With each passing WR trade and free agent signing, the Amari Cooper trade becomes more absurd

Redline360

Reaction score
One of the dumbest trades we have done. Got housed.

100000% Cooper made comments about Dak or JJ or both and JJ got all butt hurt and insta gone. Was not about the contract at all.

Could have done numerous things to keep him here.

Probably made comments about not being focused or being open. Warner and others broke down several games where Coop was wide open or 1 on 1 agaisnt cb2s on certain plays and didn't even get looked at and we went with a check down pass. Long story short the videos were about how other teams make recievers top priorities and will force the ball to them

Sydla

Reaction score
Trading Cooper wasn’t the problem.

Trading him for peanuts when we see what other WRs got traded for was the issue. Jerry rarely wins trades. He typically overpays and undersells.

Verdict

Reaction score
No argument there. I think the Cowboys could have kept him if they really wanted to, but from a straight value perspective I dont think the results from this trade deadline make the Cooper deal look bad.
I can see both sides of the argument. But I suspect Amari and the team went really sideways at some point. I think that it was over Dak, but that is mostly speculation on my part.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We also wouldn’t be looking to trade for Cooks at the deadline
You really believe the Cowboys wanted Cooks? Jerrah got are fans on lock.:facepalm: The Cowboys were not gonna give up draft capital for him and they did not want his salary. Don’t be gullible. The Cowboys believe they have wide outs in Tolbert/Brown/Washington. They believe Tyron is coming back in a month. If some how the offense needs another, they will look at OBJ in December.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Trading Cooper wasn’t the problem.

True. Regret to say that b/c I was an Amari fan and didn't want to see it happen. But the math sometimes forces one's hand in the hard capped NFL.

Trading him for peanuts when we see what other WRs got traded for was the issue.

I'd have to see the comparable... I'm not aware of a WR of Amari's caliber owed that amount of money on his contract who fetched something noticeably better in trade. But feel free to educate me, I don't mind being schooled.

The Texans got more than we did [for Hopkins], that’s for sure.

Right. But. Did you bother to give any study to how the financial guarantees compared? That comment seems to suggest some study is warranted, and might just change your mind once you stare at it long enough...

https://overthecap.com/player/deandre-hopkins/2208

.... then...

https://overthecap.com/player/amari-cooper/3852

(Especially encourage soaking up the specifics outlined in the "Contract Notes" sections.)

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys have adopted a specific philosophy that will greatly benefit them in the long run. They are not going to sacrifice value to improve a present situation because it detriments the future.

Ther Jones's are holding on to some money in order to add it to salary caps in the next couple of seasons so they can retain their best players like Lamb, Diggs, and Parsons. The players you wanted to trade for might have meant saying goodbye to the players that are contributing now and in the future.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It literally does excuse it.

They had higher offers and would have to eat his cap. Taking his whole contract off the books means a lower pick. I don’t know why people don’t comprehend this

Well excuses are created because this was a monumental blunder. You don't send Cooper off with only a 5th round compensation. Then to make matters worst they didn't find a capable replacement for him. All that money is wasted and we are in a bind in needed a WR. It just shows how dumb Capboy and Jerry really are.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The Cowboys have adopted a specific philosophy that will greatly benefit them in the long run. They are not going to sacrifice value to improve a present situation because it detriments the future.

Ther Jones's are holding on to some money in order to add it to salary caps in the next couple of seasons so they can retain their best players like Lamb, Diggs, and Parsons. The players you wanted to trade for might have meant saying goodbye to the players that are contributing now and in the future.

It seems they are satisfied with the status quo. They are focused on winning a superbowl. They are focuses on signing outrageous contracts like what Zeke, Jaylen Smith and Dak got.

If they had taken care of Dak contract much earlier he wouldn't have the leverage to get that contract signed. The FO deserve what they got and the fans are suffering because of it.

Sydla

Reaction score
True. Regret to say that b/c I was an Amari fan and didn't want to see it happen. But the math sometimes forces one's hand in the hard capped NFL.

I'd have to see the comparable... I'm not aware of a WR of Amari's caliber owed that amount of money on his contract who fetched something noticeably better in trade. But feel free to educate me, I don't mind being schooled.

Right. But. Did you bother to give any study to how the financial guarantees compared? That comment seems to suggest some study is warranted, and might just change your mind once you stare at it long enough...

https://overthecap.com/player/deandre-hopkins/2208

.... then...

https://overthecap.com/player/amari-cooper/3852

(Especially encourage soaking up the specifics outlined in the "Contract Notes" sections.)

AJ Brown.

Philly got him for a 1st and I think 4th rounder.

Brown wanted a new contract in Tennessee and Tennessee basically came out and said they weren't willing to pay Brown what he wanted. So they were somewhat boxed in given they wouldn't give Brown a contract he wanted and would like have to trade him.

And Philly still had to pay a premium in picks AND then hand over a $100 million dollar, 4 year contract.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
One of the dumbest trades we have done. Got housed.

100000% Cooper made comments about Dak or JJ or both and JJ got all butt hurt and insta gone. Was not about the contract at all.

Could have done numerous things to keep him here.

Probably made comments about not being focused or being open. Warner and others broke down several games where Coop was wide open or 1 on 1 agaisnt cb2s on certain plays and didn't even get looked at and we went with a check down pass. Long story short the videos were about how other teams make recievers top priorities and will force the ball to them
You think if Micah Parsons said something about Jerry he'd trade him? You can't believe that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The problem with people trying to figure out what we should've got for Amari is knowing what caliber of a player he is. Nobody knows. Especially if you are comparing what AJ Brown, Hollywood, Davonte and Tyreke got traded for. They are not of the same caliber. Especially when you factor in his contract.