Win two playoff games or else

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the Cowboys were a publicly traded company like the Packers, we the fans would have some say as share holders. Clearly the Packers share holders were not satisfied with only 1 SB win during the McCarthy/Aaron reign. Out of curiosity I wonder if the Saints, Steelers, Seahawks were publicly traded companies if their share holders would be happy with 1 SB win during the Payton/Brees, Tomlin/Ben, Carrol/Wilson era's respectively. I suspect they would all be happy as long as the seats were full, paraphernalia was being sold etc and money was flowing in. Honestly, I'm thinking the only share holders who would be totally happy would be the Patriot share holders. Also curious if we the people would be happy with a lone SB win in 9 years. I think not. Why? Because we're Cowboy fans and we are different ;)
And I don’t think his firing was about only one championship during his tenure it was more about this season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"Elite" was never mentioned.

I'm not crowning anyone either. I'm just not lowering my expectations so that someone can somehow make the cut. It's all right in front of this team. And this coach. Go win the game on Sunday and leave no doubt. Either you can, or you can't. It's as simple as that.
No, you didn’t but Jerry basically did. He raised the bar with his words.

I’ve lowered my expectations because of Jerry’s agendas not Garrett’s coaching ability which he's a product of our dysfunctional organization.

Jerrys lowered the bar here, not me. I’m just calling it like I see and feel it.

Hey, I’m excited we might be on to something but I know better than to expect it this era. This team still has some weaknesses and the Egirls have made a run themselves to place in position. This was the team everyone picked to win the division , not us.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, you didn’t but Jerry basically did. He raised the bar with his words.

"Basically did", but not actually did. Sounds much like when he "basically extended Prescott without actually tending Prescott.

I’ve lowered my expectations because of Jerry’s agendas not Garrett’s coaching ability which he's a product of our dysfunctional organization.

Keep saying it, maybe someone will believe it. Doubtful, but you go right ahead and keep at it!

Jerrys lowered the bar here, not me.

A minute ago, he raised it.

I’m just calling it like I see and feel it.

That's clear, but credit to you for admitting that.

Hey, I’m excited we might be on to something but I know better than to expect it this era. This team still has some weaknesses and the Egirls have made a run themselves to place in position. This was the team everyone picked to win the division , not us.

I don't see expectations as asking too much. Otherwise, you're lowering the bar far too much.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m as excited as any Cowboys fan about this recent turnaround/4 game winning streak. Let’s hope it becomes an eventual 11 game winning streak that includes a Lombardi.

If I’m the GM of this thing, Coach Garrett has had 8 seasons in charge, he has had a big say in the groceries and how they are cooked and been shown enormous patience to learn how to be a head coach. He has been given multiple combinations of coordinators and coaches...If Garrett doesn’t take this team to two playoff wins this year, he should be fired.

If after 8 seasons, we still don’t have an NFC championship, what are we waiting for Garrett to do? How much more time does he need to become the coach Jerry has shown more patience with than any coach in the nearly 30 years he’s owned the team?

It’s win now or it’s goodbye Garrett....right? Or is the naked emperor going to make Garrett Marvin Lewis, Jr?

I agree ....... but I also fire the GM

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
8 is an arbitrary number you have pulled out of the sky for the number of seasons you will tolerate before drawing a line in the sand. Why 8? why not 9, 10? I was there at 7 seasons, just wondering what made you more patient?
Actually, 8 is just the number of seasons JG has been HC. I didn’t arbitrarily pick that number. If I was in charge, Garrett would have been fired last year or perhaps 2015. Most organizations in the NFL don’t tolerate mediocrity. The number of seasons for the organizations winning SBs is 4-5 for a head coach to win...or else.

So if you think I’m “pulling a number out of the sky”, you’re wrong. If you think I have high expectations for my favorite football team you would be right.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re really setting yourself up for disappointment, if you think anything less than going to the NFC championship will get Garrett fired. You’re probably right in that *should* be the threshold, but it’s not. In a season where we cut our leading WR (and did not replace him until week 6 or so with Cooper), Witten retired (did not replace at all) and got 0 games from Travis Fredrick, the bar just wont be that high.

While I think the offense was woefully under productive prior to getting Cooper, I don’t think anything better than 8-8 or 9-7 was realistic. And we were likely going to fall short of that, but now because of Cooper, we’ll likely exceed that mark. But going to New Orleans or Los Angeles and expecting an upset, won’t decide Garrett’s fate.

The glass half full answer to most here, is we’d likely have to at least win in the first round AND be competitive in round 2 for Garrett to be safe. And that likely sets up 2019 to be his final season. Which depending on what coaches are available for us, I may be fine with. Ideally I would like Josh McDaniels, but after the Colts thing, I really don’t know about him. I wouldn’t mind Kris Richard to be honest, and Matt LeFleur as the o coordinator, but he’s already in that post in Tennessee. Not sure who the next great offensive mind is, but if we can identify that guy, I would prefer them over the status quo
No actually I’m not setting myself up for disappointment. I’m just setting a high bar of expectations. I’ve been a fan of this team for over 50 years so experiencing disappointment is a long ago experience.

Plus my current biggest disappointment with this team is the acceptance of mediocrity and the “we’ll win next year” attitude of this team’s owner and HC. If this team is good, why shouldn’t we expect good results? If a coach has had 8 years to produce, why shouldn’t we expect more than one playoff win?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
I'm not necessarily advocating for Garrett here, but what happens if we can him and subsequently hire a worse HC? This is a real possibility. Hiring a new HC does not mean we are guaranteed to get better results, and we may get worse.

Define worse. Like Dave Campo and Coslet worse?

This current HC has had his time. But, I believe he has done enough to keep his job with these past 4 weeks. If he continues this. Well, my sig stays on for another season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"Basically did", but not actually did. Sounds much like when he "basically extended Prescott without actually tending Prescott.

Keep saying it, maybe someone will believe it. Doubtful, but you go right ahead and keep at it!

A minute ago, he raised it.

That's clear, but credit to you for admitting that.

I don't see expectations as asking too much. Otherwise, you're lowering the bar far too much.
Your wanting to dissect individual thoughts not taking the entire thought in.

I base my expectations on previous history not what I think or want us to be.

Jerrys ways have lowered the bar this era regardless whether he’s trying to raise it after the Saints game which like I suggested is mere promotional rhetoric.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No actually I’m not setting myself up for disappointment. I’m just setting a high bar of expectations. I’ve been a fan of this team for over 50 years so experiencing disappointment is a long ago experience.

Plus my current biggest disappointment with this team is the acceptance of mediocrity and the “we’ll win next year” attitude of this team’s owner and HC. If this team is good, why shouldn’t we expect good results? If a coach has had 8 years to produce, why shouldn’t we expect more than one playoff win?
I’m ok with most of that Bob. But here’s my problem.

Explain why Jerry has stayed with Garrett? That answer better defines our dilemma.

Putting this all on Garrett doesn’t tell the whole story . It just releases frustration with the core issue because it’s a hopless scenario. Once you accept that scenario then your expectations are changed.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
No actually I’m not setting myself up for disappointment. I’m just setting a high bar of expectations.

When you don’t have any control over decisions, procedures or results, then it seems to me, that setting a high bar of expectations is setting yourself up for disappointment. Sure, you don’t have to like the results from the last 22 years or so. And I’m not even saying you should ignore that and support Garrett. Be vocal in your belief as well.

I’m just pointing out, that Garrett will probably be safe if he wins in the wild card round. If not, it likely means Jerry is in danger of losing Richards and wants to promote him before that happens

Also, diehardblues worded his response much better than I probably am. When you have no control, expectations should be based off history. Not what we want to happen.

Last edited:

slomoxn

Reaction score
The wagons have been circling Garrett for years but there’s only one wagon that counts.

I’d argue thus far I have a better grasp and sense on Jerry’s pulse and our dysfunctional organization.

Continuing to call for Garrett’s firing is a false hope by fans however accurate or just it is. We will need to find another way to win without a greater HC. And look for support to maximize Garrett’s assets.

The more talent Garrett has the more success he has.
So basically to win a superbowl he is going to need top 5 picks at every position and they are all going to have to play to their potential. Otherwise he and Linehan will find a way to coach them out of victory.

slomoxn

Reaction score
8 is an arbitrary number you have pulled out of the sky for the number of seasons you will tolerate before drawing a line in the sand. Why 8? why not 9, 10? I was there at 7 seasons, just wondering what made you more patient?
I think they are just using where we are at, most of us were done at 7, some at 6, I was done after the last playoff loss. I realized he is not the person to get them over the top. He can take you to the dance but he should be a wallflower when he gets there; unless you want him stepping on your feet while trying to waltz.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m ok with most of that Bob. But here’s my problem.

Explain why Jerry has stayed with Garrett? That answer better defines our dilemma.

Putting this all on Garrett doesn’t tell the whole story . It just releases frustration with the core issue because it’s a hopless scenario. Once you accept that scenario then your expectations are changed.
Greggo, each fan can have their own expectations. Why is it important for all fans to believe the same version of this team’s problems, expectations and dysfunction?

You know very well that I’m fully aware that this is probably the most dysfunctional organization in pro sports. I get it. Jerry is an idiot. I know. But this is my opinion. I think this team is good enough to have a deep playoff run. If they don’t do it...AGAIN...then I believe Garrett should be held accountable.

No one has to agree with me. I’ve been wrong a million times before, so I don’t form opinions based on how they look to others. It’s just my opinion. Yours is different. Cool. I’m not trying to talk you out of yours. I like that you express your opinions and I sometimes agree with them. You’re one of the best Cowboys fans I know brother. But I don’t accept that this team is always going to suck because of the idiot in charge. Maybe I’m crazy, lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your wanting to dissect individual thoughts not taking the entire thought in.

Just pointing out clear contradictions.

I base my expectations on previous history not what I think or want us to be.

Jerrys ways have lowered the bar this era regardless whether he’s trying to raise it after the Saints game which like I suggested is mere promotional rhetoric.

You base your expectations to where one man can't win - Jerry Jones - while another - Jason Garrett - can't lose. That's clear as day.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greggo, each fan can have their own expectations. Why is it important for all fans to believe the same version of this team’s problems, expectations and dysfunction?

You know very well that I’m fully aware that this is probably the most dysfunctional organization in pro sports. I get it. Jerry is an idiot. I know. But this is my opinion. I think this team is good enough to have a deep playoff run. If they don’t do it...AGAIN...then I believe Garrett should be held accountable.

No one has to agree with me. I’ve been wrong a million times before, so I don’t form opinions based on how they look to others. It’s just my opinion. Yours is different. Cool. I’m not trying to talk you out of yours. I like that express your opinions and I sometimes agree with them. You’re one of the best Cowboys fans I know brother. But I don’t accept that this team is always going to suck because of the idiot in charge. Maybe I’m crazy, lol.
Your not crazy. And your heart is in the right place. One of my favorites here as I value your thoughts.

But there are consequences or at least accountability for our opinions. Much like we have with Jerry if he continues to be wrong.

We don’t have to accept we’re always going to suck but we do have to realize that his style places us at a disadvantage or handicap and hindrance as I’ve often expressed which doesn’t allow us a greater or more normal front office and coaching staff situation.

Expecting our dysfunctional organization to be held to the same standards as others is bizarre IMO. And why I’ll continue to call it out and question the motive and basis.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your not crazy. And your heart is in the right place. One of my favorites here as I value your thoughts.

But there are consequences or at least accountability for our opinions. Much like we have with Jerry if he continues to be wrong.

We don’t have to accept we’re always going to suck but we do have to realize that his style places us at a disadvantage or handicap and hindrance as I’ve often expressed which doesn’t allow us a greater or more normal front office and coaching staff situation.

Expecting our dysfunctional organization to be held to the same standards as others is bizarre IMO. And why I’ll continue to call it out and question the motive and basis.
Yes, I agree that Jerry’s hubris puts us behind the 8 ball. You know that I can’t stand the way Jerry runs this thing. He’s an organizational idiot and is consistently the biggest obstacle this team has to overcome year after year. He makes winning more difficult than it should be. I get it.

But my opinion remains. Garrett should be fired if this team doesn’thave a deep playoff run.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just pointing out clear contradictions.

You base your expectations to where one man can't win - Jerry Jones - while another - Jason Garrett - can't lose. That's clear as day.
Not contradictions if you fully understand my thought.

I have often called out Garrett and have agreed we need greater coaching.

Jerry receives a pass by many for his early success. Garrett can lose. And will eventually. But I don’t hold him as accountable in our dysfunctional situation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, I agree that Jerry’s hubris puts us behind the 8 ball. You know that I can’t stand the way Jerry runs this thing. He’s an organizational idiot and is consistently the biggest obstacle this team has to overcome year after year. He makes winning more difficult than it should be. I get it.

But my opinion remains. Garrett should be fired if this team doesn’thave a deep playoff run.
Yes, and he’s why Garrett is here and remains to be here. My point is we are targeting the wrong bulls-eye.

If Garrett is the core reason we are not having more success why doesn’t the Football Idiot see what millions of fans see?

Or is there a bigger agenda at play here. Just saying..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not contradictions if you fully understand my thought.

I have often called out Garrett and have agreed we need greater coaching.

Jerry receives a pass by many for his early success. Garrett can lose. And will eventually. But I don’t hold him as accountable in our dysfunctional situation.

You give him a pass at every turn. You can try to deny that all you want, but your track record is clear.

Jerry can't win, Garrett can't lose.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You give him a pass at every turn. You can try to deny that all you want, but your track record is clear.

Jerry can't win, Garrett can't lose.
Jerry can win. And if he does has placed himself in position to take credit with a lesser HC like Garrett.

I give Garrett a pass only because of our dysfunctional situation. And I truly believe he’s the best puppet we could hope for with Jerry. Best I’ve seen so far anyway.