Wimbley, Lawson or Carpenter...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ddh33 said:
If you saw Ware at the senior bowl, there was little doubt that he was a great college football player. He was a force.

I would feel less nervous is Lawson had made the same impression at the senior bowl. I thought Wimbley was better there.

I don't think anyone can definitively say who will be successful or who won't, but you have to be delusional to not see some of the ponential risks.

couldnt agree more...I saw Lawson make one play in SR Bowl...Ware had a great showing at the Senior Bowl and even lined up at both DE and OLB

Lawson is a boom or bust pick IMO

David

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Carpenter is definitely more proven playing in space but looking at the clips, I think Wimbley is the the best pass rusher of the bunch. I just love how he goes right at the OT rather than just do the old run around the tackle and not to take away anything from Carpenter. I'd be happy with any of them.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
yeah, but that isnt the sole reason he got drafted in the first rd...I didnt read any socuting reports on Ware that said "he looks like a 3rd rd pick on film"

Ware was a better player than Lawson

David
You haven't read that about Lawson either. Lawson looks incredible on tape. Ware and Lawson had identical stats in college.

Woods

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I also worry about that...I like him but dont love him, especially with the 18th pick...watching the film clips on doesnt overwhelm me, especially when factoring in his incredible workout times...then when you also look at how skinny he is, to me there is cause for concern

if we have a choice of the 3 at 18, I'd take either Wimbley or Carpenter over Lawson...I'd lean towards Wimbley over Carpenter as well, but would be happy with either

David

Why Wimbley over Carpenter?

Pass rushing skills?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
You haven't read that about Lawson either. Lawson looks incredible on tape. Ware and Lawson had identical stats in college.

:rolleyes:

It's sad I even have to post this cuz you should of known it would be coming...

Ware was THE ONLY Defensive linemen at his school and was THE ONE that got gameplanned every week.

Who do you think got gameplanned when teams faced NCST? Maybe the one that saw the double and triple teams?

Hint: Lawson isn't the one that faced the double and triple teams.

Hint2: The guy that faced the double and triple teams will be drafted before Lawson.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
:rolleyes:

It's sad I even have to post this cuz you should of known it would be coming...

Ware was THE ONLY Defensive linemen at his school and was THE ONE that got gameplanned every week.

Who do you think got gameplanned when teams faced NCST? Maybe the one that saw the double and triple teams?

Hint: Lawson isn't the one that faced the double and triple teams.

Hint2: The guy that faced the double and triple teams will be drafted before Lawson.
Lawson = played next to a potential top 5 pick.

Carpenter = played next to a potential top 5 pick.

Talk about being blinded by your own biases. :rolleyes:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Lawson = played next to a potential top 5 pick.

Carpenter = played next to a potential top 5 pick.

Talk about being blinded by your own biases. :rolleyes:

It's nice to be able to oversimplify things when it suits your agenda, huh?

So when Carpenter put his hand on the ground in nickel situations, the OL was gameplanning against Hawk?

Plus, you were comparing Ware to Lawson. It's nice to be able to just switch around your comparisons to suit your agenga, huh?

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
I don't think we would be disappointed in any of the three gys mentioned , but I would tend to lean towards Carpenter, as he has the pedigree and appears to be more of a complete player in terms of playing in space and rushing the passer.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
It's nice to be able to oversimplify things when it suits your agenda, huh?

So when Carpenter put his hand on the ground in nickel situations, the OL was gameplanning against Hawk?

Plus, you were comparing Ware to Lawson. It's nice to be able to just switch around your comparisons to suit your agenga, huh?
Oh, that's just ridiculous. Compare Carp's stats on the limited times he put his hand down to Lawson's. Would you do that please?

And my point was that the "he played next to a great player" argument isn't necessarily dispositive.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Oh, that's just ridiculous. Compare Carp's stats on the limited times he put his hand down to Lawson's. Would you do that please?

And my point was that the "he played next to a great player" argument isn't necessarily dispositive.

What?! You really want me to do that and make you look even DUMBER?

And I see you continue to avoid the Ware comparison now. Not surprised.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
What?! You really want me to do that and make you look even DUMBER?

And I see you continue to avoid the Ware comparison now. Not surprised.
I see you're having trouble reading.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Woods said:
Why Wimbley over Carpenter?

Pass rushing skills?

Its very close IMO...I've seen more of Wimbley than Carpenter because I live in SEC/ACC country but I really like both

I do think Wimbley has more upside, but Carpenter initially might be the better player...I think Wimbley does have more potential to dominate games because of his pass rush ability, but I love Carpenter's all around game too

like I said I'll be happy with either, but I think Wimbley will go a little earlier than Carpenter, whether its to us or someone else

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt said:

actually I did read it, I will find it and post it...it said "Lawson grades out like a 3rd rd player, but will be drafted much earlier due to physical skill and workouts"

and Ware and Lawson might have had identical stats, doesnt mean both were similar players...Ware was a better player...was in college, and will be down the road...

David

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
actually I did read it, I will find it and post it...it said "Lawson grades out like a 3rd rd player, but will be drafted much earlier due to physical skill and workouts"

and Ware and Lawson might have had identical stats, doesnt mean both were similar players...Ware was a better player...was in college, and will be down the road...

David
I'm sure I can find you a link to someone who wrote that Ware should be a 3rd rounder. My point was, and I should have probably added the actually language but I thought it was apparent, no credible analyst has Lawson rated as a 3rd rounder.

Also, I'm still waiting on that article that said that we released Allen because he didn't fit out type of line and not because of his paycheck.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt said:
I'm sure I can find you a link to someone who wrote that Ware should be a 3rd rounder. My point was, and I should have probably added the actually language but I thought it was apparent, no credible analyst has Lawson rated as a 3rd rounder.

Also, I'm still waiting on that article that said that we released Allen because he didn't fit out type of line and not because of his paycheck.

you said "you didnt read that about Lawson either" and I said I did read it somewhere...doesnt eman I think the person was credible...but it was there

I actually had forgot about the Allen thing...but I never said the article said he was released only because of "not fitting the scheme"...it was actually a quote by Jones that said that they released him because of money and the fact the wanted OL to be able to move more and play in space, which werent Allen's strengths anymore...and I said that in the post

in regards to Ware and Lawson, on draft day last yr it came out that one team actually had Ware rated in their top 5 (Werder)...almost everyone said he was the best pass rusher in the draft and he went 11th overall to us....I'll bet we dont hear anything of that sort about Lawson, nor do I think he'll go as high as Ware did

David

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
you said "you didnt read that about Lawson either" and I said I did read it somewhere...doesnt eman I think the person was credible...but it was there

I actually had forgot about the Allen thing...but I never said the article said he was released only because of "not fitting the scheme"...it was actually a quote by Jones that said that they released him because of money and the fact the wanted OL to be able to move more and play in space, which werent Allen's strengths anymore...and I said that in the post

in regards to Ware and Lawson, on draft day last yr it came out that one team actually had Ware rated in their top 5 (Werder)...almost everyone said he was the best pass rusher in the draft and he went 11th overall to us....I'll bet we dont hear anything of that sort about Lawson, nor do I think he'll go as high as Ware did

David
That is why I said, "I should have added..."

Of course he's not going as high as Ware. I wouldn't want him too since we're picking at 18. I'm not saying he's as good or better than Ware, but the similarities are striking.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt said:
Of course he's not going as high as Ware. I wouldn't want him too since we're picking at 18. I'm not saying he's as good or better than Ware, but the similarities are striking.

and I am not saying I wouldnt take Lawson, just that I think I would take Wimbley or Carpenter over Lawson where we are picking at...Lawson may turn into another Jason Taylor (a player he is compared to alot) and I think everyone would agree that would be a great value...however I am concerned about the skinny arms and legs and the possibility he'd be a huge liability vs the run, even mroeso than Ware was early in the season last yr

ultimately if we end up with Lawson, I'll hope he pans out jsut like every other player we draft

David

DBoys

Reaction score
Lawson scares me cause of run support and his build.

Give me Carpenter or trade down.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DBoys said:
Lawson scares me cause of run support and his build.

Give me Carpenter or trade down.
Lawson's fine at run support. Most of the criticism that's been laid at him regarding his lack of run support ability is oriented around him playing DE. As an OLB in the 3-4 he's fine at run support. If he played LB in college you would have seen evidence of this. He's great at taking on blockers for an OLB, but is a bit small for a DE. His run-stopping ability in space is just fine.