News: Will The Ideal Edge Rusher Elude The Cowboys Once Again?

diefree666

Reaction score
I don't disagree. But we know how Rod coaches and he has his rotational guys.

Rod has had significant input for several years now on talent the boys have gone after or kept. I fail to see the results on the field.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Quite possibly, since the average is 21-22 players with true 1st round grades.

What I said still stands. Don't reach
Well they may have to take a guy at 28, because he will be taken before our 2nd round pick comes up ??
That is the problem with drafting at bottom of each round.

Our rd 1 pick is almost a high 2nd rd pick. and 2nd is a 3rd and so forth.

JBond

Reaction score
Everyone has a different definition of what is the "ideal pass rusher". So no matter who the Cowboys draft, someone is going to poo poo the pick. Until the Cowboys finally draft a guy (the real deal war daddy) that makes everyone else forget who their original ideal pass rusher was, this vicious circle of year in year out unhappiness at that position will continue.
I'd be happy if they find a pass rusher that isn't a dope head and can stay healthy on the field. That seems to be a challenge for this front office. Trade down a little and grab Jordan Willis. Amazing production (best regular season numbers) in a major conference, and amazing athletic ability (best combine numbers). If he played at Alabama he would be a top three pick.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well they may have to take a guy at 28, because he will be taken before our 2nd round pick comes up ??

I think you always look to trade down if the value doesnt match the draft position.
I realize though, that it cant be a perfect match.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Rod has had significant input for several years now on talent the boys have gone after or kept. I fail to see the results on the field.
well he should have major imput, but I dont know how much say he has.
Did he want jaylon? Gregory? lawrence?
brown?
Did he want to get rid of mo and church etc?
we dont know.

he could be a guy that says get me whomever and I will coach them up lol.
All I know is he likes smaller faster guys, and likes to rotate to keep them fresh.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It's amazing how many people go out of their way to make excuses for the guy.
like I said, for a defense that gets criticized so much , it is odd people love marinelli, and call him a miracle worker !
No miracles in the GB post season games though.

I am really curious to see how the new secondary does this season.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I'd be happy if they find a pass rusher that isn't a dope head and can stay healthy on the field. That seems to be a challenge for this front office. Trade down a little and grab Jordan Willis. Amazing production (best regular season numbers) in a major conference, and amazing athletic ability (best combine numbers). If he played at Alabama he would be a top three pick.

Bama is good cause they have sooooo much talent everywhere. Best pass rusher they ever had was Derrick Thomas, after that, noone.

Wish people wouldn't think you can just draft someone from Bama and think thats great. They are great as a team with so much talent, individually a lil overrated. Sure they are all probably 5 star athletically out of high school, but they are better as a team.

I will agree though, with Willis' skills on Bama, he probably wouldn't be rated as a second rounder.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score

I think this idea is overblown. It's simply created by how you grade players, which isn't as clear and cut as first rd guys, second, etc. Your gonna get one of the best1-2 rd guys on the board.

Proof

Reaction score
I have two equally strong feelings about the draft. First we absolutely can not take Tim Williams. Second, we will absolutely regret it. :(

DallasDomination

Reaction score
JJ watt was a generational player coming out of the draft? I dont remember anyone saying that.

We fell for that best pure pass rusher crap with Randy Gregory and when he wasn't smoking he has an non factor in the games.

Please draft pass rusher in this order:
1. Good character
2. High motor
3. Power
4. Speed

Last: pure pass rusher. Dumbest thing I've heard in years. They never pan out.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
JJ watt was a generational player coming out of the draft? I dont remember anyone saying that.

We fell for that best pure pass rusher crap with Randy Gregory and when he wasn't smoking he has an non factor in the games.

Please draft pass rusher in this order:
1. Good character
2. High motor
3. Power
4. Speed

Last: pure pass rusher. Dumbest thing I've heard in years. They never pan out.
Indeed, there was a contingent here on the board that weren't sold on Gregory.