Will you really be surprised if Dallas beats the Giants?

khiladi

Reaction score
This offense is a timing offense, and for that reason, I expect Brad Johnson to play better than last game. He has gotten more reps. There is no reason to assume we won't be more fluid on offense this game.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Rampage;2383436 said:
just saw on NFL Live were ranked 31st in forcing turnovers. we gotta improve that if we want to beat the Giants.

Not surprised at all. Even if you told me 32nd. Then again the Detroit Lions and Bengals are a part of this league.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Gotta keep the Giants to 20 points and under. We ain't winning no shootout.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
khiladi;2383567 said:
This offense is a timing offense, and for that reason, I expect Brad Johnson to play better than last game. He has gotten more reps. There is no reason to assume we won't be more fluid on offense this game.

Getting more reps will definitely help with the QB to WR timing but there is lots of reasons to believe we will not be anymore fluid on offense this week. This isn't to say we won't be but pressure disrupts an offenses timing and right now no one is bringing it better than the Giants. For that reason alone don't be overly positive about the offenses timing and fluidity.

What we need to do on offense is offset their attacks timing with play action, trick plays, screens, reverses. Changing the offense up and proving we can pass so that we can run the ball and create balance. Balance will disrupt their pressure packages and allow us fluidity. If Brad can't prove we can pass than send in Bollinger. I just hate that he'd have to come in from behind and not much practice with the first team either. Teams have to feel that we are capable of converting a 10 yard pass when necessary. Brad keeps talking about these check downs but everyone in that vicinity is covered because the opposition knows where he wants to go. He need to take some shots deep and let T.O and RW make a play on the ball, jump balls if necessary. If we create some pass interference calls it helps.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
khiladi;2383567 said:

That's the one thing about this offense that nobody is talking about. Johnson will do better with more practice reps and more time. What he needs most is not even up to him, and that is more time to work. That's up to the combination of two things: better OL play and better play-calling by Garrett.

You just know the Giants will man-up on our WR so that they can stack the line to stop the run. And their plan will be to over-stack the line to pressure Johnson and stop Barber. So if the OL can hold the point of attack, then I hope to see a ton of screens and play-action passes called from Garrett. With our WRs, I'm fully confident they can beat the single coverage because the Giants simply could not stop a healthy T.O. last season, and he's still healthy, with an added and capable WR opposite him (Roy Williams) to boot.

Now the Giants may play off to account for the WR threat, and if they do then it is still up to the OL to open up those running lanes for Barber. Last season they not only did that when the Giants don’t bring an extended rush, they also gave the QB all day to throw. If they can finally do that for brad Johnson, I think come Monday everyone will have forgotten his first two games and talk about him like he is a hero. Hopefully we'll be doing hte same for Garrett too.

Timing is everything, and practicing with the starting offense for three weeks straight breeds timing. Food for thought!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2383863 said:
Yes.

This game just doesn't have a good vibe to me at all.

do I get to call you Doubting Thomas if we win? ;)

wait, didn't you star in that movie w/ Diane Lane, I think it was called UnFAITHFUL! lol

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Brad Johnson's starting.

We have very little hope of winning. We're probably going to lose badly. What little hope we have lies in maybe getting a couple of returns for TD, because our offense certainly isn't going to score much.

alancdc

Reaction score
Not surprised because that is teh NFL. I love us being the underdog, and not the favorite. Total reverse from all 3 games last year. I do think we can win, but we certainly can't go 80 yards consistently so we will need some turnovers and great returns. Go Cowboys!

Big D

Reaction score
I will not be surprised in fact, if the team plays the same way that they did vs the bucs then the giants are in big trouble. The strength of the giants is their passrush which wont mean much because we're not planning on airing it out with BJ at the helm. We can run all over them if we stick to it and if defense comes out the same way they might add a td or 2.

Hubbs

Reaction score
Well, honestly, yes, I'd be pretty damn surprised. Brad Johnson isn't good enough to beat the upper-tier teams in the league. He can squeak by average teams half the time (and, yes, I believe Tampa is average), but he simply isn't going to lead the offense on enough scoring drives to keep up with the Giants.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Yes. I will be surprised if we win. It's not impossible. Our defensive must play to their pedigree, and the offense must establish a running game.

Someone mentioned they thought we would choke on the Bucs' final drive last week. I did too. We did not. That was HUGE. Not only did we not choke on the final drive, it never really seemed like we were on the verge of choking.

They were moving the ball, but they were harried all over the place to do so. The closer to the redzone the Bucs got, the MORE confident I was. Haven't felt like that in a long, long time and I can't explain why.