News: Will The Ideal Edge Rusher Elude The Cowboys Once Again?

Carson

Reaction score
From what ive read and heard about the Cowboys They're preference is DE at 28.

If Takkarist McKinley or Taco Charlton are there that will be the pick.

The backup to them is TJ Watt.

I think one of them will be there, and i think thats the pick.

Thanks Latin, good insight. I will say Takk or Taco would make me very disappointed. With that being said, it does depend on the rest of the draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well it depends on who your playing ??
My guess is rodgers loves the 3 man line.
If he rolls out he see the field better, and with more time he will find someone.
They won 13 games with a defense that lacked talent. The coaching and scheme must have been doing something right.

They had a LB out there where Rodgers rolled out but the LB held up instead of pressuring Rodgers. That LB was there in place of the 4th DL so the scheme had accounted for everything but the individual player hesitated and made it easy for Rodgers.

Verdict

Reaction score
OP: Will the pass rusher remain elusive?
Me: Most likely, unless it is Tapper.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We pick at 28; of course the ideal pass rusher will elude us....duh.
But we will improve our team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just don't force the pick.
Nothing worse than forcing a 1st round pick on a player who is not a cornerstone or shouldnt be taken that early.
On average, Dallas has been good in the 1st round in recent years by avoiding that trap.
You could argue the Cowboys forced the Frederick pick and it worked in their favor.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You could argue the Cowboys forced the Frederick pick and it worked in their favor.
Maybe if they'd taken him at 18
But they drafted him at 31 and near where they graded him, PLUS got an extra third round pick to boot.
So not at all a force, imo.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
They won 13 games with a defense that lacked talent. The coaching and scheme must have been doing something right.

They had a LB out there where Rodgers rolled out but the LB held up instead of pressuring Rodgers. That LB was there in place of the 4th DL so the scheme had accounted for everything but the individual player hesitated and made it easy for Rodgers.
I think it was durant, and I think his job was to spy rodgers, and keep him from running.
With only 3 rushing, rodgers could take off and run.
Thing is with the time situation mere containment wasnt smart.
He could have done it the way he was coached to do it, or maybe not.

He did hesitate, but if his job was containment, not pass blocking or pressure, then it wasnt his fault.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It also didn't help that one of GB's OL had one of our pass rushers in a choke hold right before Rodgers scrambled.....

Refs swallow their whistles when it gets down to the last play of the game in the playoffs, unless they were recreating a scene from the Exorcist and the Irving's head was spinning around like Linda Blair's, they were not going to throw a flag.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You asked my where the pass rush was when we needed one big play.

Irving was held, but the others weren't.................that is kinda the problem right now, we pretty much have nobody that teams fear

And for the record, after having 2 weeks of rest, out front 7 didn't register a single sack the entire game against Rogers. Our sacks all came from blitzes in the secondary, mainly Heath.

Bottom line is our front 7 totally sucks and scares nobody...............hell, Rogers didn't even bother fastening his chin strap one series. Do you realize how much of an F-U that is to the defense when the QB basically laughs at them and doesn't even bother to button his chin strap cause he knows they cant get to him? And our guys bent over and took it, not surprised they left the field losers that day. When a QB punks you like that and you do jack in response, well that says it all.

d_dub88

Reaction score
Agreed. I feel if we draft Bowser at 28, that we aren't taking BPA.
McClay has stuck to his big conference drafting philosophy and it has worked well for us. I don't think we would see a reach for Bowser unless Marinelli says that is his guy.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Irving was held, but the others weren't.................that is kinda the problem right now, we pretty much have nobody that teams fear

And for the record, after having 2 weeks of rest, out front 7 didn't register a single sack the entire game against Rogers. Our sacks all came from blitzes in the secondary, mainly Heath.

Bottom line is our front 7 totally sucks and scares nobody...............hell, Rogers didn't even bother fastening his chin strap one series. Do you realize how much of an F-U that is to the defense when the QB basically laughs at them and doesn't even bother to button his chin strap cause he knows they cant get to him? And our guys bent over and took it, not surprised they left the field losers that day. When a QB punks you like that and you do jack in response, well that says it all.

I agree we need help in the pass rush. I think most do. My point was that we were only a few out of the top 10. So maybe not as bad as some imagine.

Rodgers is clearly one of the best ever and we did get to him the first game. GB was called for 0 holds in our playoff game, despite several painfully obvious ones that Reggie White and LT would've had trouble with. Rodgers chin strap comedy skit may have paid off. The refs did seem to love it.