight instead of taking a shot on their own in the draft at a much more affordable rate. And it would probably take someone with multiple picks like OAK.

I think if they move up, they package picks to do it. And I have a hard time believing that Booger can just sit there and miss out on all the draft thunder. Trading up is more a probability to me than a possibility.

Rayman70

Reaction score
DE/EDGE guys that are complete ball players that affect everyplay are scarce as hens teeth in this league. When you get one, they tend to stick around for a longtime as a result. DLAW better be here,period.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That's a possibility. We would need to draft another player to fill the void left by Byron, but that's a $50M savings minimum.
well..yes agree. But don't rule out McClay finding another hidden gem as an UDFA..like he did with Charkandrick Ward...the kid that we shipped to KC this offseason..Kid wound up starting for them much of the year. That is a huge compliment to MCCLAY. I think we can get a guy on the cheap for depth going that route.

sbark

Reaction score
don't forget we have Armstrong too....
There....depends what they see in him, and even taco. Taco might not have the pure pass rush skills, but in a de rotation on run downs, he has the size etc in that regards, then add in Crawford , who's salary is cheap compared to d.law

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not convinced that the Cowboys are going to wait around until late in the second round to make a pick in this draft. I think there is at least the possibility that the Cowboys attempt to move up and offload some upcoming salary burden this offseason.

Tank, Byron, Lee and TWill are possibly salary cap moves. Lee may net a late pick in the draft (probably won't based on his play) and TWill is probably going to be an outright cut.

Tank and Byron are two guys that have significant value in a potential trade. I believe someone would give a 1st for Tank. I also believe someone would give up a 2nd for Byron.

If you believe that Richard was the reason that Byron "blew up" this year, then you move on from Byron and save his $50m hit.

I like both players. I'm just not sure Tank is worth $100m over 5 years and I'm not sure Byron isn't a product of Richard (former legion of boom coach).
Tank played under the franchise tag, so he is not under contract for next year. Nobody will trade serious value without any certainty of keeping him beyond just being able to franchise him again. Byron Jones only has one year left on his contract, so that limits his value too

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I don't WANT to lose either one of these guys but, Byron was mediocre for 3 years. Tank has faded every year down the stretch. He feasts in the first half of the season then shows up on a milk carton at about week 10.

How many impactful plays did Tank get against the Rams? Not many.

Maybe if you get another player on the line Tank balls out all year long. But he's not a Ware type who can beat a double team with regularity. That brings him closer to average than exceptional.

Would Kansas City give up a pick to improve that horrid defense? Would they trade Tyreek Hill to get Byron Jones or Tank? Would they give up a pick to do it?

I think you are reaching to really discredit these guys. Nobody is perfect and players have crappy games, but tell me what did Dallas really have before those guy?

Tank is good and byron was a top 5 CB thos past season. There is no guarantee that we will find impactful replacements.

You are rushing to fix what isnt broken.

dckid

Reaction score
I am not convinced that the Cowboys are going to wait around until late in the second round to make a pick in this draft. I think there is at least the possibility that the Cowboys attempt to move up and offload some upcoming salary burden this offseason.

Tank, Byron, Lee and TWill are possibly salary cap moves. Lee may net a late pick in the draft (probably won't based on his play) and TWill is probably going to be an outright cut.

Tank and Byron are two guys that have significant value in a potential trade. I believe someone would give a 1st for Tank. I also believe someone would give up a 2nd for Byron.

If you believe that Richard was the reason that Byron "blew up" this year, then you move on from Byron and save his $50m hit.

I like both players. I'm just not sure Tank is worth $100m over 5 years and I'm not sure Byron isn't a product of Richard (former legion of boom coach).
Why would you trade away Tank? We should have given him a long term deal this offseason. Don’t make a stupid move like trading him after not giving a long term deal. Make the right decision and sign him. Don’t pay him Mack or Donald money of course.

Honestly all this money talk regarding salry cap makes no sense. Cowboys are not hurting for money, nor are they hurting salary cap wise. We can do whatever we want this offseason and sign our own guys. I would redo Zeke and Coopers contract. Gotta take the good with bad. We wanted a number 1 guy we got him going into the fifth year option. We traded away a number 1 pick which comes with a slotted 5 year cost.
Having said that cap goes up 10 million a year, please look it up, don’t just take my word for it. NFL TV contracts are a cash cow. TNF was a disaster for years but when it came up for renewal what did Fox do? In 2014 CBS paid 300 million a year for TNF, FOX paid 660 per year over 5 years. Think about that for a second. Football’s viewership is going up and up. Watch what happens when the AFC, NFC, Sunday deals come up. I could see Amazon coming in and offering an order of magnitude higher than what the others offer for one of these packages... my guess is SNF. Jerry has no money concerns no cap worries. Make your moves now and sign the right guys to get ahead of the rest of the league. We are not Cincy, Cleveland, Jacksonville.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Trade tank or Byron and you just put a hole in the roster where there wasn't one before. That's just stupid.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I don't WANT to lose either one of these guys but, Byron was mediocre for 3 years. Tank has faded every year down the stretch. He feasts in the first half of the season then shows up on a milk carton at about week 10.

How many impactful plays did Tank get against the Rams? Not many.

Maybe if you get another player on the line Tank balls out all year long. But he's not a Ware type who can beat a double team with regularity. That brings him closer to average than exceptional.

Would Kansas City give up a pick to improve that horrid defense? Would they trade Tyreek Hill to get Byron Jones or Tank? Would they give up a pick to do it?
Gregory became our best pass rusher down the stretch. I wouldn't franchise Lawrence again because he already said he was fine the first time but no way will be do it the second time. You risk splitting the locker room and having a Pittsburg situation.

What I would do is sign Lawrence and go get that DT position fixed. I think a better push up the middle will allow Lawrence and Gregory to feast.

Now with Byron when I first read to trade him I said no. After reading Richards is the one that got him to blow up I thought it's possible to trade him but now we have another position of need. I think he has one more year left on his contract so maybe see how he plays this season and make a decision next year about him. That will also give us time to find a replacement if we decide to let Byron go.

slick325

Reaction score
Not sure they trade a player, but I definitely can see them moving up in the early to mid 2nd if there is a player they love.

Verdict

Reaction score
hes worth it easily even if he affects 1 important play in a crucial situation. Forget the sack for a minute....he is a darn good run stuffer too. I don't think he was right physically against the Rams btw. That part worries me some going forward. Do we sell high or buy low?

Again, he's a valuable player. The question is what number is too high to resign him.

Also what other alternatives are available, and what is the advisability/opportunity cost of each option? All of those things must be weighed and the best option has to be selected for the team as a whole, short term and long term.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ONLY way I trade DLaw is if its a deal that blows our doors off. For 2 first round picks,a 2nd and a mid round next year. MAYBE. That said, Defensive talent like this doesn't grow on trees. He is a force. That means we are counting on Gregory heavily and others to step it up. That's a HUGE ask. Byron is the trade I would make in a heartbeat. He isn't a ball hawk. If we can steal a late 1st or 2nd for him,coupled with a future mid rounder, I would do that. Makes too much sense not to.
In other words, you wouldnt trade Tank.

Verdict

Reaction score
Why would you trade away Tank? We should have given him a long term deal this offseason. Don’t make a stupid move like trading him after not giving a long term deal. Make the right decision and sign him. Don’t pay him Mack or Donald money of course.

Honestly all this money talk regarding salry cap makes no sense. Cowboys are not hurting for money, nor are they hurting salary cap wise. We can do whatever we want this offseason and sign our own guys. I would redo Zeke and Coopers contract. Gotta take the good with bad. We wanted a number 1 guy we got him going into the fifth year option. We traded away a number 1 pick which comes with a slotted 5 year cost.
Having said that cap goes up 10 million a year, please look it up, don’t just take my word for it. NFL TV contracts are a cash cow. TNF was a disaster for years but when it came up for renewal what did Fox do? In 2014 CBS paid 300 million a year for TNF, FOX paid 660 per year over 5 years. Think about that for a second. Football’s viewership is going up and up. Watch what happens when the AFC, NFC, Sunday deals come up. I could see Amazon coming in and offering an order of magnitude higher than what the others offer for one of these packages... my guess is SNF. Jerry has no money concerns no cap worries. Make your moves now and sign the right guys to get ahead of the rest of the league. We are not Cincy, Cleveland, Jacksonville.

What if Tank holds the team hostage? You on board for paying him whatever he wants regardless of how much that is? Probably not.

You can't ignore the fact that the team TRIED to resign him last year and he wouldn't go for what we offered him.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Gregory became our best pass rusher down the stretch. I wouldn't franchise Lawrence again because he already said he was fine the first time but no way will be do it the second time. You risk splitting the locker room and having a Pittsburg situation.

What I would do is sign Lawrence and go get that DT position fixed. I think a better push up the middle will allow Lawrence and Gregory to feast.

Now with Byron when I first read to trade him I said no. After reading Richards is the one that got him to blow up I thought it's possible to trade him but now we have another position of need. I think he has one more year left on his contract so maybe see how he plays this season and make a decision next year about him. That will also give us time to find a replacement if we decide to let Byron go.

This! The key 5 words in this essay is " better push up the middle".

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Cowboys FO is big on self-validation (to be honest, all Front Offices are, just more so with the Jones'), so I don't see them trading the players they drafted that developed into Pro Bowlers. I could see them trading Taco Charlton (voiced negative opinions) and Jourdan Lewis (in and out of doghouse) but it would end up being for middle-to-late round picks. I could maybe see Xavier Su'a-Filo being traded to a team in need of an immediate starter on the O Line.

Other than that, I don't see anyone being traded and/or any significant return. Teams also know our history of releasing players, so no one is in a hurry to give us any value. Terrance Williams will likely be cut and some team will pick him up. Same deal for Sean Lee, but I hope we find a way to keep him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'd be all over a Tank trade. Good player, but I think we overpay based on performance alone, let alone the injury history red flag. I'm desperate to avoid this bad contract. It seems so inescapable. It would be so hard for them to give up their best rusher, but the contract is just going to be overvalued.

Note that just letting him walk likely brings a 3rd as a comp pick.

MaaS

Reaction score
Tank is worth more than a 1st rounder to us. No way should we make that trade. People forget that a pick is simply a different human. The odds of this other human contributing more than Tank are very low.

But Byron Jones? I like him a lot, but would trade him for a 1st for financial reasons. We have a ton of talent coming up for new deals in the next two years, and I'm skeptical we can resign it all anyways. With that said, I'd be surprised if anybody offered a 1 for Jones. Who knows.