Will this be the most boring offseason ever?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't believe I ever said ignore FA but spin in any way you want to. Let me guess, if Tank was an UFA for another team and we were thinking of signing him you'd be creaming your jeans? Ridiculous.

The problem is we have had Lawrence and it's not been enough. That's why i'm not doing back flips over signing what we have already had.

We need to be using Free Agency to supplement the roster and get us over the hump. Using the same guys, same coaches, and some rookies has not been the recipe for this franchise so far.

We have solid regular seasons and get booted from the playoffs around the same spot every year and we repeat what we did again each offseason and expect different results.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Is anything exciting going to happen? Like a curveball that I don't foresee? Sean Payton hire out of nowhere?

Anything to get excited about?

No, not really. I expect maybe one big free agent acquisition and it's not Earl Thomas. I don't see the team making a run at him. He'll be 30 and coming off a season ending injury. No thanks. For all the lamenting and gnashing of teeth, safety was hardly a problem for the team this year.

This offseason in a nutshell: resign DLaw, Cooper, Dak, and Byron Jones, and exercise the 5th year option on Zeke for 2020. Hopefully they can draft a Deebo Samuel in the second round. Jesse James would be a quality free agent add at TE for a low cost.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
The problem is we have had Lawrence and it's not been enough. That's why i'm not doing back flips over signing what we have already had.

We need to be using Free Agency to supplement the roster and get us over the hump. Using the same guys, same coaches, and some rookies has not been the recipe for this franchise so far.

We have solid regular seasons and get booted from the playoffs around the same spot every year and we repeat what we did again each offseason and expect different results.
We also spent a good portion of the last two decades (when we had the cap space) signing any new sparkly we could get our hands on. How'd that work out?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Need a list?

Sure. I'd like to see a list of all the big FA's we've signed.

I really don't think it's worth your time though because i'm watching teams almost every year spend in FA and end up in the superbowl for their efforts. Rams, Eagles, and Broncos recently come to mind.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
they like their own players and will resign them the same players that got their plows cleaned In the divisional round Stephen has already said the would not be big players in free agency their coaching staff Is pretty well set and they don't have a first round draft pick so no their wont be a lot of excitement this offseason

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Sure. I'd like to see a list of all the big FA's we've signed.

I really don't think it's worth your time though because i'm watching teams almost every year spend in FA and end up in the superbowl for their efforts. Rams, Eagles, and Broncos recently come to mind.
So you want "big" FA signings, now?

I'm not 100% disagreeing with your mindset, for the record. I've maintained for years that we should be supplementing or roster through FA. But if I have to choose between throwing big dollars at a guy we know (Tank, Jaylon, Jones, Zeke, etc.) over throwing those same dollars at a guy that we can't be certain will maintain (let alone exceed) his current play level, then I'm taking my guy.

For example: Who on the open market is better than Tank that we'e certain will have similar or better success? I can't think of anyone but I might be wrong (I'm humble enough to admit that). How about Jones? Zeke? Smith?

The problem with FA (and it's always been the problem) is that success stories coming out of that market are usually surpassed by the failures. Suh was a turd wne the went to Miami (and there those on the board screaming from the rooftops that we HAD to have this guy. He got paid and he sucked. He's had a BIT of a resurgence in L.A. but that has a lot more to do with Donald than it does Suh (plus he took a slice of humble pie when he realized he was no longer worth the money he was demanding before).

There ARE teams that have spent big in FA and made it to the dance. the teams you referenced are certainly examples. The question is, are they going to be flashes in the pan (the Broncos certainly have proven themselves to be)? The Eagles sure as hell didn't look real dominant this season (and an argument can be made that they took a significant step backward) and now they're going to have some tough decisions to make. The same will be said of the Rams and they haven't actually won anything yet. One thing is for sure. they won't be able to hang on to Suh, Peters, Talib for very long (maybe not even past this season).

Beyond those stories are the teams that take the same approach and fail miserably. Hell, everyone around here was praising the Giants for building their team "the right way" by blowing a quarter of a billion dollars on a defense that a short two years later ranks at the bottom of the league.

If there's a player worth throwing the money at (at a position that we truly have a need) I'm not against it (and NO to an aging Earl Thomas). But just throwing money out in the FA market at the cost of re-signing our own because "that's how the Rams and Eagles did it" and to make a "splash" in FA is stupid, IMHO.

Falco78

Reaction score
So you want "big" FA signings, now?

I'm not 100% disagreeing with your mindset, for the record. I've maintained for years that we should be supplementing or roster through FA. But if I have to choose between throwing big dollars at a guy we know (Tank, Jaylon, Jones, Zeke, etc.) over throwing those same dollars at a guy that we can't be certain will maintain (let alone exceed) his current play level, then I'm taking my guy.

For example: Who on the open market is better than Tank that we'e certain will have similar or better success? I can't think of anyone but I might be wrong (I'm humble enough to admit that). How about Jones? Zeke? Smith?

The problem with FA (and it's always been the problem) is that success stories coming out of that market are usually surpassed by the failures. Suh was a turd wne the went to Miami (and there those on the board screaming from the rooftops that we HAD to have this guy. He got paid and he sucked. He's had a BIT of a resurgence in L.A. but that has a lot more to do with Donald than it does Suh (plus he took a slice of humble pie when he realized he was no longer worth the money he was demanding before).

There ARE teams that have spent big in FA and made it to the dance. the teams you referenced are certainly examples. The question is, are they going to be flashes in the pan (the Broncos certainly have proven themselves to be)? The Eagles sure as hell didn't look real dominant this season (and an argument can be made that they took a significant step backward) and now they're going to have some tough decisions to make. The same will be said of the Rams and they haven't actually won anything yet. One thing is for sure. they won't be able to hang on to Suh, Peters, Talib for very long (maybe not even past this season).

Beyond those stories are the teams that take the same approach and fail miserably. Hell, everyone around here was praising the Giants for building their team "the right way" by blowing a quarter of a billion dollars on a defense that a short two years later ranks at the bottom of the league.

If there's a player worth throwing the money at (at a position that we truly have a need) I'm not against it (and NO to an aging Earl Thomas). But just throwing money out in the FA market at the cost of re-signing our own because "that's how the Rams and Eagles did it" and to make a "splash" in FA is stupid, IMHO.
Amen!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the off season is a very underrated part of how the team will do the next year. Obviously the draft and FA dominate the headlines but I also think that even small changes to the coaching staff (like last year’s Kris Richard hire) or the addition of someone to the front office (like Will McClay a few years back) can have a big impact.

If Garrett isn’t given an extension, I expect to see some offseason moves the normally risk averse Garrett may try to make, especially if he’s on a “make or break” 1 year remaining on his contract kind of year. That might make the offseason a little more interesting.

If Garrett gets extended this offseason, in my mind it’s proof to me that Jerry sees Garrett as his youngest son and short of committing a felony will be here as HC until Jerry loses his mind or his life, whichever comes first. I certainly hope that isn’t what happens. We’ll see. That scenario makes this offseason somewhat interesting to me.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
the most exciting news, for me, this off season would be to hear that Dak is improving during training camp, and then to see it during the preseason.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The best part of the Cowboys offseason is trying to decipher what the heck Jerry is "really" saying, so they'll be enough entertainment...just wish Stephen would shop in the big boys section during FA to amp this thing up.

CWR

Reaction score
Is anything exciting going to happen? Like a curveball that I don't foresee? Sean Payton hire out of nowhere?

The draft? No first round pick and we pick towards the back of the 2nd round.

FA? Maybe we bring in Earl Thomas but most of that money is going towards our own guys.

Surprise offensive coordinator hire? I don't think it's a coincidence that Kellen Moore has not been officially named OC.

Is there a trade we could pull off? What do we even need that would be worth pulling off a trade for?

The whole thing is set for a status quo offseason and another year of Garrett's offense trying to out athlete our opponents which we all know will not work.

Anything to get excited about?

Please do a welfare check on me in 4 or 5 months, I may die of boredom before next season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's going to be a really interesting offseason. Between the contracts and the shake up on the coaching staff and the relatively good season we've got to build on. We're going to need to add a playmaker on offense somewhere, and we managed to retain Richard and all the interesting comments that come along with him. There's the ET drama we can reheat.

All we're missing is the 1st round pick.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I think it's going to be a really interesting offseason. Between the contracts and the shake up on the coaching staff and the relatively good season we've got to build on. We're going to need to add a playmaker on offense somewhere, and we managed to retain Richard and all the interesting comments that come along with him. There's the ET drama we can reheat.

All we're missing is the 1st round pick.
Well we get wr rookie Cedrick Wilson back, showed good stuff in camp. Broaddus mentioned this recently. And also Terrance Williams.