Will the Cowboys trade a player for a pick?

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
why not trade both? free up salary cap and get picks in return. I don't mind either player, but Byron seems to give up big plays, so if I had to pick it would be him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think a trade is possible, but not for the guys you are thinking of. First Tank is a FA, So we'd have to do a second franchise to even consider having him available for a trade. The chances for that are very slim.

There is precedent. We were shopping Spencer after we gave him the 2nd franchise.

But it's unclear why Lawrence wouldn't just take the franchise and play the free agent game again next year. He already got a huge chunk of change last year, so it's not like he'd be locking in a life changing about of money.

This year, 20 mil more guaranteed if franchised again. That's probably half the guaranteed money of a contract. Why not take it, then barring injury, get the same guaranteed money the following year anyway? I don't think the injury risk is that great.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We can "tag" Tank and then enter into negotiations to trade his rights before he actually signs his franchise tag tender. It's probably to his advantage to work with us instead of playing under the FT again. It happens somewhat routinely.
If we tag him, Lawrence should immediately sign and lock in his guaranteed money.

I think it's his advantage to FT again. He'll lock in half the guaranteed money of a contract this year, then most likely get to add the full amount to it next year.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I am not convinced that the Cowboys are going to wait around until late in the second round to make a pick in this draft. I think there is at least the possibility that the Cowboys attempt to move up and offload some upcoming salary burden this offseason.

Tank, Byron, Lee and TWill are possibly salary cap moves. Lee may net a late pick in the draft (probably won't based on his play) and TWill is probably going to be an outright cut.

Tank and Byron are two guys that have significant value in a potential trade. I believe someone would give a 1st for Tank. I also believe someone would give up a 2nd for Byron.

If you believe that Richard was the reason that Byron "blew up" this year, then you move on from Byron and save his $50m hit.

I like both players. I'm just not sure Tank is worth $100m over 5 years and I'm not sure Byron isn't a product of Richard (former legion of boom coach).
I said all along that the front office will try and move D_Law. Gregory proved he can make plays, Taco....well there is still a big ol ?....D_Law will bring a 1st rounder plus, Byron not so much. Keep the 2ndary and get a couple picks for D_Law....

CalebTC84

Reaction score
I read all the comments about Tank and I'm a little shocked about how many voiced their wishes to trade him. I wouldn't trade him. Period. He's the best player on the defense. Period. LVE had a great year, Jaylon had a great year, Byron, Crawford who doesn't get mentioned as much as he should had a fantastic year, but none created more of am impact that Tank. Don't forget that Tank went up against more double teams this year than his entire career. I think he's in the top three defensive ends in the league against the run, he's an incredibly dynamic pass rusher with double digit sacks for two years straight, and most importantly he's the vocal leader in the locker room for that defense.

Imagine what kind of role he took on this year with the absence of Sean Lee for the majority of the season. He's the leader of the Hot Boyz and gave that defense an identity. Gregory started to come on in the second half of the season, Woods came out of nowhere for us and played very well, and so did Collins for that matter. Everyone knows our biggest disappointment this season was the Irving fiasco and the question mark of what exactly is going on with Taco and when to start putting more teeth into questing the pace in which he develops. My point, Tank was rock freaking solid. Don't deter from what momentum we created this year on D.

Interesting note on Byron Jones however, and it was mentioned here on the thread, is the upcoming decisions we have to make in that secondary. Byron and Anthony Brown are coming up on some contract years, we have Jourdan Lewis who we all know has had some limited reps but overall played well this year, Chido is rock solid, and then arguably the biggest need next year is help at safety. Do we leverage Jones to make room to sign Earl? Do we trade up to grab a safety in the draft? I don't think we're going to be that aggressive and I think our front office's goal is to make Jones a Cowboy for life.

I think the Jones decision is interesting to consider but I think trading Tank is crazy talk. I hope both stay.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I am not convinced that the Cowboys are going to wait around until late in the second round to make a pick in this draft. I think there is at least the possibility that the Cowboys attempt to move up and offload some upcoming salary burden this offseason.

Tank, Byron, Lee and TWill are possibly salary cap moves. Lee may net a late pick in the draft (probably won't based on his play) and TWill is probably going to be an outright cut.

Tank and Byron are two guys that have significant value in a potential trade. I believe someone would give a 1st for Tank. I also believe someone would give up a 2nd for Byron.

If you believe that Richard was the reason that Byron "blew up" this year, then you move on from Byron and save his $50m hit.

I like both players. I'm just not sure Tank is worth $100m over 5 years and I'm not sure Byron isn't a product of Richard (former legion of boom coach).
Why in the hell would you trade Tank or Jones just to move up in the draft for an unknown? That’s fricken ridiculous.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I trade away DLaw and now I have to go draft another pass rusher. I won't get one as good as DLaw on the open market for any less than DLaw wants, so I gotta draft one.

Same with moving Byron. Now I have to draft another guy in the secondary.

Either way, I lose a known commodity in exchange for a pick which is pigeonholed to an unknown commodity at the same position.

What's the point in drafting well if we move them when they start developing into their prime?

If it's up to me, I'm making the cap space elsewhere if needed, such as on Lee's contract.
That’s a very nice way of saying to the OP your an idiot.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'd be all over a Tank trade. Good player, but I think we overpay based on performance alone, let alone the injury history red flag. I'm desperate to avoid this bad contract. It seems so inescapable. It would be so hard for them to give up their best rusher, but the contract is just going to be overvalued.

Note that just letting him walk likely brings a 3rd as a comp pick.

The odds are if we resign jim to a mega deal there is almost zero chance he is worth the percentage of the cap that his contract will use up.

Verdict

Reaction score
If we tag him, Lawrence should immediately sign and lock in his guaranteed money.

I think it's his advantage to FT again. He'll lock in half the guaranteed money of a contract this year, then most likely get to add the full amount to it next year.
I don't think he will want to play under the tag a second year.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
What if tank wants $23M per year. Do you still feel the same way about him? I personally don't think he's worth that. Tank resigning here is not a foregone conclusion.

You can't pay Tank to be the highest paid DE in the league when he's not worth that type of cap hit. You want to keep the player. So do I.

But we should have learned with the Dez contract not to pay an outrageous contract to a one trick pony player.

Especially one that disappears towards the end of the season and was completely invisible in the playiffs

CPanther95

Reaction score
You can't trade what you don't have. If Tank doesn't sign the tag, he's not a Dallas Cowboy - and there's no chance he would sign the tag just so Dallas would own his rights to negotiate a trade.

Tank would rather negotiate his long term contract in 2020 with another team than do it in 2019 saddled work the cost of a first round pick hanging around his neck.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
History says they will sit pat and draft the players still on the board.
The cost to move into round 1 simply destroys another year’s draft.
Nope, Cooper is our #1 pick....simply draft the board from there.

Dre11

Reaction score

Why in the heck would we trade our only pass rusher and best DLineman, and Richard is in love with Jones. As much as people hate TWill , I think he's back.

ccb04

Reaction score
Would consider moving La'el Collins for a pick or prehaps to move up. Williams could get first crack at RT...would also draft a tackle & try to resign Fleming. Looney, Sua-Filo & Ehinger, could compete at LG.

Collins is young & offers a team some versatility. The Cowboys have already invested heavily in the Oline & need to invest elsewhere, which makes Collins a guy that they likely can't pay.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I trade away DLaw and now I have to go draft another pass rusher. I won't get one as good as DLaw on the open market for any less than DLaw wants, so I gotta draft one.

Same with moving Byron. Now I have to draft another guy in the secondary.

Either way, I lose a known commodity in exchange for a pick which is pigeonholed to an unknown commodity at the same position.

What's the point in drafting well if we move them when they start developing into their prime?

If it's up to me, I'm making the cap space elsewhere if needed, such as on Lee's contract.

The point of Drafting well is your save money by not over paying a Veteran.... Drafting well keeps the salary cap manageable