News: Will The Ideal Edge Rusher Elude The Cowboys Once Again?

CCBoy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys are going to become a great team...they need a real Leader on the defense. A tough nut that can lead his team mates on the defense. The Cowboy Championship teams had that element.

Marinelli coaches a hustling and physical type of a defense, but he doesn't have a bunch that punish opponents or make them pay for success on their side of the ball. You need two to three true head hunters on a defense.

This held true for the Air Force Academy when it made it to the Sugar Bowl, and Texas A&I when we made it National Champs, NAIA, and undefeated...

in all of our linebacker's locker doors, was this picture:

n500f3d8ba779a.jpg

...and this caption: 'Beep, beep, my arse!'

Last edited:

haleyrules

Reaction score
Marinelli coaches a hustling and physical type of a defense, but he doesn't have a bunch that punish opponents or make them pay for success on their side of the ball. You need two to three true head hunters on a defense.

The held true for the Air Force Academy when it made it to the Sugar Bowl, and Texas A&I when we made it National Champs, NAIA, and undefeated...

n500f3d8ba779a.jpg

Agreed. Headhunters....l like that!

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
don't be surprised if they take a offensive player with there first or second round pick offense sells tickets

CCBoy

Reaction score
don't be surprised if they take a offensive player with there first or second round pick offense sells tickets

No, the concept of BPA didn't go away because it wasn't a current cliché...they have shown that the team is: (1) responsible in player selection (2) select the best player by team evaluations.

This affects a functional level in free agency as well.

JBond

Reaction score
Indeed, there was a contingent here on the board that weren't sold on Gregory.
I was in that group and caught a lot of flack for it. I just didn't see what everyone was so excited about. At this point, I wonder if he will ever play again.

JBond

Reaction score
JJ watt was a generational player coming out of the draft? I dont remember anyone saying that.

We fell for that best pure pass rusher crap with Randy Gregory and when he wasn't smoking he has an non factor in the games.

Please draft pass rusher in this order:
1. Good character
2. High motor
3. Power
4. Speed

Last: pure pass rusher. Dumbest thing I've heard in years. They never pan out.
Lots of room on the Willis bandwagon. Jump on. Coach Snyder has nothing but great things to say about him. That's good enough for me.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
when we needed one to keep the season going where were they?
if you mean GB game, marinelli only rushed 3 guys the last play, you arent going to get the qb with just 3.
and in 2nd half when they did bring 5 it worked, he just didnt do it at right times.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're picking 28th. Assuming we sit still, we're likely getting a player with a 2nd round grade.
I would be OK with a trade down. They would need to get extra compensation to make up for losing the 5th year option, but the first half of the 2nd round seems very similar to being at #28.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if you mean GB game, marinelli only rushed 3 guys the last play, you arent going to get the qb with just 3.
and in 2nd half when they did bring 5 it worked, he just didnt do it at right times.
They had a lot of success with that 3 man line during the season. It probably would have worked on that final play if they didn't hold Irving.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Just don't force the pick.
Nothing worse than forcing a 1st round pick on a player who is not a cornerstone or shouldnt be taken that early.
On average, Dallas has been good in the 1st round in recent years by avoiding that trap.
Best player available..

I think that is what has to happen with each pick.

The thing for me..

is with Jayson Smith seeming to recover and contribute this year..

are we going to take another flyer on somebody who will slip because of injury and will we spring again at the risk/reward thing?

haleyrules

Reaction score

This held true for the Air Force Academy when it made it to the Sugar Bowl, and Texas A&I when we made it National Champs, NAIA, and undefeated...

n500f3d8ba779a.jpg

Ha! I always called them...QB hating...bloodthirsty...Mentally ill paas rushers!!

haleyrules

Reaction score
Give me...Charles Haley... James Harrison...Vontace Burfit...Mel Blount...Jack Tatum..Randy White....etc...etc...I will give you...a SB...Keep your sizzle playin gearboxes...victory is in the trench...

Last edited:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Give me...Charles Haley... James Harrison...Vontace Burfit...Mel Blount...Jack Tatum..Randy White....etc...etc...I win give you...a SB...Keep your sizzle playin gearboxes...victory is in the trench...
i love that list. I like a little nasty in my defensive players too. Like ray Lewis or when James Washington was swinging that camera tripod at the opponents. That's back in the day when teams really hated each other. Now it's all love, hugs, and swapping jerseys. Smh

Emasculation of our society. Better head to my safe zone now. Bye bye

diefree666

Reaction score
i love that list. I like a little nasty in my defensive players too. Like ray Lewis or when James Washington was swinging that camera tripod at the opponents. That's back in the day when teams really hated each other. Now it's all love, hugs, and swapping jerseys. Smh

everytime I hear that defenseless player BS I want to throw up

haleyrules

Reaction score

Amen. Make the sizzle pay. Pain wins. Intimidation wins....DEFENSE WINS. Sizzle is for the highlight reel. Make em blink...make em think.