With each passing WR trade and free agent signing, the Amari Cooper trade becomes more absurd

mcmvp

Reaction score
JJ is constantly being spoken about as a great businessman. He probably is in the outside world. But he does not do very well getting appropriate value in trades as an NFL GM.

He just talks too much to be an effective GM. He gets in his own way.

ShortRound

Reaction score
My theory is we need a strong OC to push their ideas thru. Just like Quinn has been able to influence personnel and the defensive game plan. Kellen is just Jerrys puppet.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Why people still insist on defending this ridiculous move is beyond my comprehension. The Jones boys let their emotions get the best of them and they made a foolish move, that they tried to correct at the trade deadline. If Cooper is on the roster, the offense is in better shape.

They looked great against the Bears. If they can keep it up, the Jones boys get their redemption, but as of now, it was the worst trade I've seen Dallas make since Joey Galloway.

Last edited:

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
You really believe the Cowboys wanted Cooks? Jerrah got are fans on lock.:facepalm: The Cowboys were not gonna give up draft capital for him and they did not want his salary. Don’t be gullible. The Cowboys believe they have wide outs in Tolbert/Brown/Washington. They believe Tyron is coming back in a month. If some how the offense needs another, they will look at OBJ in December.
I do not believe the FO looking into a Cooks trade was conspiracy

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
So the answer is NO then?

Chiefs get five draft picks (1st Round in 2022, 2nd Round in 2022, 4th Round in 2022, 4th Round in 2023, 6th Round in 2023).

The Raiders are sending their first two picks in the 2022 NFL Draft to the Packers in exchange for Davante Adams

Both of whom then got paid salaries that FAR EXCEEDED Amari Cooper’s contract.

So the Jones boys look like IDIOTS no matter how you slice it.

Though those guys are considerably better than Amari, I agree. No way Amari should have been let go for a 5th.

Big_D

Reaction score
It’s hilarious people still crying about this clown. When you’re a number 1 WR who just put up 800 yards. The guy was up for grabs and only 1 team was willing to eat the contract and send a pick.

CWR

Reaction score
Why people still insist on defending this ridiculous move is beyond my comprehension. The Jones boys let their emotions get the best of them and they made a foolish move, that they tried to correct at the trade deadline. If Cooper is on the roster, the offense is in better shape.

They looked great against the Bears. If they can keep it up, the Jones boys get their redemption, but as of now, it was the worst trade I've seen Dallas make since Joey Galloway.

Don't forget Roy Williams WR. That one was pretty trash.

CWR

Reaction score
It’s hilarious people still crying about this clown. When you’re a number 1 WR who just put up 800 yards. The guy was up for grabs and only 1 team was willing to eat the contract and send a pick.

They are "crying" about the compensation.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It’s our Achilles Heel since the Jerry Days. Leave it up to Dallas to screw up a WR trade. Both directions. I blame Michael Irvin. Jerry has been looking for his next #88 Leader for 30 years now. Give it up dude, Only one Michael Irvin.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Don't forget Roy Williams WR. That one was pretty trash.
It was bad, for sure. I just think trading Cooper for peanuts was worse. The Roy Williams trade at the time made some sense, it just didn't pan out.

Reactions: CWR

Cmac

Reaction score
If the team fails.......there is always Zeke to lean on......or blame Dak. This team and board is always infamous for placing blame in the wrong places. That's why the mess gets recycled.

_sturt_

Reaction score
AJ Brown.

Philly got him for a 1st and I think 4th rounder.

Brown wanted a new contract in Tennessee and Tennessee basically came out and said they weren't willing to pay Brown what he wanted. So they were somewhat boxed in given they wouldn't give Brown a contract he wanted and would like have to trade him.

And Philly still had to pay a premium in picks AND then hand over a $100 million dollar, 4 year contract.

Fair answer. And actually, it was a 3rd, not a 4th that PHI gave up.

So what explains the difference in return in trade?

Is it, as has been suggested, that Stephen, Jerry and Will were simply not judicious/discerning/intelligent enough to realize they could have gotten more?

There appears to be no other options than that one.

So, if you (universal you, talking to all readers of this post) are content with that explanation, then this is where you probably should disengage and move on to another post... wish you well, and see you in another thread some time. Bye.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Okay, now that those folks have moved on, here are a few thoughts for the rest... ie, those who aren't that prone to persuasion that the difference is explained by competence.

First, the thing that "cannot not" be dismissed is simply that us on the outside are never privy to conversations on the inside... no hidden cams or mics. We cannot know with any good faith and confidence what offers were on the table for Amari besides the Browns' offer. What we should be able to assume, at least those of us who believe in self-interest as a natural motivator, is that the Browns' offer was the best offer on the table at that time in March.

And related to that same idea.... we "cannot not" admit that we could have known who else might have been willing to make a better deal for Amari during draft week in late April, ie when the Eagles/Titans deal for Brown was made.

Second, was it that DAL FO accepted too little? Or, is the real story that the PHI FO was over-eager and paid too much? How does one make an objective assessment?

Obviously, the first go-to is to look at their 2022 stats so far. Incredibly similar. 39 catches each, 5 TDs each, AJ with about 100 more yards, though having played 7 games to Amari's 8 at this point. Regardless, both on track to have 1000 yards, and a season that will get strong Pro Bowl (or whatever we're playing this time) consideration.

Advantage: Eagles

Even if we say a 1st and a 3rd is a bit much (recalling that Amari only cost a 1st, and that the regard for both was within the same ballpark after 3 seasons)... it feels more right to say the greater miscalculation was to accept just a 5th rounder and a 6th round pick flip worth ~10 slots for Amari.

So is that to say then that the Cowboys' FO was just too headstrong, and if there wasn't a team willing to strike a better deal, they should have adapted and held on to Amari at least another month? Because that seems to be what that suggests.

No.

Here are things that get lost, and left out of the calculation... each is compelling on its own, but when you put them all together, they represent substantially compelling reason to make the March deal, and not wait to see if something better came along...

1. Their free agency pursuits were established, and freeing up some money was immediately important.

2. It's no secret that Amari's 2021 decisions that led to availability issues frustrated the owner, and he's not been bashful to say he believed his $20m players had to show a greater team-first attitude than the rest, that that comes with the territory. Right or wrong, the assessment had been made that Amari was the kind of receiver who gets stats but can't be relied upon at critical times.

And here's what really gets lost, in my estimation...

3. Amari's new team would control him for 3 seasons... ie, and importantly, his age 28, 29, and 30 seasons.

A.J.'s new team would control him for 5 seasons... ie, importantly, his age 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29 seasons.

Thus, the scales of trade justice re-center significantly from where I sit.

- PHI was/is getting those age 25-27 prime years... that CLE was/is not.

- PHI was/is getting two seasons' worth of additional production that CLE is not.

Bottom line... it makes sense that PHI would pay appreciably more than DAL even if we just take #3 into account.

But when one also accounts for the context of #1 and #2... it eliminates the question of competence. It was a rational decision given all of the factors that came into play.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
It seems they are satisfied with the status quo. They are focused on winning a superbowl. They are focuses on signing outrageous contracts like what Zeke, Jaylen Smith and Dak got.

If they had taken care of Dak contract much earlier he wouldn't have the leverage to get that contract signed. The FO deserve what they got and the fans are suffering because of it.
That is the truth of it. We, as Cowboys fans, are handicapped with incompetent management. In all fairness, they should have extended Dak after his 3rd season. However, Jerry's ego got the best of him and he had to prove what a savvy negotiator he is. Sadly, he failed.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
That is the truth of it. We, as Cowboys fans, are handicapped with incompetent management. In all fairness, they should have extended Dak after his 3rd season. However, Jerry's ego got the best of him and he had to prove what a savvy negotiator he is. Sadly, he failed.

He should have also extended Pollard when he had the chance. Now we might lose him to Free Agency. Can you imagine him leaving with a big fat contract from the Eagles?

This FO thinks they are smart. But everyone know they are fools for the games they play with the fans. Unfortunately, the day will never come when they finally hire a qualified GM.

plasticman

Reaction score
He should have also extended Pollard when he had the chance. Now we might lose him to Free Agency. Can you imagine him leaving with a big fat contract from the Eagles?

This FO thinks they are smart. But everyone know they are fools for the games they play with the fans. Unfortunately, the day will never come when they finally hire a qualified GM.
Perhaps most will disagree but I'm still angry over losing DeMarco Murray. Together with the offensive line, they had the magic recipe. After breaking Emmitt's single season record, he was misused by the Eagles, had a few good years with the Titans before Henry took over.

The running game in 2014 had a positive effect on the entire team. It was the only time Romo was ranked #1 in passer rating. He was also an excellent blocking back. he would have kept Romo healthy and prevented the Cowboys from drafting a RB #4 overall in 2016.

By the way, Demarco ran for over 1200 yards and had over 1600 yards from scrimmage in 2016 for the Titans, Zeke's rookie season. They both made the Pro Bowl that season.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Perhaps most will disagree but I'm still angry over losing DeMarco Murray. Together with the offensive line, they had the magic recipe. After breaking Emmitt's single season record, he was misused by the Eagles, had a few good years with the Titans before Henry took over.

The running game in 2014 had a positive effect on the entire team. It was the only time Romo was ranked #1 in passer rating. He was also an excellent blocking back. he would have kept Romo healthy and prevented the Cowboys from drafting a RB #4 overall in 2016.

By the way, Demarco ran for over 1200 yards and had over 1600 yards from scrimmage in 2016 for the Titans, Zeke's rookie season. They both made the Pro Bowl that season.

No your right. I was pissed too when they played hardball with De Marco and made it as if anyone "can run behind this oline." Next year we were gifted with Joseph Randle and that turned out to be a mess.

We had the winning formula 2014 and the Cowboys felt that paying Demarco was too much of of a hassle.

They finally realized their mistake and has to waste the #4 overall pick on Zeke. We could have had Ramsey and Henry instead. But yeah, our FO, they think their smart. But even a Ox it seems, is smarter.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Not only did they give away Cooper, they bet on Gallup fully recovering from an ACL and handed him a sizable deal. Gallup has been a shell of himself this season, and now Noah Brown is your WR2.

Only the Jones boys could turn a top 5 WR room into a bottom 5 room in a single off-season.

I would say I’m shocked but this is the same braintrust that decided not to pay Demarco Murray only to turn around a year later and spend a top 5 draft choice on a RB, and then hand that RB an absurd extension with 2 years remaining on his rookie deal.