Women's World Cup

Ghost12

Reaction score
I agree completely. MLS is the fastest growing league in the world. If they partnered more with NWSL, I think it would grow even faster. You want to get more people into soccer regardless of their gender.

I bet in the next 20 or so years MLS will be either the largest sport in the country or the second largest.
“Fastest growing” is code for “really small.” It has its own little niche but if you really think it will be the second largest sport in the US in 20 years, you have got to be kidding.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That ispreposterously silly, Rock.
Do you have even a remote amount of free market awareness? Do you at all understand supply and demand?
WNBA should be paid the same as NBA?
:lmao:
I’m looking at from the aspect of equality. I know it’s unlikely to happen anytime soon if at all. But one thing they could do is average all the NBA salaries and calculate the % of revenues and adjust the WNBA to the same %.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I’m looking at from the aspect of equality. I know it’s unlikely to happen anytime soon if at all. But one thing they could do is average all the NBA salaries and calculate the % of revenues and adjust the WNBA to the same %.
Yes. If you mean by % of revenues, I agree that it's be nice
Now those are two different leagues and unions, but I get it.

The problem is fixed costs (stadiums, lights, etc) vs variable costs (salaries, concessions)

I'd be VERY hard for the WNBA players to get 50% of the gross revenue (like the NBA does) because fixed costs (stadiums, etc) fare still pretty high. I suspect the league would go out of business right away

Now if it's % of profits after costs, then they might have something.

Last edited:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
“Fastest growing” is code for “really small.” It has its own little niche but if you really think it will be the second largest sport in the US in 20 years, you have got to be kidding.

It's not that small. They've already reached nearly a billion in revenue and are one of the biggest leagues in the world.

They predicted that 30 years ago, still waiting.........:cool:

Not sure who predicted that "30 years" ago. MLS was established in 1993, which was 26 years ago. Certainly, don't think people were predicting that MLS would be a dominant league before it was even created.

MLS has already grown to 24 teams and will at least shoot to match other major leagues with 30+ at some point.

I think it is silly to give shade to MLS and soccer when it is decades behind the other major leagues and sports in this country.

Soccer is on the rise as people's favorite sport in this country

https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/...-rise-sport-closes-top-three-big-us-spectator

Galian Beast

Reaction score
To take things further, there has never been an America star soccer player at the level of Christian Pulisic. This Women's national team has more star power than any team that has come before it. The tide is absolutely shifting on this and if the NWSL allowed more international talent, I think these club teams would be better positioned to strive.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not that small. They've already reached nearly a billion in revenue and are one of the biggest leagues in the world.

Not sure who predicted that "30 years" ago. MLS was established in 1993, which was 26 years ago. Certainly, don't think people were predicting that MLS would be a dominant league before it was even created.

MLS has already grown to 24 teams and will at least shoot to match other major leagues with 30+ at some point.

I think it is silly to give shade to MLS and soccer when it is decades behind the other major leagues and sports in this country.

Soccer is on the rise as people's favorite sport in this country

https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/...-rise-sport-closes-top-three-big-us-spectator

Meant soccer in general, not just MLS. It has increased in popularity but no where near the levels they were predicting.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree completely. MLS is the fastest growing league in the world. If they partnered more with NWSL, I think it would grow even faster. You want to get more people into soccer regardless of their gender.

I bet in the next 20 or so years MLS will be either the largest sport in the country or the second largest.

We've been saying that in this country since the 70's. The main roadblcoks to soccer taking over in this country are

1. We suck at it - AmeriCANS don't support losers.
2. No history or tradition of it
3. Football
4. Basketball

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Meant soccer in general, not just MLS. It has increased in popularity but no where near the levels they were predicting.

They are on the heels of overtaking the NHL. It will almost certainly become the 2nd largest league in the country.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We've been saying that in this country since the 70's. The main roadblcoks to soccer taking over in this country are

1. We suck at it - AmeriCANS don't support losers.
2. No history or tradition of it
3. Football
4. Basketball

Christian Pulisic is the first true American all star soccer player. If they can build the USMNT around him, he will inspire the nation like no player before him. He is only 20, so we should have him for at least 10 more years and two world cup tournaments, maybe even 3.

Baseball used to be America's past time. Things change.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Christian Pulisic is the first true American all star soccer player. If they can build the USMNT around him, he will inspire the nation like no player before him. He is only 20, so we should have him for at least 10 more years and two world cup tournaments, maybe even 3.

Baseball used to be America's past time. Things change.

Pulisic had European citizenship which allowed him to develop in Germany as a young teen. He's not a homegrown talent.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Rousey was an anomoly. She could headline a PPV event and got paid accordingly.

What she leaves out is that she was heavily promoted to be successful. The Women's World Cup gets great ratings. The problem is the team isn't well promoted. Nike recently announced that the USWNT jersey was the best selling jersey in any year for a soccer jersey. Too bad they didn't start selling them before the World Cup... or have specific player jersey's available... or player jerseys available for specific players and in Men's sizes... These companies aren't promoting this team to their own detriment.

After 2015 Alex Morgan were stars. In 2019, Rapinoe, Morgan, Lavelle, Heath, Ertz, Dunn, are all reaching star status. If Hope Solo hadn't imploded, this team would have been even further along star-wise. Throw in Pugh who is a star in the making.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Pulisic had European citizenship which allowed him to develop in Germany as a young teen. He's not a homegrown talent.

You don't have to have european citizenship to play in europe and he was absolutely homegrown talent... Not sure what you're thinking of but he went to a soccer academy in the us.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
One of the problems with US soccer is that it is very different than other countries in terms of how young athletes are developed.

Look at football for example. You have pop warner, middle school, high school, college, NFL.

That model doesn't work for international soccer. If you haven't been recruited and developed by the time you should be in middle school and high school, it's basically too late.

It means that the US can't really use colleges which have the proper funding to develop talent, so high schools and middle schools need to do it, which they really can't afford to do. So you have private travel leagues, which are extremely expensive and reduce the pool of available kids tremendously.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

I think we're just looking at it in a different way. Yes he played at a younger age and was able to do so because of his citizenship, but he was actually developed domestically before going to europe in the first place.

Ghost12

Reaction score
They are on the heels of overtaking the NHL. It will almost certainly become the 2nd largest league in the country.
They are nowhere near overtaking the NHL in revenue, to say nothing of how far away from football, baseball and basketball they are.

I understand passion for a sport, but sometime soccer people just need to join us in the real world.