Wimbley, Lawson or Carpenter...

Silverstar

Reaction score
Vintage said:
Carpenter doesn't impress you.

IIRC (though I am drunk), everything he did at the combine, he did while not 100%.

And he still posted good numbers.

Well, 20 bench reps doesn't give me more confidence in his ability to stop the run or take on tackles.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Silverstar said:
Well, 20 bench reps doesn't give me more confidence in his ability to stop the run or take on tackles.

He showed on the field that he could do it.

Again, workout numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt. Blair Thomas had superior workout numbers to Emmitt Smith....

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Pretty good turnout. Carpenter in a landslide. I wonder if we had done the same on Ware and Merriman last year how it would have turned out.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
Pretty good turnout. Carpenter in a landslide. I wonder if we had done the same on Ware and Merriman last year how it would have turned out.

FWIW, I wanted Ware last year.

I was happy.

I wanted Barnes in round two. I wasn't happy with Burnett.

Take with a grain of salt, of course. I was happy with the Canty and Ratliff picks. Beriault was so-so. Barber, I liked. Didn't really know much about Pettiti other than he ended Freeney's streak.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
Strange that just a few days ago the same poll had the opposite result (Manny dominated). Could be that the poll is hardly representative.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
theogt said:
Strange that just a few days ago the same poll had the opposite result (Manny dominated). Could be that the poll is hardly representative.
What were the results I missed voting in it. Was it just linebackers?

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
theogt said:

Maybe bec. you voted 1000 times and cleared your cookies.

Or that, or people finally understood why Carpenter is a better fit for SOLB than Manny is.

J-DOG

Reaction score
I like them in this order...
Lawson
Wimbley
Carpenter
Simple reason is that Lawson has more speed.
He also has the frame to add more weight and muscle.
I guess they all have the ability to do that but Lawson's upside is bigger.
Wimbley is a good pass rusher.
Carpenter MAY be the more complete player at this point but when you draft a player you have to project a player's ability to improve down the road.
I see Lawson's speed as the trump card.
Plus there really is not that big of a difference between the 3 players right now.
I know we all have our favorite's but in my mind with the players so close in talent,character etc.. I take the player with the most speed.
Plus with Burnett and Singleton you don't have to rush Lawson into the lineup right away anyway.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Carpenter MAY be the more complete player at this point but when you draft a player you have to project a player's ability to improve down the road.

What makes you think Carpenter can't also get better down the road? Just cuz he's better suited to play NOW, doesn't mean he won't get better as he goes.

Carpenter's ability to rush the passer AND stop the run, plus his instincts are the trump card for me.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Rack said:
What makes you think Carpenter can't also get better down the road? Just cuz he's better suited to play NOW, doesn't mean he won't get better as he goes.

Carpenter's ability to rush the passer AND stop the run, plus his instincts are the trump card for me.
I think Carpenter is solid in all areas but Lawson has something you can't teach. Speed.
I just think Lawson has the ability to special.
I like all three and because of Carpenter's blood lines(Trump card) he may be the selection.
But there is a reason Wimbley and Lawson are projected to go before Carpenter.
If you want the dyanmic pass rusher you get Wimbley.
If you want the "freakish athletic ability" you get Lawson.
If you want the solid overall guy you get Carpenter.
These guys are projected for the future and I think Lawson has bigger upside in my opinion.

Grizz

Blogging The Boys
Reaction score
theogt said:
I'm sure I can find you a link to someone who wrote that Ware should be a 3rd rounder. My point was, and I should have probably added the actually language but I thought it was apparent, no credible analyst has Lawson rated as a 3rd rounder.
Actually Mike Mayock on the ESPN Draft Special said he didn't think Lawson was a 1st rounder, that when he watched him on tape he graded him out as a 3rd rounder.

So now it depends on if you think Mike Mayock is credible.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Natedawg44 said:
I wonder if we had done the same on Ware and Merriman last year how it would have turned out.
We did. If I remember correctly, the vote was pretty even.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Vintage said:
Carpenter doesn't impress you.

IIRC (though I am drunk), everything he did at the combine, he did while not 100%.

And he still posted good numbers.
Carpenter didn't do anything at the combine.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Grizz said:
Actually Mike Mayock on the ESPN Draft Special said he didn't think Lawson was a 1st rounder, that when he watched him on tape he graded him out as a 3rd rounder.

So now it depends on if you think Mike Mayock is credible.

thanks for the info Grizz...I knew I had seen it somewhere, but couldnt recall where

David

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
thanks for the info Grizz...I knew I had seen it somewhere, but couldnt recall where

David

I remember Mayock saying he thought Lawson would go in the 2nd round.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
J-DOG said:
If you want the dyanmic pass rusher you get Wimbley.
If you want the "freakish athletic ability" you get Lawson.
If you want the solid overall guy you get Carpenter.
That sums it up right there.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score

CowboysFan07

Reaction score
I used to be on the Lawson bandwagon. I still really like Lawson and wouldn't complain in the least if we took him. I also like Wimbley and think he could really help out this team as well. However, it is my opinion(and the opinion of many other people) that Carpenter is the most ready to play OLB in the 34 and I honestly believe he will help us out the most this year. Could the other two help us out more down the road, definitely,but if Carpenter can help us out the most this year, the year for our probable SB run, why not take him? I respect Carpenter's instincts more, and I like the fact that hes played this position his whole college career. He might not have Lawson's freak abilities, but Carpenter is still a bada**, and I believe he is the perfect bookend to Ware, because we have to do more than rush the passer every play.