Twitter: Witten ranked 70th among TEs in speed

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I don't think Hanna is a very good route runner. He's a bit like Randall Williams used to be in that he has speed but he doesn't really know what to do with it.

There's a video posted earlier in this thread of Witten's one-handed touchdown catch. Watch Hanna on that play because he does nothing to shake his coverage. Now, it's possible that it was just his job to draw coverage, but I think the main reason we haven't seen more of him despite the fact that he got a fairly decent multiyear contract is because he doesn't (or isn't able to) grasp the subtleties of the position.

Some people don't get that. They think it's all about speed, but most players can't just outrun other NFL starters. Witten gets position, he dinks right then goes left, he pushes with his body, he sells with his eyes and feet. And those are the reasons he's still starting. It's also what I hope Rico can learn from him. Rico was winning in the preseason primariy off his physical attributes. If he's going to develop into a starting contender, he has learn some of the savvy that Witten has.
And that's the hardest part for us not intimately familiar with the players. There is so much more to a players 40 time.

But, Witten is pretty dang slow now a days.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Jason Witten is Cowboys royalty. But all this does is underscore the fact this team needs to get younger and faster at tight end.

Now, Witten was never a guy that relied on speed, but averaging just 1.6 yards after the catch is bad news if the Cowboys are going to constantly throw him the ball short of the sticks. I think this is more an indictment on the scheme than on Witten, but the game has changed a lot since he came into the NFL.

Tight ends today have to be like beefy wide receivers. The guys like Gronk, Jimmy Graham, Travis Kelce, etc.. The Cowboys haven't had one of those guys since Jay Novacek, to be honest.
Witten was very much like Gronk, back in the day. But age catches everyone. Especially fast for professional athletes.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Did they time him with a sun dial.............come on Witten, final push to the finish line, you can do it:laugh:

sundial.jpg

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And now for the stats that actually matter:

#7 in catches among TE's
#12 in Yards
#10 in TDs

Using a stat like speed to judge a TE is combine garbage. This is football not the underwear olympics.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
And now for the stats that actually matter:

#7 in catches among TE's
#12 in Yards
#10 in TDs

Using a stat like speed to judge a TE is combine garbage. This is football not the underwear olympics.
Whine dropd are falling on their heads

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dude, first, stop the whole I'm a limey thing. It's failing. Steamy wad? What are you? 5?

The post was about Witten being a slow old man. Yes he is, and still better than 25 other starting TE's. He's old and slow and in the Pro Bowl again. It's a simple process, draft someone to be at him out. Shouldn't be too hard since he can barely walk right?
"Steamy wad" got to you, yes, loud lad?
You are a flimsy diddlestack as well. And I say that with all due respect and kindness tha I can muster, boisterous carbunkle.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score

I know I know....we all know he's slow, but this is the first time that I've come across an actual ranking. Anyways hope everyone has a great weekend! Feel free to discuss and go cowboys!

Who cares? Bottom line, the man moves the chains & is the best TE the Cowboys ever had. Which I know for some of you that can be debatable.

After 14 seasons of consistently showing up for every game and every snap. Witten missed one game during his rookie season in '03. The man just received his 11th Pro Bowl honor and is currently ranked 9th in the league among best TE's. He's no doubt another Cowboys great making the HOF.

Name me ONE tight end on that ridiculous who can run faster list with those combined stats?!

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Now, it's possible that it was just his job to draw coverage, but I think the main reason we haven't seen more of him despite the fact that he got a fairly decent multiyear contract is because he doesn't (or isn't able to) grasp the subtleties of the position.
Probably true that Hanna has limited skills. But he does have size and speed, and the limited use of him going out on routes also gives him the element of surprise. He's still a personnel mismatch. Tough draw for a LB to keep up with him downfield.

Much like Butler, Hanna could have given us something the offense desperately needed this year - a downfield threat.

But our OC prefers to have our speed TE running 3 yard routes.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tight ends today have to be like beefy wide receivers.

No player has to be anything but productive. A player needs a role. Witten has one. He gets open in the box. Most TEs don't do that. Ray Lewis says no one has ever done it like Witten. And that's not a role you need a lot of speed for.

Like you suggest, most TEs are beefy wide receivers these days. They're running routes from the slot. They're not using the box.

Witten isn't them. They aren't Witten. Neither needs to be the other.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Dude, first, stop the whole I'm a limey thing. It's failing. Steamy wad? What are you? 5?

The post was about Witten being a slow old man. Yes he is, and still better than 25 other starting TE's. He's old and slow and in the Pro Bowl again. It's a simple process, draft someone to be at him out. Shouldn't be too hard since he can barely walk right?
Gimme has carte blanche. He's a "character" on this site and it's a good one. He's also a respected individual. Probably more respected than you could believe, most likely because of the carefree and "weird" way he carries himself online. We need variety. A few outliers are good. Or maybe you dislike my laissez-faire, different style also?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Gimme has carte blanche. He's a "character" on this site and it's a good one. He's also a respected individual. Probably more respected than you could believe, most likely because of the carefree and "weird" way he carries himself online. We need variety. A few outliers are good. Or maybe you dislike my laissez-faire, different style also?
I like you Corso because if we ever met I think we could have a hella good time. But your football stuff... so so.