Without Dak this roster doesn't have a chance

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The way I look at it this team would be 1-2 no matter who the QB is. Honestly last year we probably win 10 games with any starting caliber QB. We idolize the position way too much and ultimately it comes down to all 11 players on the field executing. Just look around the league at teams with cheap QBs....a lot of them in 1st place in their divisions right now, meanwhile Dallas, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Miami, etc all have losing records early on.
Sure with a top 5 defense we could be a much better team regardless who our QB is .

But with all the weaknesses we have throughout the roster our QB provides a shot to stay in most games.

And to be fair there are currently 15 teams in NFL with 1-2 records with an opportunity to add 3 more tonight.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
You forgot to mention they have the best defense in the NFL who have been off to one of the best starts ever...
Indeed, when you pay your QB only $10,000,000 a year, you can keep that good Defense and go out to add to it. That is my whole point about why we shouldn't have paid our quarterback I'm not sure why so many don't understand this? Let alone, your poor franchise might be able to find that change under the captain's seat in his yactht to sign, oh I dunno a RB?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Indeed, when you pay your QB only $10,000,000 a year, you can keep that good Defense and go out to add to it. That is my whole point about why we shouldn't have paid our quarterback I'm not sure why so many don't understand this? Let alone, your poor franchise might be able to find that change under the captain's seat in his yactht to sign, oh I dunno a RB?
That’s a good recipe without a top QB.

But there are some top defenses who also paid their QB’s market contracts.

Better organizations figure out how to chew and walk at the same time.

gtb1943

Reaction score
But how much worse would it be without a QB of his caliber?
a loss is a loss whether it is by one or fifty
a team does not win championships with only a good QB and some other good players
and those happy with relevancy are not real fans
I would rather stink the place up in a year and get some high picks and draft real talent

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Sure with a top 5 defense we could be a much better team regardless who our QB is .

But with all the weaknesses we have throughout the roster our QB provides a shot to stay in most games.
I dont mean this as a shot against Dak, but I'd rather have the top 5 defense. If you need a top QB just in order to have a shot to stay in most games its really just a waste of time and resources. In the NFL if you allow less than 20 points you win almost every time.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
People don't understand it because it is ENTIRELY WRONG.

They have $24m in cap space right now and could easily have had more if they wanted it. They could have done anything they wanted to this offseason - instead they farted around with their two best players.

Steve007

Reaction score
I’m not a Dakster but without a running game or ability to stop the run this roster has no chance of a comeback against better teams without a QB as good as Dak.

That doesn’t mean he’s worth 60 mil , etc but he’s enough to give us a shot in some of these games we are overmatched.

We don’t have a RB, only 1 WR, a couple rookies on OL. Very bleak without an above average QB. I’d argue the weaknesses this roster has without a QB similar to Daks ability we are definitely a bottom tier team.

And we could become that regardless with these core weaknesses. But without Dak we absolutely have no shot on even sniffing 8 or 9 wins and a possible WC.
LOL.....With Dak the Cowboys have no chance of a comeback against better teams. With Daks cap hit the next few years they wont be able to get elite talent and Dak needs elite talent around him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I’m not a Dakster but without a running game or ability to stop the run this roster has no chance of a comeback against better teams without a QB as good as Dak.

That doesn’t mean he’s worth 60 mil , etc but he’s enough to give us a shot in some of these games we are overmatched.

We don’t have a RB, only 1 WR, a couple rookies on OL. Very bleak without an above average QB. I’d argue the weaknesses this roster has without a QB similar to Daks ability we are definitely a bottom tier team.

And we could become that regardless with these core weaknesses. But without Dak we absolutely have no shot on even sniffing 8 or 9 wins and a possible WC.
Would not really need a run game if Dak could put the short throws in the right spot instead of in the dirt!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I dont mean this as a shot against Dak, but I'd rather have the top 5 defense. If you need a top QB just in order to have a shot to stay in most games its really just a waste of time and resources. In the NFL if you allow less than 20 points you win almost every time.
I understand . But some franchises have figured out how to have a top 5 caliber defense and afford to pay a QB market price.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s another argument in previous seasons .

All I know is without an above average type QB like Dak this roster had no chance of a comeback yesterday.

And most likely without a running game and or rushing defense have no chance without our QB and passing game .

That doesn’t mean he’s great, etc but it is what it is. Without him we absolutely have no chance with this roster.
The Ravens are notorious for giving up 4th quarter leads. They celebrate too early but thats not a feather in our cap. I'm not so sure Lance couldnt have given the team more offense in the first 3 quarters before the game was pretty much out of reach. At least he can run when nobody is open.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
That’s a good recipe without a top QB.

But there are some top defenses who also paid their QB’s market contracts.

Better organizations figure out how to chew and walk at the same time.
The Vikes walked away from Cousins and his bloated contract, and here they are. The biggest flaw of this team has been our D, and Jerry made it impossible to improve it because of Dak's contract. This isn't an indictment of Dak; he could function on a team that has no major flaws like we do but of course our owner waited to the last second to sign his 2 big contracts of the off-season and left him no chance to fix the holes we have. If D was our only problem........

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was waiting for the boo birds and .. We Want Trey .. chants to start ......in the 1st half or so ....:muttley::popcorn:

I am not taking what happened in the last 22 minutes as a sign that all is good moving forward.
Me either. There are some fundamental issues with the team. And it’s a combination of ownership, GM, coaching and players. You just can’t win in the NFL with a weak DL and a non-existent running game. Jerry’s clueless as he said he’ll hang his hat on the 4th qtr going forward. Typical narcissistic behavior. “I like our personnel.”

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
People don't understand it because it is ENTIRELY WRONG.

They have $24m in cap space right now and could easily have had more if they wanted it. They could have done anything they wanted to this offseason - instead they farted around with their two best players.
exactly what I just wrote in another thread

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL.....With Dak the Cowboys have no chance of a comeback against better teams. With Daks cap hit the next few years they wont be able to get elite talent and Dak needs elite talent around him.

They were able to resign Lamb. And they can draft a RB, which they should have this year, and pursue more support thru draft.

Other franchises have been able to build top 5 defenses and market price QB’s

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Do you people not understand...math?

I'll say it again, they have $24m in cap space right now. They could have had it in April if they wanted, and signed anybody.

They could have signed Christian Wilkins (10.3), Calvin Ridley (10), and Derrick Henry (5.1) instead of Zeke with the cap space they currently have.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I understand . But some franchises have figured out how to have a top 5 caliber defense and afford to pay a QB market price.
Yeah thats the other part of the equation that is frustrating.....Jerry's philosophy in building out the rest of the team. Ownership is the root of the problem, but that's a problem that wont be changing anytime soon.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Vikes walked away from Cousins and his bloated contract, and here they are. The biggest flaw of this team has been our D, and Jerry made it impossible to improve it because of Dak's contract. This isn't an indictment of Dak; he could function on a team that has no major flaws like we do but of course our owner waited to the last second to sign his 2 big contracts of the off-season and left him no chance to fix the holes we have. If D was our only problem........
Jones had over 100 yards rushing with a 5.4 avg. They held the Texans to 38 yards rushing, 12 of which was by Stroud. This is a horrible comparison Redsfan.