Wimbley, Lawson or Carpenter...

DBoys

Reaction score
theogt said:
Lawson's fine at run support. Most of the criticism that's been laid at him regarding his lack of run support ability is oriented around him playing DE. As an OLB in the 3-4 he's fine at run support. If he played LB in college you would have seen evidence of this. He's great at taking on blockers for an OLB, but is a bit small for a DE. His run-stopping ability in space is just fine.

I like what Vela said about him best. He is a chance I am not willing to take. To me Carp is the best of the bunch that is what my gut tells me.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DBoys said:
I like what Vela said about him best. He is a chance I am not willing to take. To me Carp is the best of the bunch that is what my gut tells me.
This is a good point. He has a slightly bigger question mark, but he has a slightly bigger upside. It just depends on what kind of person you are. Both choices are perfect defensible. I personally think he's a much better pass-rusher than Carpenter and love the potential.

DBoys

Reaction score
theogt said:
This is a good point. He has a slightly bigger question mark, but he has a slightly bigger upside. It just depends on what kind of person you are. Both choices are perfect defensible. I personally think he's a much better pass-rusher than Carpenter and love the potential.

Very true. He does remind me of Ware but Ware has a bigger frame. I want the Boys to get the best player and if that is Lawson so be it. I am in limbo with the talent this year I will not be surprised if we trade out of the first.

I trust BP and Ireland.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DBoys said:
Very true. He does remind me of Ware but Ware has a bigger frame. I want the Boys to get the best player and if that is Lawson so be it. I am in limbo with the talent this year I will not be surprised if we trade out of the first.

I trust BP and Ireland.
Well, I hope we AT LEAST get one of the three. I'll be kind of disappointed if we trade out of the first round and miss out on all three of them. Burnett kind of scares me and Al isn't really suited for the LOLB position. If we did however trade down and got a good OT, OG, FS, and OLB out of it, that would be great. I'm not sure we can trade down and get guys that can have an immediate impact though like Lawson, Kam, or Carp.

Woods

Reaction score
theogt said:
Well, I hope we AT LEAST get one of the three. I'll be kind of disappointed if we trade out of the first round and miss out on all three of them. Burnett kind of scares me and Al isn't really suited for the LOLB position. If we did however trade down and got a good OT, OG, FS, and OLB out of it, that would be great. I'm not sure we can trade down and get guys that can have an immediate impact though like Lawson, Kam, or Carp.

Some of these draft gurus have Pars Haralson and Thomas Howard rated pretty highly as well though (in terms of ability to play OLB in a 3-4 defense). Not rated as highly as our top 3, of course, but basically as low 1st rounders or high 2nd rounders.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
theogt said:
Lawson's fine at run support. Most of the criticism that's been laid at him regarding his lack of run support ability is oriented around him playing DE. As an OLB in the 3-4 he's fine at run support. If he played LB in college you would have seen evidence of this. He's great at taking on blockers for an OLB, but is a bit small for a DE. His run-stopping ability in space is just fine.
You said "if he played LB in college, you would have seen evidence of this."

Meaning, he hasn't played LB in college.

So how do you know he is great at taking on blockers for an OLB?

See, when I say things about Carpenter, its bec. Carpenter actually played OLB and DE in situations.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Woods said:
Some of these draft gurus have Pars Haralson and Thomas Howard rated pretty highly as well though (in terms of ability to play OLB in a 3-4 defense). Not rated as highly as our top 3, of course, but basically as low 1st rounders or high 2nd rounders.
True. If we trade down and get one of those guys, then it means that Ireland had them rated pretty high. I think I'd still be skeptical and disappointed, though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Vintage said:
You said "if he played LB in college, you would have seen evidence of this."

Meaning, he hasn't played LB in college.

So how do you know he is great at taking on blockers for an OLB?

See, when I say things about Carpenter, its bec. Carpenter actually played OLB and DE in situations.
Easy answer. Watch his tackling in space.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
As an OLB in the 3-4 he's fine at run support.

I must have missed the X amount of games that he played OLB in a 3-4 for you, or anyone, to make that assumption.

If he played LB in college you would have seen evidence of this.

He did play LB in college. His own coach said he didn't have the intincts to play LB so they moved him to DE.

He's great at taking on blockers for an OLB

Wow. It's amazing how far you're reaching these days (aka lying) just to try and win a debate.

You don't KNOW how he is at taking on blockers as a OLB. How the hell can you know he is or would be great at it?

His run-stopping ability in space is just fine

Again, how do you know this?

Easy answer. Watch his tackling in space.

:lmao2:

burmafrd

Reaction score
I had not heard that his own coach ran him down- that has not been mentioned anywhere I have read anything about Lawson.
He did play OLB during his freshman and sophomore year- then was switched to DE.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack, I swear you have to be one of the densest people I've ever seen. It's no wonder that you've been banned from other forums.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I voted for CArpenter because the other two guys are gambles to transition to LB...however, I don't want a LB with our first pick.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I had not heard that his own coach ran him down- that has not been mentioned anywhere I have read anything about Lawson.
He did play OLB during his freshman and sophomore year- then was switched to DE.

1. I've posted that article 2 or 3 times.

2. he didn't say it in a way to "run him down". He said it in a way that "Lawson is better suited as a DE then a OLB".

Do a search for "Lawson Instincts" (not in this forum cuz it's been moved by now) and you'll find it.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
theogt said:
Rack, I swear you have to be one of the densest people I've ever seen. It's no wonder that you've been banned from other forums.

I agree with Rack.

And I have never been banned.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:

It's funny reading that from you, easily the "densest" person at this forum.

And I've been banned from ONE forum, and I'm no longer banned from there. Not that that information was in any way relevant. You're just trying to build credibility by attacking mine. It's ok, I have confidence that the posters here can see through your BS and KNOW that you haven't got a freakin' clue.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ware's coaches said the same thing about him struggling as a LB, so they switched him to DE. Ware and Lawson are both poor fits at LB in a 4-3(college or pro), and could get away with playing DE in a 4-3 in college despite their lack of bulk; but are perfect size for a OLB in the 3-4.

Ware wasn't that impressive in the Senior Bowl, but he had very good practices the week leading up to the game. So did Lawson and Wimbley.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Ware's coaches said the same thing about him struggling as a LB, so they switched him to DE. Ware and Lawson are both poor fits at LB in a 4-3(college or pro), and could get away with playing DE in a 4-3 in college despite their lack of bulk; but are perfect size for a OLB in the 3-4.

Ware wasn't that impressive in the Senior Bowl, but he had very good practices the week leading up to the game. So did Lawson and Wimbley.

No they didn't. They didn't mention a thing about his instincts. They said he struggled in coverage.

Either way, doesn't change the fact that Lawson will be a WOLB in the 3-4, and we already have one of those.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I'd have to take Wimbley at this point. Lawson has "boom or bust" written all over him and Carpenter just doesn't impress me physically enough. Greenway is still a possibility to me as well, after having a solid Pro Day workout last month. I know that measurables don't tell tell the whole story, but it does show how athletic a player could be with the pads on. Any of these players could do the job for us, but I'd rather have the strongest over the fastest for the SOLB position.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10829

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=11431

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=9973

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10392

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Silverstar said:
I'd have to take Wimbley at this point. Lawson has "boom or bust" written all over him and Carpenter just doesn't impress me physically enough. Greenway is still a possibility to me as well, after having a solid Pro Day workout last month. I know that measurables don't tell tell the whole story, but it does show how athletic a player could be with the pads on. Any of these players could do the job for us, but I'd rather have the strongest over the fastest for the SOLB position.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10829

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=11431

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=9973

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10392

Carpenter doesn't impress you.

IIRC (though I am drunk), everything he did at the combine, he did while not 100%.

And he still posted good numbers.