Win two playoff games or else

Dre11

Reaction score
What people say they’d do and what they think Jerry will do are two different things. I feel like I’ve consistently seen people say they think Jerry keeps JG if he makes the playoffs, but that they personally think the bar to say should be higher than that such as a NFC championship game appearance. So I don’t think the bar is changing, there are just several bars that get mentioned.

the bar has been changing, because as soon as he crosses one they set another. People here had him fired before the first Eagles game.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
So Garrett wins 1 playoff game in 8 years and you say he should get a pass..................meanwhile.......
McCarthy over 13 seasons, wins 10 playoff games, and wins the SB as well...........and gets fired.
I guess the Packers have higher standards than you do.

Agreed,
Its insane.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed,
Its insane.
Can't compare the GB situation to DAL because there's not another like DAL except CIN. And GB isn't owned by one man.

But the major difference is that the franchise that takes 20% of the cap in GB is at odds with his HC and the Magic Johnson rule applies, stars must be happy. It's not quite fair because there are others that failed to build that team around the franchise. But the HC usually falls on his sword and he won't be only one of two this season to do so.

Garrett has taken his team from a 3-5 hole to 7-5 and if he wins Sunday is pretty much in control of the East, why would Booger even consider firing him?

But let me ask a couple of questions and keep in mind I am not a Garrettkeet. What has Garrett done behind the scenes with the Cowboys to improve the team? What's his involvement with McClay? Who brought Richard in? Who started the Amari trade in motion? How influential has he been with the draft picks? We are so busy blaming the man, we do not stop to see what we should be giving him credit for and I do believe he's been influential in all of those things. Why? Because he has Booger's ear. Probably the most important thing Garrett learned from Parcells was to keep Booger from his knee jerks and tendencies.

Is it possible that is the "process"? The gradual, and there is no other way with Booger, gaining trust so that he will pause before acting. Consider that his HC has the same motivation that he does, to get him a ring. Booger sees Garrett as family and I believe that he feels the same way. That puts him on the same side of the desk with Booger. Booger feels Garrett has his best interests at heart and he respects his thinking.

I am not defending Garrett, all I am saying is that maybe we should consider his effect behind the scenes and at the same time that we could easily be in a worse place with a HC. That phrase I've seen so many times "anyone would be better than Garrett", does anyone really believe that?

jsb357

Reaction score
Win two playoff games or else

Batman1980

Reaction score
Can't compare the GB situation to DAL because there's not another like DAL except CIN. And GB isn't owned by one man.

But the major difference is that the franchise that takes 20% of the cap in GB is at odds with his HC and the Magic Johnson rule applies, stars must be happy. It's not quite fair because there are others that failed to build that team around the franchise. But the HC usually falls on his sword and he won't be only one of two this season to do so.

Garrett has taken his team from a 3-5 hole to 7-5 and if he wins Sunday is pretty much in control of the East, why would Booger even consider firing him?

But let me ask a couple of questions and keep in mind I am not a Garrettkeet. What has Garrett done behind the scenes with the Cowboys to improve the team? What's his involvement with McClay? Who brought Richard in? Who started the Amari trade in motion? How influential has he been with the draft picks? We are so busy blaming the man, we do not stop to see what we should be giving him credit for and I do believe he's been influential in all of those things. Why? Because he has Booger's ear. Probably the most important thing Garrett learned from Parcells was to keep Booger from his knee jerks and tendencies.

Is it possible that is the "process"? The gradual, and there is no other way with Booger, gaining trust so that he will pause before acting. Consider that his HC has the same motivation that he does, to get him a ring. Booger sees Garrett as family and I believe that he feels the same way. That puts him on the same side of the desk with Booger. Booger feels Garrett has his best interests at heart and he respects his thinking.

I am not defending Garrett, all I am saying is that maybe we should consider his effect behind the scenes and at the same time that we could easily be in a worse place with a HC. That phrase I've seen so many times "anyone would be better than Garrett", does anyone really believe that?

I don't think *anyone* would be better than Garrett but I have a pipe dream of someone who would be better. Someone capable of hiring and firing their own staff, having an offense that wasn't designed in the 90s and with better game management skills.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The voice of reason. It is easy to throw the baby out with the bath water. Not sure where the ship sails from here, but let's hope it keeps sailing and doesn't capsize.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great stuff Coach. Good questions. I certainly hope the answers to these q’s are in large part why Garrett is still here.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Where's the cop out, you can't be any clearer...lol
Everybody has a bar when it comes to determining what they call success. You said there isn't one when asked what yours is. That sounds like a cop out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep. And why I call him a Walk Around GM.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great stuff Coach. Good questions. I certainly hope the answers to these q’s are in large part why Garrett is still here.
It’s a big part of it.

Watch. If we finally do it with Garrett and He gets more credit, then Jerry will fire him. Lol

But seriously Garrett is the perfect puppet for Jerry. He influences Jerry enough to go against his instincts as Parcells said was necessary , prevents total collapses thru distractions while building a better culture and not threatening Jerry’s ego.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been talent dependent since Jimmy left except for a few years with Bill.

The more talent we have the more success. Garrett along with Will in 2011 is when we begun seeing better decisions made.

Has Garrett had game day gaffs and a learning curve on the field? Of course. We saw Sean Peyton make some pretty poor decisions last Thursday nite. It happens.

Game Day mgmt isn’t Garrett’s greatest asset to Cowboys Football. Would we like a greater HC ? Yes. But are we ready to turn Jerry loose again without a HC who will influence him? And have his ear like Coach said so well.

And can we depend on Jerry to set his ego aside for a greater HC? No

It would be one thing if we had collapsed. And this cumulative 8 year rhetoric is only a narrative.

Garrett’s tenure is a tale of two different eras. With Romo and post Romo. He’s basically had to retool two different teams. And this team might be shaping up to be the better one if our QB can continue rising up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Firing Garrett would be the logical solution if not for Jerry’s ways. But Garrett looks like the best crutch we’ve seen for Jerry.

I’m a fan with basically little hope with Jerry this era . But Garrett provides me the only hope I’ve had from what I’ve seen the last 20 years except for a brief time with Bill.

Because with an owner and GM like Jerry we need a team builder . And IMO we’ve only had 3 under Jerry. Jimmy, Bill and Jason. Jason just isn’t as good of Game Day coach as the other 2.

Dre11

Reaction score
Everybody has a bar when it comes to determining what they call success. You said there isn't one when asked what yours is. That sounds like a cop out.

I don't have one for Garrett as I said, clear as day.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Coaches are hired to make and win in the playoffs. Garrett doesn’t do either consistently. Based on Jerry’s comments this year, I agree Garrett needs to do something pretty drastic to save his job.

Here’s hoping he does!

Dre11

Reaction score
Do you have one for the team? Or any of the players? If so what is it?

No I don't, I like to let the season play out. You try and set bars and expectations and your season is ruined if they aren't met.