News: Will The Ideal Edge Rusher Elude The Cowboys Once Again?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Will The Ideal Edge Rusher Elude The Cowboys Once Again?
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...-the-dallas-cowboys-once-again-2017-nfl-draft

In a perfect world, the Dallas Cowboys would have DeMarcus Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford as cornerstones in their defense and wreaking havoc on opposing quarterbacks. In reality, both guys are returning from their second consecutive offseason surgeries and neither has been much of an impact for this team. Comparable to a broken record, the same issues have been affecting this team and it’s not something that is simple to fix.

Everyone wants the Cowboys to have an elite pass rush. We’re so tired of seeing guys like Aaron Rodgers have all the time they need to stick the slow dagger in the hearts of Cowboys fans at the end of a good season. However, wanting is one thing and being able to execute that is another. The Dallas Cowboys haven’t had a guy with double-digit sacks since Jason Hatcher in 2013. They haven’t been able to draft and elite edge rusher since DeMarcus Ware, who just so happens to be headed to Canton one day. It’s hard to find players like Ware and it’s not like they are sitting in every single draft waiting to be plucked.

I have been very adamant about the Cowboys taking an edge rusher early in this draft and it’s mainly because I feel the “right” pass rusher has been eluding them for the past few years. Myles Garrett may be that generational player like a Ware or J.J. Watt but the amount of capital it would take to get him would leave holes all over the roster. It’s still not going to sway those of us who want to take a shot at a Derek Barnett, Takkarist McKinley, Taco Charlton, Charles Harris, T.J. Watt, or Tyus Bowser. There is a pass rusher for everyone and we’ve already split those hairs...

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honestly I see a run on CB as more likely then DE. The top end of the CB class seems more favored then the top end of DE outside Garrett. I see Lattimore,Humphries, Conley, King and maybe even White gone

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just don't force the pick.
Nothing worse than forcing a 1st round pick on a player who is not a cornerstone or shouldnt be taken that early.
On average, Dallas has been good in the 1st round in recent years by avoiding that trap.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Nothing worse than forcing a 1st round pick on a player who is not a cornerstone or shouldnt be taken that early.
On average, Dallas has been good in the 1st round in recent years by avoiding that trap.
Yeah the team has been very good about taking the best player available and not reaching for need.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score

The Jerry "War Daddy" interview brought me back to the mid '90's when Jerry was constantly chasing our next Charles Haley with Carver, Pittman, and Ekuban. While at the same time, our former head coach found Jason Taylor in the third round of the '97 draft. Luckily, I think the new command structure will keep us from chasing after unicorns. I also have faith that McClay and Rod will find us the right guys to beef up our defense.

Carson

Reaction score
The Jerry "War Daddy" interview brought me back to the mid '90's when Jerry was constantly chasing our next Charles Haley with Carver, Pittman, and Ekuban. While at the same time, our former head coach found Jason Taylor in the third round of the '97 draft. Luckily, I think the new command structure will keep us from chasing after unicorns. I also have faith that McClay and Rod will find us the right guys to beef up our defense.

Good post! I agree with you.

We must trust in Will and Rod.

Rod has his guys, so we're looking at 1 maybe 2 pass rushers.

Lawrence, Mayowa, Moore, Tapper, Collins, Irving, Crawford, Thornton, Paea.

Only guys I see maybe not being here next season is Thornton and Moore.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

We're picking 28th. Assuming we sit still, we're likely getting a player with a 2nd round grade.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Everyone has a different definition of what is the "ideal pass rusher". So no matter who the Cowboys draft, someone is going to poo poo the pick. Until the Cowboys finally draft a guy (the real deal war daddy) that makes everyone else forget who their original ideal pass rusher was, this vicious circle of year in year out unhappiness at that position will continue.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

Dlaw won't be here next season

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I think our best bet remains to trade down into the 2nd and acquire another third round pick. The talent level at 28 will be similar as in the first 10 picks in the 2nd round. This draft is deep with corners into the 3rd round and as long as one of the top des doesn't fall this seems to be the most prudent strategy.... There are some 2nd round des that I think are as intriguing as some of the top players after Myles Garrett. If we came out of the second round with a player like Basham or Willis, and a CB or safety, then spent the two thirds on Ju Ju Smith and another Corner that would be a lot of young talent added to that defense.

diefree666

Reaction score

I see no reason to trust people that have been here for how many seasons without accomplishing a pass rush?

Carson

Reaction score
I see no reason to trust people that have been here for how many seasons without accomplishing a pass rush?

I don't disagree. But we know how Rod coaches and he has his rotational guys.