With each passing WR trade and free agent signing, the Amari Cooper trade becomes more absurd

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
It literally does excuse it.

They had higher offers and would have to eat his cap. Taking his whole contract off the books means a lower pick. I don’t know why people don’t comprehend this
What’s wrong with keeping him and his solid production? They’ll pay a gimpy Gallup but not an unvaccinated Cooper. Jerry is a fricking idiot.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not talking "can."

I'm talking conventional wisdom and likelihood... which is what one would likely employ more than "can" in making a trade. "Can" is too broad. "Likely" is the reasonable standard.

Also, the point made was partly about prime years... while also highlighting number of years of control.

Popular take. Easy conclusion. That's for sure.

Hard to find fans that aren't up for considering their wisdom greater than the front office.

Supportable?

We'd have to actually walk through that list and go one by one, looking at all the factors involved, and seeking out comparables... and most of us just don't have time, so most will just foreclose to the idea that they're smarter than the front office anyhow.

Reality is each trade is the outcome of a somewhat unique combination of factors, not all of which are necessarily related to the talent in the trade...

Again, in this case, it's not just about Amari's productivity/stats, but about the free agency plans, and the conclusion that the player himself had brought upon himself some question marks about his reliability.

Again, don’t miss my point. I am not arguing that we should have kept Cooper. I understood why they decided to move on and I can’t kill them for it.

But they boxed themselves in and had little choice to unload him for low return. It’s kind of bizarre people actually think we did well/OK in that trade.

Strykerscm

Reaction score
So the answer is NO then?

Chiefs get five draft picks (1st Round in 2022, 2nd Round in 2022, 4th Round in 2022, 4th Round in 2023, 6th Round in 2023).

The Raiders are sending their first two picks in the 2022 NFL Draft to the Packers in exchange for Davante Adams

Both of whom then got paid salaries that FAR EXCEEDED Amari Cooper’s contract.

So the Jones boys look like IDIOTS no matter how you slice it.

That is nasty to read. Talk about getting fleeced.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Feel free to do a Google search. Unless of course you want to remain willfully ignorant.

Having the intellectual humility to acknowledge I could be wrong, I took your instruction because God knows I don't want to "remain willfully ignorant."

Turns out.... oh, the irony of that last part.

I stand by my statement.

There were rumors. There were no primary source statements.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

In a 17 game season, that's really not all that impressive. I'm not hating on Cooper, but he's behind Lamb for 2/3rds of those metrics.
Amari Cooper is 11th in receptions, 10th in yards and 7th in TDs.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Cooper became stale here. He needed a change of scenery and Dallas realized he wasn't producing enough to warrant the salary.

blueblood70

Reaction score

They had higher offers and would have to eat his cap. Taking his whole contract off the books means a lower pick. I don’t know why people don’t comprehend this
I do been saying this they had a deadline if they kept him longer they owed him more bonus, if they got better picks they had to eat more of his contract, this was at the moment , the best deal they could get. also they keep harping tat coops doing well and we could use him.. NOT FOR 22mIL on the books had we kept him, and BTW Lamb and coops number almost identical.

this is odd to me fans keep acting as if we just lost Jerry Friggen Rice.. hes a solid #1 no one was questioning his production it was his production vs contract vs the FO knew Lamb and Gallup would be enough to offset losing Coop.

Turns out, they are correct with Dak back, Lamb will continue to produce but Gallup looks to finally be back comfortable and will get better, brown is not a bad 3 and Washingtons comes in..

we do not need nor miss Coop not at that $$$$ Cap hit.. our team is 6-2 and his roster spot and his cap$ was used or will be used to stay competitive,

blueblood70

Reaction score
So the answer is NO then?

Chiefs get five draft picks (1st Round in 2022, 2nd Round in 2022, 4th Round in 2022, 4th Round in 2023, 6th Round in 2023).

The Raiders are sending their first two picks in the 2022 NFL Draft to the Packers in exchange for Davante Adams

Both of whom then got paid salaries that FAR EXCEEDED Amari Cooper’s contract.

So the Jones boys look like IDIOTS no matter how you slice it.
what looks like absurd is mentioning Adams, Hill and other elite WRs with Coop.. Pullease! hes a tier 2 starter yes hes 1 not on the same level, not close. hill changed the face and future of Miami and Tua , he was worth that, coop was our #2 stat guy in 21, Lamb was wr with the best #s. lamb and Coop have nearly identical #s right now.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Again, don’t miss my point. I am not arguing that we should have kept Cooper. I understood why they decided to move on and I can’t kill them for it.

But they boxed themselves in and had little choice to unload him for low return. It’s kind of bizarre people actually think we did well/OK in that trade.

I don't think you think we should have kept Cooper... not sure where that's coming from.

I don't know why you think they boxed themselves in... to be fair, I also don't pretend I know that they didn't... maybe they did. I'm just not privy to those conversations to know how much other teams knew first-hand about the Jerry/Stephen/Will attitude toward Cooper. I'm just more inclined to think they suspected that situation based on the self-evident DAL salary cap status going into free agency, and the options that DAL had available, put together with some reasons for suspicion that Amari angered Jerry by not getting vaxed.

I don't read every post here, so if there's someone who's suggested we did well, I might take your side. I don't feel we did well, but yeah, count me with those who would say we did about what we should have expected, knowing what I can possibly know and not knowing what I can't possibly know.

It's maybe easier to understand the value of having two additional seasons of control and three seasons of better capacity for greater success in the NBA. It's further easier to understand from an NBA context the value of making cap room just ahead of free agency. Those are dynamics that I believe came into play substantially here.

And let's not forget... Schefter broke the story saying it was likely to be a straight-up release (!). Taken at face value, that suggests the competition for Amari and his contract wasn't stiff.

So, while I don't feel we did well, that would suggest it's fairly sober actually to be happy that we got something from somebody.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
https://fansided.com/2022/03/01/stephen-jones-amari-coopers-exit/amp/

Stephen’s comments two weeks before:

https://fansided.com/2022/03/01/stephen-jones-amari-coopers-exit/amp/

You can put your head in the sand when presented with inconvenient truths but that doesn’t mean the rest of us share your willful ignorance.
If Cooper was still on the payroll, we don't have the current roster. For someone who barely flirts with the top 10 WRs in the league I'd say we're better off.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Cooper was still on the payroll, we don't have the current roster. For someone who barely flirts with the top 10 WRs in the league I'd say we're better off.

Why? What big money free agent did we sign with Cooper’s money that we wouldn’t have?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It was stupid and it sucked then, but it's water under the bridge at this point.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Amari Cooper is 11th in receptions, 10th in yards and 7th in TDs.
I'm actually kind of shocked that he's fringe top 10 in every metric with a mid-level backup throwing him the ball. If you told me last off-season he'd be on pace for almost 1200 yards and double digit touchdowns with Jacoby freaking Brissett throwing the ball I'd say your completely out of your mind

BayAreaCowboy

Reaction score

Thank you. It’s not rocket science. People act like it was a straight trade for a 5th