Will this be the most boring offseason ever?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Is anything exciting going to happen? Like a curveball that I don't foresee? Sean Payton hire out of nowhere?

The draft? No first round pick and we pick towards the back of the 2nd round.

FA? Maybe we bring in Earl Thomas but most of that money is going towards our own guys.

Surprise offensive coordinator hire? I don't think it's a coincidence that Kellen Moore has not been officially named OC.

Is there a trade we could pull off? What do we even need that would be worth pulling off a trade for?

The whole thing is set for a status quo offseason and another year of Garrett's offense trying to out athlete our opponents which we all know will not work.

Anything to get excited about?

I hope it is super boring. Get some of our FA signed like DLaw, get some players who can help in the draft, 100% attendance in OTA and mini camps. Go to training camp and then start the season with no suspended players. I will gladly take boring

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I hope it is super boring. Get some of our FA signed like DLaw, get some players who can help in the draft, 100% attendance in OTA and mini camps. Go to training camp and then start the season with no suspended players. I will gladly take boring

Yeah..

I just don't know if we can get over the hump with what we got.

The coaching will remain poor and the same players will be trying to overcome the uphill battle of winning and overcoming the coaching staff.

The Rams are in the Superbowl because they acquired talent in the offseason through free agency.

The Eagles the same the year before.

We didn't take advantage of Dak's rookie deal.

Philly and the Rams did.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah..

I just don't know if we can get over the hump with what we got.

The coaching will remain poor and the same players will be trying to overcome the uphill battle of winning and overcoming the coaching staff.

I expect FA pickups and of course draft picks. I fully expect the return of Frederick which will be a big boost. All in all this is a very young team and I expect guys to continue to develop and improve. I will not get into your personal opinions on coaches.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I expect FA pickups and of course draft picks. I fully expect the return of Frederick which will be a big boost. All in all this is a very young team and I expect guys to continue to develop and improve. I will not get into your personal opinions on coaches.

Yeah. I know where this road leads though. I've seen it too many times.

We'll be lucky to win the division since no team has done it back to back years in forever.

Status quo doesn't work for this team. They haven't figured that out though.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah. I know where this road leads though. I've seen it too many times.

We'll be lucky to win the division since no team has done it back to back years in forever.

That is your view, I don't agree with it and will not dump past history on these players. I'm sorry I just don't share this pessimistic take.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That is your view, I don't agree with it and will not dump past history on these players. I'm sorry I just don't share this pessimistic take.

Yeah. Maybe you’re right. Hopefully.

I just think we should learn from our history and use other teams as examples like the Rams who were on the cusp and made the moves it took to get to the big game.

2016 was our best year and there were a lot of big changes that year. Change is good.

Jason 82 Witten

Reaction score
Probably signing a couple of players we’ve never heard of, or declining players as backups

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, except for the fact that he had surgery right away and is expected back by training camp...

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...y-expected-to-be-ready-for-football-by-august

The media has no way to know.

The Cowboys won't be counting on him.

Hurns might not have been retained even without the injury. His non-guaranteed salary is 6.25M. That's a bit high for a 4th WR.

I had a similar injury last April (both bones at the ankle). It's a much bigger issue than I realized. I have metal plates and relatively big screws holding it together.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah. Maybe you’re right. Hopefully.

I just think we should learn from our history and use other teams as examples like the Rams who were on the cusp and made the moves it took to get to the big game.

2016 was our best year and there were a lot of big changes that year. Change is good.

Rams had a good run this year but given the FA they have this season it could be a short lived rise to the top and are already pressed on cap room and this before Goff contract will need to be done.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/los-angeles-rams/

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@CATCH17
a) Sometimes boring is good. Sometimes doing nothing is the better alternative than doing something just to do something.
b) The Cowboys are rarely, if ever, boring.

I would expect some key players to get locked up (e.g. Dak, Lawrence, Jones, Cooper).
I would expect the Cowboys to stay put in the draft and not move up.
I would expect interest in Earl Thomas and maybe a 2-3 year deal.
I would expect the Cowboys to sign TE Swaim.

I would expect a lot of interesting moves from other teams though. The Antonio Brown saga, Leveon Bell Part Deux, Eli, Flacco, Tannehill, Kareem Hunt, Odell, and others should provide a lot of excitement.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@CATCH17
a) Sometimes boring is good. Sometimes doing nothing is the better alternative than doing something just to do something.
b) The Cowboys are rarely, if ever, boring.

I would expect some key players to get locked up (e.g. Dak, Lawrence, Jones, Cooper).
I would expect the Cowboys to stay put in the draft and not move up.
I would expect interest in Earl Thomas and maybe a 2-3 year deal.
I would expect the Cowboys to sign TE Swaim.

I would expect a lot of interesting moves from other teams though. The Antonio Brown saga, Leveon Bell Part Deux, Eli, Flacco, Tannehill, Kareem Hunt, Odell, and others should provide a lot of excitement.

This seems pretty reasonable to me. It will be interesting to see if something materializes with Earl Thomas. Have to believe the sides will at least be talking. If ET would take a 2-3 year deal I would think there is a fair chance of something getting done.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
And try to spin that you're not a homer then.
I don’t know what a homer is. I just try to be positive and not make shallow judgements based on what the national media says. I get most of my opinions from watching lockeroom interviews and coaches and owner press conferences. I also have watched almost every Cowboy game since 1963. I missed a few when I was down range a few times, but always caught the rerun.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I don’t know what a homer is. I just try to be positive and not make shallow judgements based on what the national media says. I get most of my opinions from watching lockeroom interviews and coaches and owner press conferences. I also have watched almost every Cowboy game since 1963. I missed a few when I was down range a few times, but always caught the rerun.

Funny how when someone else honestly tries to describe themselves as a fan, it is a spin. And when it is yourself, you supposedly don't know what a homer is, and honestly describing yourself is suddenly okay. There is a bit of intolerance for different view points here.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Is anything exciting going to happen? Like a curveball that I don't foresee? Sean Payton hire out of nowhere?

The draft? No first round pick and we pick towards the back of the 2nd round.

FA? Maybe we bring in Earl Thomas but most of that money is going towards our own guys.

Surprise offensive coordinator hire? I don't think it's a coincidence that Kellen Moore has not been officially named OC.

Is there a trade we could pull off? What do we even need that would be worth pulling off a trade for?

The whole thing is set for a status quo offseason and another year of Garrett's offense trying to out athlete our opponents which we all know will not work.

Anything to get excited about?
By your post, I would say yes.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I can vouch for Rock port he makes shallow judgments.
OK, govnor.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't see them being very active in FA but I would be surprised if Booger stayed with where they're picking with their first pick. Too much opportunity to make some noise. I could see them moving into the 1st round. They need a quality draft, not quantity.

The last time the Cowboys didn't have a 1st round pick? 2009
We followed that off season with an 11-5 record and made it to the divisional round.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Travis health situation, Lawrence contract, OC position, Sean Lee.

Fewer interesting storylines than usual yes. At least there’s no more Jaylon doubter stories.

signing Jimmy F Moreland who somehow goes undrafted, now that would stoke the fire!