Wink Martindale "in the mix" for defensive coordinator

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Wink put in some impressive defensive games during the year. NY at Buffalo comes to mind.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'm okay with winky. he runs a blitz happy defense and that can limit many QB's. It's also fun. You got to have the right personnel though.
IMO, teams that excessively blitz are usually compromising their defense. Most of the bad defenses rely on it to generate pressure. It’s more about disguising then blitz than anything.

75boyz

Reaction score
Wink had an internal spat with Daboll. Wink agreed to a "mutual parting of ways" (aka being fired) giving up 3 million in the process.

Prior to NYG, Wink's departure from the Ravens was seen as an internal problem that had grown although he had coached there for a number of years.

I think Wink's not getting a HC gig has weighed on him to the point of not being able to deal with upper management authority. Doesn't work well with others per se.

And for me personally I have no clue what he is trying to accomplish with those 2 man defensive line fronts he uses. Especially for this team, a defense notoriously weak against the run. His run defenses were worse.

I'd recommend a hard pass on Wink.

jmo

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I mean it’s what happens when your DC gets hired as Head Coach after everybody else has filled all of their spots.

If this happened at the beginning of the hiring cycle we likely have different candidates
CZ members crapping on the choice even before it happens.

75boyz

Reaction score
I recommend bigblueinteractive.com to get a basic play by play informational summary of the falling out between Wink and his last employer.

bigblueview.com does some indepth coverage of the situation as well.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
Rather have Rivera or Zimmer than Wink.. but certainly not loving any of them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it really matter?
They all seem the same to me at this point.
Find a new upcoming DC. If MM is then gone, the new HC will need to accept him as his DC. This type of stuff has happened before.

Just waiting on the entertainment when announced.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Its 60+ years old a requirement for the job? Sure seems like it with the batch of candidates I keep seeing mentioned....

XXLMike

Reaction score
He’s a blitz, happy azz clown in the mold of Rob Ryan.

Hard pass

CWR

Reaction score
Care to link it or show me where? I’m curious
I just Google his name and hit news. I saw SI reporting it as well. Whether or not they are simply regurgitating nonsense is beyond me.

blueblood70

Reaction score
ugh... quit recycling these old coaches
you mean retreads the coaching carousel that pretty much happens is 75% of the teams around the NFL including the NFC East... Is that what you're telling me that there seems to be a different way fans look at this when it's our team but the entire NFL it's just passing around coaches for a very long time show me the NFC East you telling me that the Washington commanders the Eagles and everyone else somehow have done things differently you think Kellen Moore kliff Kingsbury Dan Quinn Joe wit and yes they had wink martindale as well,, I hate to break it to you but there are very little new fresh blood being brought into the NFL probably 25% and it's not always a blueprint for success... Can we stop the double standards already literally this is how the NFL works this is not a Jerry Jones issue this is how it works there's a pool of coaches and most of them are retreads...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Its 60+ years old a requirement for the job? Sure seems like it with the batch of candidates I keep seeing mentioned....
you mean retreads the coaching carousel that pretty much happens is 75% of the teams around the NFL including the NFC East... Is that what you're telling me that there seems to be a different way fans look at this when it's our team but the entire NFL it's just passing around coaches for a very long time show me the NFC East you telling me that the Washington commanders the Eagles and everyone else somehow have done things differently you think Kellen Moore kliff Kingsbury Dan Quinn Joe wit and yes they had wink martindale as well,, I hate to break it to you but there are very little new fresh blood being brought into the NFL probably 25% and it's not always a blueprint for success... Can we stop the double standards already literally this is how the NFL works this is not a Jerry Jones issue this is how it works there's a pool of coaches and most of them are retreads...

Just because they're up in age doesn't make them bad they literally are not running marathons they're coaching football.... So no not necessarily want someone over 60 but there are very few coaches to pick from especially Dan Quinn hung on to the bitter end until there was one job opening left before he was given the I got picked last in the playground thing by the Washington whatever their name will be next year... Just saying I mean you want some young coach we had that and Kellen Moore we could bring over just some dude if you want him but I think with this one year window that we're gonna have with Prescott McCarthy possibly we don't know what direction we're going in you might as well bring in a veteran...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
why would he leave KC to come here for a one-year job? He's got a good job where he's at.

these idiots think jerry is going to move them up to HC after next season. wow, just wow.
There was a reference to Steve Spagnuolo...

2023:
Steve Spagnuolo: KC DC
Wink Martindale: NYG DC