With each passing WR trade and free agent signing, the Amari Cooper trade becomes more absurd

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I guess I’m just worried that the Cooper decision made the offense weaker at the point where the defense is getting stronger. And worried that it might end up costing what might have been a Super Bowl level team otherwise.

It feels like the team can’t have both sides of the ball strong at the same time.
That's the way it always is. If this offense and defense could actually be great together we might be able to overcome this dysfunctional organization to get to a SB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't you know now, everything's fine since we blew the Bears out. I want to see how this offense responds with a good team.

While I was of course happy with the offensive improvement, the defense looked to have taken a step back. A weird week.

Hopefully, Dak and the offense continue to improve their performance and then I’ll complain less about giving Cooper away.
:laugh:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It literally does excuse it.

They had higher offers and would have to eat his cap. Taking his whole contract off the books means a lower pick. I don’t know why people don’t comprehend this

They could have easily kept Cooper. Rams won a Super Bowl handing out huge deals all over the place.

Giving him up for a 5th was ridiculous. Seeing what we gave up to take him on just years before.

Either keep him or eat his cap for a high pick. They picked the dumbest option available and you justify it. They set cap money aside for Gregory and he bolted. We didn't even use that money. So Cooper could easily still be here. Salary cap continues to climb every year. You can always keep the players you want.

They decided to keep a scrub WR in Gallup over a great one in Cooper. Kick Gallup to the curb and that's even more money to save for Cooper.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
I am sure contract was part of the Amari trade but I suspect they wanted Amari gone and we may never know why. But it’s pretty clear the team wanted Amari gone.

Amari did not want to take the vaccine shot. Jerry was upset when Cooper got Covid. Maybe there is more that happened but not reported, Bottom line: Dallas got taken to the cleaners since it was well known they wanted Amari gone. Not smart on Dallas part. Dallas doesn't have a #1 wide receiver on the team this year.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Jerry made it completely transparent that we were getting rid of Cooper one way or another. At that point there was no reason to give up anything of value. Jerry’s big mouth often puts us in a position of strategic disadvantage.

I agreed with resigning Gallup at the time but I wish we’d have kept Cooper and let Gallup walk at this point.

Hopefully Gallup will be better in 2023. 86 receiving yards in 4 games, one TD.

Ken

Reaction score
Amari Cooper is a top ten wide receiver. The amount of compensation Dallas received is for a wide receiver not in the top 50. SORRY but Dallas was stupid and it will cost them in the playoffs.
Money was the limiting factor.

Sorry if you don't understand that.

He is NOT a top 10 player at wr...please.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
While I was of course happy with the offensive improvement, the defense looked to have taken a step back. A weird week.

Hopefully, Dak and the offense continue to improve their performance and then I’ll complain less about giving Cooper away.
:laugh:

I'm not too worried about the defense. First off, a bunch of random stuff went on to really help Chicago. The INT called back by the roughing the passer, the fumble that should have been, a 3rd down stop that was turned into a first down on a neutral zone infraction. Overall, you reverse these 3 plays and the defense looks much better.

Outside of that Chicago beat Dallas on one play repeatedly, with two specific players involved. The option stuff at DLawrence left him grasping at air many times as Fields ran right around him. He has to clean that up but few QB's can do that. It didn't seem like a team wide issue or even a scheme problem. Chicago extended multiple drives like that.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Amari Cooper is a top ten wide receiver. The amount of compensation Dallas received is for a wide receiver not in the top 50. SORRY but Dallas was stupid and it will cost them in the playoffs.
No the hell he isnt top-10 lol

Hill
Adams
Kupp
Diggs
Jefferson
Evans
Chase
Hopkins
Allen
Samuel

Please tell me which one of these WRs he is better than?

GINeric

Reaction score
Cooper is talented, but not always reliable. He disappears in big games and most away games. Im glad he's gone. The Raiders knew something we didn't.

Ken

Reaction score
No the hell he isnt top-10 lol

Hill
Adams
Kupp
Diggs
Jefferson
Evans
Chase
Hopkins
Allen
Samuel

Please tell me which one of these WRs he is better than?
Is anyone taking him over

23 year old Jaylen Waddle?
25 year old AJ Brown, who is better than I thought.
DK Metcalf?
CD Lamb? Wasn't better than him last year and can only point to two more TDs than him this year. But Cooper has 10 Red Zone targets to Ceedee's 4.

That is about where Coop ranks, give or take a few spots.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Is anyone taking him over

23 year old Jaylen Waddle?
25 year old AJ Brown, who is better than I thought.
DK Metcalf?
CD Lamb? Wasn't better than him last year and can only point to two more TDs than him this year. But Cooper has 10 Red Zone targets to Ceedee's 4.

That is about where Coop ranks, give or take a few spots.

JACOBYBRISSETT
i

• HT/WT
    6' 4", 235 lbs
  • BIRTHDATE
    12/11/1992 (29)
  • COLLEGE
    NC State
  • DRAFT INFO
    2016: Rd 3, Pk 91 (NE)
  • STATUS
    Active

_sturt_

Reaction score
Outside of that Chicago beat Dallas on one play repeatedly, with two specific players involved. The option stuff at DLawrence left him grasping at air many times as Fields ran right around him. He has to clean that up but few QB's can do that. It didn't seem like a team wide issue or even a scheme problem. Chicago extended multiple drives like that.

Yep. The numbers say the Bears didn't do any better (or worse) against our run defense than their previous opponents... and, if we can just be average against the run, have to like our chances. Where we were burned was, as suggested here, specifically the QB's running... not others. I think we get that resolved well ahead of Christmas Eve. Just a persuasion that our DC knows what he's doing.

Sydla

Reaction score
Money was the limiting factor.

Sorry if you don't understand that.

He is NOT a top 10 player at wr...please.

You overstate money being the limiting factor. His contract could be restructured, which Cleveland did.

Two, AJ Brown was vocal about wanting 100 million. The Titans made it known they weren’t going to go there. Everyone knew they had to trade him. Everyone knew if they acquired him they would have to pay out the *** with a new contract.

And yet the comp Tennessee got despite the fact for all intents and purposes Brown was carrying a massive contract was significantly better than what we got. No, we shouldn’t have gotten a first and third. But a 5th was just bad value.

Trying to argue otherwise is kind of funny at this point.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Sounds like they sold his contract instead of actually trading him. You sell a players contract there's like an unwritten rule in the NFL...nothing higher than a fourth will be given for that type of deal. So a 5th does make sense now.

In other words they were just being cheap. Who would they not been able to keep by keeping Amari's contract this year?

_sturt_

Reaction score

If I can't cut it in my current job, stand-up comedian is next on the list. (Not that far from retirement, though, so feeling good about avoiding that.)

But more seriously, no, for the same reason you'll pay more for a generic NBA borderline All-Star if you get his age 26, 27 and 28 seasons instead of his age 29, 30 and 31 seasons... and for the same reason you'll pay more for that same player if you obtain control of 5 years, and pay less for just 3 years of control... and... for the same reason prices just ahead of the start of free agency to create cap space are different than prices during draft week... and... given the similarity of Amari's Raiders production and AJ's Titans production, one could make the argument that the Eagles adding a 3rd was an overpay...

Then... respectfully disagree... it's a completely rational conclusion to believe the compensation DAL got from CLE was the more level-headed package in return. Mind you, I'm not asserting it was satisfying. It wasn't. But given all of the factors in play (and not just selected ones) and trying to pull off my DC cap for a moment and look at it as objectively as one can, it made sense... though, sure, a 4th would have felt so much better.

Last edited:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
In other words they were just being cheap. Who would they not been able to keep by keeping Amari's contract this year?
I think it was more about Jerry just being upset and petty. The playoff loss pissed him off and he just went after every player that had rubbed him the wrong way that year.

Ken

Reaction score
You overstate money being the limiting factor. His contract could be restructured, which Cleveland did.

Two, AJ Brown was vocal about wanting 100 million. The Titans made it known they weren’t going to go there. Everyone knew they had to trade him. Everyone knew if they acquired him they would have to pay out the *** with a new contract.

And yet the comp Tennessee got despite the fact for all intents and purposes Brown was carrying a massive contract was significantly better than what we got. No, we shouldn’t have gotten a first and third. But a 5th was just bad value.

25 years old no rep for taking games and practices off.

I really don't get why this is hard to understand?

Yes, they restructured Amari but the money didn't disappear. They will have to either pay him next year or kick the can down the road. Do you really think the cowboys couldn't have done that? They built the contract with that intention, the passed bc he wasn't worth it.

This is not hard.