Women's World Cup

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I hope you are right. I much prefer soccer to baseball and basketball, but there just isn't enough of it on tv. It is not promoted domestically very well.

I think Pulisic will struggle on the national team stage b/c he's surrounded by players who aren't good enough to be on the same field. He'll be targeted and is already oft injured at age 20.

It's a double edged sword.

Why don't we have 4K cable channels? Because there aren't enough 4KTVs. Why aren't there enough 4KTVs? Because they used to be very expensive and the content didn't warrant it. You have to have catalysts for change. In the case of 4K, the tvs got cheaper and cheaper as are the cameras.

With soccer you need success at the USMNT level, you need the continued expansion of MLS and NWSL. You need the continued expansion of developmental academies across the country, and you really need an end to pay to play.

There is A LOT of young talent that should be in place for the 2022 World Cup. The question is whether Berhalter will focus on this youth movement rather than sticking with veteran players.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
No she was a Mixed Martial Arts fighter. She’d kick yo ***.

The big thing about Rousey and why I think it is ridiculous for her and other to suggest that she created the revenue merely on her own merit and that other Women's sports "just need to bring in more revenue" is that she was a bit of a fraud from the start.

She was heavily promoted coming from Judo to UFC. UFC WANTED her to succeed because she would make them money, something other sports leagues have been less willing to do. They promoted the hell out of her and allowed her to fight in a much lower weight class, which allowed her to dominant fighters who she was bigger than in a sport and weight class where there wasn't much talent to begin with.

She was a championship grappler, and that is how she beat these women. The second she went up against a championship quality striker, she got her butt handed to her. No other major women's sport has weight classes or the ability to duck quality competition.

erod

Reaction score
You gonna make me name all the clubs French players not just play on but star? I think its safe to say we are no threat to France. lol

I never said Pulisic was the only American playing in Europe.
I'm just saying we're finally producing a lot of legitimate young players that aren't just keepers and holding mids.

Reaction score
Most bigots will never admit they are one. They don’t have the intestinal fortitude. Weak.
you obviously are coming from a place of emotion, not logic. Those that are in dialog with you on this topic are unfortunately wasting their time.

erod

Reaction score
I agree with most of your post except in bold. They really do not get great turnout. Their attendance is consistently near the bottom of the list. Houston has the same attendance problems and because of that, both Texas MLS teams are criticized for it. They even wrote an article about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/26/mls-texas-derby-houston-dynamo-fc-dallas

I don't know why Houston has problems but I can see why for FC Dallas. Compared to our football, soccer is an urban sport. Stadiums do not take up much space, public transit is used heavily and unfortunately, there's only one way to get to Toyota Stadium and that's by car. But on other forums like reddit, people constantly complain about how far the stadium is and it catering to suburban soccer moms. You also hear people in the DFW area say marketing is extremely bad to the point that people don't even know they have a team. It also doesn't help that the entire stadium isn't shaded. Let's be real, who wants to sit on the side where the sun is shining on you in Texas in the middle of July and August?

I will agree that most younger people will choose to watch soccer over baseball and hockey nowadays. It's very close to basketball with all demographics but to Black Americans, basketball is still by far number 2 if not number 1. However, even though soccer is becoming as popular as baseball and passed hockey to claim the number 4, the MLS isn't as popular as the NHL or MLB let alone the NBA and the NFL and the revenue shows that. MLS revenue is getting closer to a billion though.
This has become lower, I agree. Too aggressive with pricing in my opinion.

But this is happening with sports in general.

Tampa, Jacksonville, and Miami NFL games are ghost towns.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
you obviously are coming from a place of emotion, not logic. Those that are in dialog with you on this topic are unfortunately wasting their time.
No, I’m coming from a place of intelligence. You and your like are coming from a place of ignorance.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The big thing about Rousey and why I think it is ridiculous for her and other to suggest that she created the revenue merely on her own merit and that other Women's sports "just need to bring in more revenue" is that she was a bit of a fraud from the start.

She was heavily promoted coming from Judo to UFC. UFC WANTED her to succeed because she would make them money, something other sports leagues have been less willing to do. They promoted the hell out of her and allowed her to fight in a much lower weight class, which allowed her to dominant fighters who she was bigger than in a sport and weight class where there wasn't much talent to begin with.

She was a championship grappler, and that is how she beat these women. The second she went up against a championship quality striker, she got her butt handed to her. No other major women's sport has weight classes or the ability to duck quality competition.

Obviously the UFC wanted women's MMA to be successful and they needed a vehicle to help accomplish that. That said she was still a big star, far bigger then any current female UFC fighter.

It wasn't just the female fighters that got far more technical, most of the male fighters today are more technical as well.

They did the same thing with Brock Lesner. He had zero technical skills, pretty much over whelmed people with his size and athleticism but brought a bunch of attention to the sport.

To suggest that all it is takes is promoting something heavily and it will entice people to watch is a bit of a reach.

Ghost12

Reaction score
No, I’m coming from a place of intelligence. You and your like are coming from a place of ignorance.
Nope. Your constant stream of ad hominem attacks towards those who disagree with you prove that the very last place you are coming from is a place of intelligence.

You have no intelligent replies, so you just insult people who disagree with you and ignorantly think you've made some sort of point.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Nope. Your constant stream of ad hominem attacks towards those who disagree with you prove that the very last place you are coming from is a place of intelligence.

You have no intelligent replies, so you just insult people who disagree with you and ignorantly think you've made some sort of point.
I only disagree with the constant, post after post, thread after thread negative Nancy's like yourself. You reap what you sow. Deal with it and quit your whining.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

She wasn't a fraud and nobody was forced to watch her fights. She got promoted heavilly after the UFC realized people were watching her fights. .....which were exciting and usually over quickly. Once other women realized they could make real money in the UFC, a higher caliber of female fighter emerged, but they would have had no opportunity were it not for Rousey. All of them owe her.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a double edged sword.

Why don't we have 4K cable channels? Because there aren't enough 4KTVs. Why aren't there enough 4KTVs? Because they used to be very expensive and the content didn't warrant it. You have to have catalysts for change. In the case of 4K, the tvs got cheaper and cheaper as are the cameras.

With soccer you need success at the USMNT level, you need the continued expansion of MLS and NWSL. You need the continued expansion of developmental academies across the country, and you really need an end to pay to play.

There is A LOT of young talent that should be in place for the 2022 World Cup. The question is whether Berhalter will focus on this youth movement rather than sticking with veteran players.

With soccer, its been the same story since the 70's. Soccer has been an "up and coming" sport since I was kid. The model for developing talent has been established in Europe. All we have to do is follow it. But, we continue to leave the sport in the hands of volunteer dads, high schools, and colleges..........we may keep the scores close against the big powerhouse nations, but even an average fan see that the disparity in talent is far greater than the final score. Its been that way for the past 50 years. All that changes are the names on the jerseys.

StylisticS

Reaction score
With soccer, its been the same story since the 70's. Soccer has been an "up and coming" sport since I was kid. The model for developing talent has been established in Europe. All we have to do is follow it. But, we continue to leave the sport in the hands of volunteer dads, high schools, and colleges..........we may keep the scores close against the big powerhouse nations, but even an average fan see that the disparity in talent is far greater than the final score. Its been that way for the past 50 years. All that changes are the names on the jerseys.
Not only that but people like Garber and Gulati (especially him) continue to hold the development of this sport hostage.
Just go to these links here on twitter and you will see the problems with the sport in this nation.

https://twitter.com/search?q=reformussf&src=typd
https://twitter.com/search?q=boycottsumproperties&src=typd

Also, this thread discusses the problem with the sport here.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/ussf-sum-mls-conflicts-of-interest.2077857/

USSF-Infographic-02.jpeg

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not only that but people like Garber and Gulati (especially him) continue to hold the development of this sport hostage.
Just go to these links here on twitter and you will see the problems with the sport in this nation.

https://twitter.com/search?q=reformussf&src=typd
https://twitter.com/search?q=boycottsumproperties&src=typd

Also, this thread discusses the problem with the sport here.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/ussf-sum-mls-conflicts-of-interest.2077857/

USSF-Infographic-02.jpeg

Fun argument. Who cares about the neutrality of US soccer? Unless someone can show that the soccer bylaws are being written in a way that impedes progress, I don't understand how this explains the lack of talent.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
For the men yes. The women US women are kicking *** and taking names.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Fun argument. Who cares about the neutrality of US soccer? Unless someone can show that the soccer bylaws are being written in a way that impedes progress, I don't understand how this explains the lack of talent.
The explanation of lack of talent and the bylaws go hand in hand. That's what "#reformussf" is mostly about. The people writing the bylaws are also in charge of how the game develops in this country.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The explanation of lack of talent and the bylaws go hand in hand. That's what "#reformussf" is mostly about. The people writing the bylaws are also in charge of how the game develops in this country.

Should we expect "not for profit" entities to develop talent? Our best chance of developing talent is for MLS teams to establish soccer academies staffed with foreign coaches. The next step would be for those academies to blend academics with the sport and become all-in-one schools for those who try out and merit inclusion. But someone has to float these academies until they get to a point of being able to sell players for revenue.

IMO, US soccer should stay out it since they've proven inept over a LONG period of time.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Should we expect "not for profit" entities to develop talent? Our best chance of developing talent is for MLS teams to establish soccer academies staffed with foreign coaches. The next step would be for those academies to blend academics with the sport and become all-in-one schools for those who try out and merit inclusion. But someone has to float these academies until they get to a point of being able to sell players for revenue.

IMO, US soccer should stay out it since they've proven inept over a LONG period of time.
So just give up like a bunch of millennial quitters.

StylisticS

Reaction score

You're repeating what people on reformussf says all the time and I tend to agree with you. It's up to the USSF and MLS, especially, to establish the academies and start teaching these kids how to play the game instead of just teaching them to win. But it's not just MLS. It's USL, NASL, or any other leagues to establish a system that is affordable and high in quality. But they will never get rid of pay to play which costs parents thousands of dollars pricing out kids in the inner cities.

There is an article earlier this year written on d**dspin (can't post articles from them on here I see) talking about how the pay to play is not only affecting parents, but affecting even the fans.

This is why I say the lack of talent and bylaws go hand and hand. It's all about money here and not about the game.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
For the men yes. The women US women are kicking *** and taking names.

I doubt any laws/bylaws are the reason there is a lack of success in Men’s soccer. Quite frankly, it has everything to do with earning potential. In this country, if you are an elite athlete, you can make hundreds of millions playing football, basketball, baseball but not soccer. So elite athletes will gravitate towards those sports. Even the top NHL players make x2 the top MLS players.

In other countries, soccer is king. The top athletes, tend to play that. Some do basketball, but football and baseball aren’t big in Europe.

If the NFL were to go away, it may take a decade or longer, but we’d probably start producing elite soccer players