Wink Martindale "in the mix" for defensive coordinator

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anyone else starting to get a little tired of all this "who are we going to hire as DC?" conversation?

Feels like it's a never ending story.
We all talking about it and Jerry gets free publicity the entire time till he gets around to hiring someone and then he gets more free publicity after he has hired someone so it is a win-win for Jerry Jones.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I just Google his name and hit news. I saw SI reporting it as well. Whether or not they are simply regurgitating nonsense is beyond me.
No worries thanks man, I did and I found nothing, the SI stuff is fish re-reporting broaddus

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He runs a similar scheme to Rob Ryan, heavy blitzing, which usually means a ton of chunk plays giving up!

MikeT22

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling we are going to screw this one up?…none of the candidates are that great……
Does it really matter?
They all seem the same to me at this point.
Find a new upcoming DC. If MM is then gone, the new HC will need to accept him as his DC. This type of stuff has happened before.
Yes, Jerry will find another yes man HC who is fine with Jerry forcing assistants on them and pulling the strings.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
All Wink does is blitz, there is no scheming against different type of offenses. It is foot on the pedal nonstop. Dallas would definitely need to get the right players.

Im sold. Blitz, blitz and more blitzing. Sacks, INTs, big plays - good and bad.The fans and media will eat it up on the big stage in JerrahWorld. Thats all this front office ultimately cares about anyway. So i'm in.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
He runs a similar scheme to Rob Ryan, heavy blitzing, which usually means a ton of chunk plays giving up!
I would almost prefer than then slowly letting the team march down the field on 8 minute, 80 yard drives. In November of this year I was a pretty big DQ fan but the last few months were bad and the GB game was one of the worst coached games I have ever seen.

Personally:
1. Wink
2. Zim
3. Riviera

With all three being disappointments. That said, no way would a hotshot young guy come here with McCarthy likely to get fired at season's end. Dallas is probably limited to retreads who don't care if they are 1 and done.

exciter

Reaction score
Anyone else starting to get a little tired of all this "who are we going to hire as DC?" conversation?

Feels like it's a never ending story.
Never ending? They’re supposed to do interviews today and tomorrow… my guess end of week!

Carson

Reaction score
I would almost prefer than then slowly letting the team march down the field on 8 minute, 80 yard drives. In November of this year I was a pretty big DQ fan but the last few months were bad and the GB game was one of the worst coached games I have ever seen.

Personally:
1. Wink
2. Zim
3. Riviera

With all three being disappointments. That said, no way would a hotshot young guy come here with McCarthy likely to get fired at season's end. Dallas is probably limited to retreads who don't care if they are 1 and done.
I believe Wink will be the easiest sell to free agents. That is why I lean his way

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Personally:
1. Wink
2. Zim
3. Riviera

In this modern game that slants all the rules towards the offense, it's all about making teams kick FG's and creating turnovers. Zimmer/Rivera are conservative, Wink is all or nothing. Pick you Choice!

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
IMO, teams that excessively blitz are usually compromising their defense. Most of the bad defenses rely on it to generate pressure. It’s more about disguising then blitz than anything.
True. But there are teams committed to it, with the cover corners capable of holding up that can actually be pretty good. Like the 85 Bears, and Buddy Ryan's defenses. But they usually got exposed in the playoffs. A defense that blitz's is effective on QB's that aren't quick thinkers.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

Out of all the candidates, Martindale seems to be the only one trying to confuse the offense and actually trying different stuff. Zimmer was very Marinelli-like scheme wise. Riviera hasn't coached defense in so long that he pre-dates youtube.

LysleE

Reaction score
I don't think either one of these guys would qualify for the "Home Run" hire that JJ has told us is going to happen. Maybe a ground rule double at best.
I agree with you…but there is no “home run” hire…just hyperbole from Jerry trying to drum up interest in the Cowboys. Jerry overestimates the allure of coaching the Dallas Cowboys in the modern era.